Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 15 Aug 15, 02:50 AM  
Link to this Post
ando88
Helping Mickey

Mobile my thoughts on Disney and Universal character breakfast...

So having done a breakfast at chef mickey and also one at Cafe la bamba (universal) I thought I would pen my thoughts on here for others as they are both very different!

1. The obvious difference is the characters. We saw mickey,Minnie, goofy and Donald. At la bamba w3 saw Dora,sponge bob, squidwood,minions, gru,diego and a couple of others who I wasn't sure who they were!

2. Quality of food SLIGHTLY better in chef mickeys,but both pretty poor to be honest!

3. Character interaction they were miles apart! Disney they just came round,had a pic and maybe a little interaction and then moved on. Cafe la bamba was great! We spent an hour there and saw so many characters. They posed for pics,spent ages interacting with you and didn't seem like they were rushing at all. It was awesome at Cafe la bamba.

3. Chef mickeys generally felt a lot more rushed than cafe la bamba.

To caviat all this, we had disney at 0840 and Universal at 1030. So clearly being later may have helped,but I still think the interaction was far better at universal! Hope this helps someone! If not,it's passed 10mins of my time writing it! Ha
ando88 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 15, 04:21 AM  
Link to this Post
indie2312
Apprentice Imagineer

Oh god chef mickeys is poor in my opinion the waiter hovered around us after he dropped the bill off once the characters come around, we weren't finished it felt vey rushed if we weren't on the dining plan there was no way it cost $180 for the amount we ate. Also found Disney do not like giving out milk they found it hard to do but we saw same characters as you, the grand Floridian 1900 park fayre is much better In my opinion better character interaction and food. We went last week

Have not done a universal but some good characters there you met and glad had better experience!

indie2312 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 15, 06:32 AM  
Link to this Post
laney1980
Apprentice Imagineer

We also really enjoyed universal breakfast, didn't think the food was as good at universal, we had brilliant food and interaction at Disney Hollywood and Vine.

Character interaction was amazing at universal, the other characters you would have seen were a giant bunny, EB and the pink beret bunny from the film Hop. For anyone else who books it, watch the film, my kids loved it and these characters!
laney1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 15, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
alannamr
Serious Dibber

We did cafe la bamba in universal this year and crystal palace and tusker house in disney. We enjoyed all three. I must agree that the food in disney was much better (crystal palace being the best in my opinion). The character interaction was much better in universal (gru took my mobile and took 100+ selfies which the children thought was hilarious! ). Universal breakfast took the most time as the charcaters came in 2 sittings and for us gru and minion (can't remember which one!) was in the second sitting and they were the ones that we wanted to see the most! The characters were very slow in coming around the tables in Crystal Palace but much quicker in Tusker House. We had an early booking at Tusker House which meant that we were in a great position them to just walk straight to the safari ride with no queues.

Overall, i must say that i really enjoy all of the character meals - they are fantastic but not sure how much the kids really eat!
alannamr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 15, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ando88
Helping Mickey

Mobile

Originally Posted by alannamr View Post
Overall, i must say that i really enjoy all of the character meals - they are fantastic but not sure how much the kids really eat!
Haha. Agreed! My wife and I both noticed that the little man seemed far too excited about the characters too eat!
ando88 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 15, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post

I think the food quality of food varies depending on the breakfast place, we did a breakfast at Crystal Palace and thought the food was pretty good actually.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 15, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
peagusus66
Imagineer

we loved the universal character breakfast, we were also at the later sitting and were the only one's there apart from one other family who were leaving we had dora, diego, sponge bob, squidward, patrick, EB (from hop) gru (was amazing right in character and so funny) a minion, the lady there asked if there was anyone shannon had been looking to meet and she said bart simspon and he was with us 5 mins after...just amazing I really think universal are giving disney a huge run for their money and are starting to overtake them