Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Mar 17, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Thomas Cook, Free Car Upgrade

I received a confirmation of a change to our return flight (30 mins), but noticed something I had not seen in the small print.

Complimentary car hire upgrade is available if you book between 24 March 2016-30 September 2016 for travel dates 01 April 2017-31 March 2018.

I contacted them via web chat and asked for my upgrade, I only booked an economy.

The agent said, only available if you book our insurance.

I state it does not say this in your small print of T & C,S.

Next minute, we can offer you a free upgrade, would you like it.

Yes please, upgraded and new confirmation sent.

Just goes to show, read the small print and
P.s. Never take there insurance, it only costs £90 online for the same cover.

Edited at 08:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Hi, I'm curious about the insurance being £90 online. Where do you get this as we have the car hire with tc but haven't booked the insurance yet. Would be interested to compare. Thanks.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Go to moneymaxim.co.uk or type car hire insurance into google and use a comparison website. As far as I have been able to gather you need CDW and SLI to be fully covered. Current price for annual cover is £82.99 with carhireexcess.com, its £63 for 14 days

Edited at 11:33 PM.
Old 20 Mar 17, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post

P.S. TC wanted £390 for there standard and £490 for the Gold, just decline insurance when you pick the keys up, make sure you have your insurance details with you. The insurance included with the free car is worth nothing
Old 20 Mar 17, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Thanks will check this out.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Jlo31
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Griffo59 View Post
Go to moneymaxim.co.uk or type car hire insurance into google and use a comparison website. As far as I have been able to gather you need CDW and SLI to be fully covered. Current price for annual cover is £82.99 with carhireexcess.com, its £63 for 14 days
In theory these policies should work but just be prepared for a large hold on your credit card and if the worst happened and your involved in an accident there will be more paperwork involved.

You are responsible for the whole value of your vehicle. Small claimes you will be expected to pay upfront then reclaim but if you wrote of the car then I believe the insurance companies may deal direct. As has been stated you must make sure the policy has the SLI (extends Liabity cover to $1000000) as the standard third party cover that comes with the car can be as low as $10000

Personally I prefer to book through a uk broker and have the CDW (0 excess) and sli cover included but I can see how these policies can be attractive for those offered the 'free car' option.
Jlo31 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

To be perfectly honest I will either just pay the insurance with the travel company or not take the car ( if I can get my upgrade price back) and book a car separately
Old 21 Mar 17, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Jlo31
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
To be perfectly honest I will either just pay the insurance with the travel company or not take the car ( if I can get my upgrade price back) and book a car separately
Might be the safest option.

I do use these types of policies myself but only in Europe as normally the excess is only up to around €1000 so that's my maximum risk exposure if the policy didn't pay up or went bust that's the most I can loose.

In the US it's the whole value of the car plus the lawsuit from third party if I was the cause of the accident. I just feel happier with the rental companies own CDW and SLI.

Just my opinion though.
Jlo31 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Thanks !
Old 21 Mar 17, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Jlo31
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Griffo59 View Post
Moneymaxim is a great site and where I bought my euro policy from.

I'm sure these us policies are fine and protected by fco so even if went bust you should be protected.

Just not something I would personally choose as would prefer the least amount of hastle if an accident occurred.

Have a great holday though.

Cheers

James