Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Mar 17, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
speedygonzales
Excited about Disney

Route suggestion for MCO to POR via groceries

For the first time in 4 trips I'm driving out of MCO(normally take cab or shuttle) and for the first time we're staying on-site at Disney, Port Orleans Riverside.

I'm wondering what is the best route to take out of MCO with a plan to stop of at a Walmart or similar to pick up supplies, mainly breakfasts & drinks etc.

I was initially thinking heading north out of the airport then on to the 528 (Beachline Expressway), stopping at the LARGE Walmart on Turkey Lake Road, then south on either the I-4 or staying on the Palm Parkway which goes quite close to POR.

However, I'm now thinking I don't really need the LARGE Walmart, there must be other stores conveniently closer so was thinking heading South from MCO, on to 417 and stopping for groceries en-route to Disney.

Does anyone have any suggestions for stores, or personal experiences (good or bad) they'd like to share?
speedygonzales is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Personally I'd go straight to POR and get rid of all my luggage and paperwork etc, rather than leaving them unattended in a car in a Supermarket car park.

Also if you don't need a large supermarket, I'd suggest a Publix for a more relaxing buying experience than Wallmart.
Mrs PPM works for Asda so gets staff discount at Wallmart, but we still prefer to pay a wee bit extra and go to Publix.

I'm sure there would be one around the LBV area.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I agree with PPM, too high risk to leave luggage. Plus you may struggle to get shopping and a slab of water in the car if you have loads of cases.

I would do the check in proces, get unpacked then pop to Publix on Vineland. Far nearer than the Turkey Lake Walmart and nicer.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

I can't face going out again once I've got to my hotel but then DH always stays in the car while I pop into the supermarket.

When staying onsite I usually just stop at a garage for water and then we go out to Walmart at 5am the following morning because we almost never manage to sleep past 4am on the first day.

Publix at Vineland is a good choice but if it's between 4pm and 6pm it can be a bit of a struggle to turn right back onto the 535.

If you want a quick stop for a few things then the Winn Dixie at Lake Buena Vista is easy to find. Just stay on the 535 past the junction with Palm Parkway and it is on your right on the same lot as ABC wines.

I always turn the sat nav off when entering Disney property or Miss Dizzy gets all in a tizzy and takes us to Epcot.

Soo to get to POR from LBV all you have to do is turn right onto Hotel Plaza then right onto Buena Vista Drive - follow the signs for SSR and pass OKW on Vacation Club way.

Turn right at the lights onto Bonnet Creek and POR is just there. Very little traffic on this route.

Edited at 10:53 AM.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 17, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
speedygonzales
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks for all the replies, I think we'll stop before we get to the hotel but will leave someone in the car, we'll be no more than 15 minutes picking up a handful of essentials.
We're up at 0500hrs at Edinburgh, by the time we get to the hotel it could feel like 2300hrs, not sure if I'll be going back out from the hotel anytime soon.
We've got a standard SUV, only 3 passengers and 2 cases so space won't be an issue.

Thanks again.
speedygonzales is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 17, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
wintersun
Apprentice Imagineer

wintersun's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 10
We had intended stopping off on our way to POFQ for some essential supplies, however, did not think about luggage. So we will now head straight to POFQ. Pick up supplies after check in.
wintersun is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List