Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Mar 17, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by Jlo31 View Post
Moneymaxim is a great site and where I bought my euro policy from.

I'm sure these us policies are fine and protected by fco so even if went bust you should be protected.

Just not something I would personally choose as would prefer the least amount of hastle if an accident occurred.

Have a great holday though.

Cheers

James
There are also reports of some hire companies refusing to accept the policy you have arranged and then trying to charge you a fortune for insurance. So if you do decide to go down this route then make sure that whoever provides the car will accept the policy.

The so called 'free car' is not that at all, although I have no doubt some unsuspecting souls have taken the car and driven it for two weeks with less than adequate insurance.

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
As per Robert above, I know some on here use these cheapie Policies. 99% of us won't touch them with a bargepole!

Great for a European excess reduction though.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 17, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Just thought I would update.
Contacted tc today and got them to take my upgrade off (£199) and after enquiring about the cost of their insurance (496.01!) I let them know that we wouldn't be taking the car.
I had a look about then remembered I had avios to use. So just booked a SUV ( which I like in USA ) for £205 plus my points, which I would struggle to put towards a flight.
We done the same last year when in California for three weeks , so for us a good use of them.
I'm pretty pleased as i have saved almost £500 just by having a read on here.
Edited to add that yes, I could also have gotten cheaper on a comparison site etc but still saved about 180-200 on those prices as well.

Edited at 12:18 AM.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 17, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
Just thought I would update.
Contacted tc today and got them to take my upgrade off (£199) and after enquiring about the cost of their insurance (496.01!) I let them know that we wouldn't be taking the car.
I had a look about then remembered I had avios to use. So just booked a SUV ( which I like in USA ) for £205 plus my points, which I would struggle to put towards a flight.
We done the same last year when in California for three weeks , so for us a good use of them.
I'm pretty pleased as i have saved almost £500 just by having a read on here.
Edited to add that yes, I could also have gotten cheaper on a comparison site etc but still saved about 180-200 on those prices as well.
well done, another win for the DIBB. Now if we could only get tour operators to stop claiming they provide a 'free car'

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 17, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Agree with above 100% but we must exclude BA from this as they include all that's needed.
The rest use at the very least sharp practice yes they include the legal minimum but not a level that provides required cover to leave no out of pocket expenses.
Like others I personally wouldn't buy from a 3rd party supplier as I don't want my holiday stuffed by having to spend very valuable time sorting an accident out till insurance company takes over.
I am a transportation manager and do this regularly but I personally don't these even for Europe.
I find a European provider with zero excess last one in Canaries cost me the grand total of minus £2.25 to best price on comparison sites and then buy an excess policy to all shop around and choose best for your group.