Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Mar 17, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzieinfrance
I want to go now!

Mobile Tolls around Orlando

Hi, lots of questions on the run up to our holiday. Can we just pay cash at the tolls around Orlando, or do we need to use the sunpass lanes? We will be staying around Sandy Ridge, visiting downtown Disney, the Disney parks, universal and a day over at the Kennedy space centre. Thanks
Lizzieinfrance is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 17, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post

You can pay at the tolls, just the very occasional exit toll you will need the correct change (must be coins) because it isn't manned. Any manned toll will give change, including a roll of quarters if you ask, up to $20.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 17, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Fraser789
Very Serious Dibber

Yes you can use cash on the tolls. Last year the only tolls I went through was the ones on the way to and from the airport.
Fraser789 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 17, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

the only times you'll probably need to do toll roads is from the airport and the trip to KSC. driving around central orlando you can generally avoid tolls.

who are you renting with? alamo have a pretty reasonable toll fee system, so you might actually be better using the sunpass lane on the trip to KSC
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 17, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

as above in / around orlando you can easily avoid tolls

to from the airport / kennedy / cocoa beach we just use the cash lanes

never had a sun pass in all our visits
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 17, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Time for my regular photos courtesy of Google Streetview As others have said there are no cashless tolls in the Orlando area but there are unmanned ones usually on the on/off ramps.

Here's a typical plaza on the main highway. Keep right, pay cash and ask for change.

This is the off ramp plaza from 417 to Celebration Avenue where you need quarters to throw into the chute. 75 cents last week.

Mick
Old 24 Mar 17, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mick. Nice to have you back from your 4 week vacation. I did so miss your 'toll photos'!

Joking aside they are handy for those who are unsure.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 17, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Mick. Nice to have you back from your 4 week vacation. I did so miss your 'toll photos'!

Joking aside they are handy for those who are unsure.
Tom

You know what they say? "You can take the man out of Yorkshire, but you can't take Yorkshire out of the man"

Even though we had the Alamo e-pass enabled at the cheapest admin rate of $3.75 a day we still used the cash lanes. When we went to the Loop on Osceola there's a £2 toll. Why pay $3.75 more to save a 30 second queue

I think we were caught out one day though. Joan's brother was on a long cruise from Southampton which docked at Tampa whilst we were there so we arranged to meet up with them. Managed to go through a cashless toll both ways near the terminal. It wasn't even a traditional plaza though - just scanners in an overhead gantry.

Mick
Old 24 Mar 17, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Tom

You know what they say? "You can take the man out of Yorkshire, but you can't take Yorkshire out of the man"

Even though we had the Alamo e-pass enabled at the cheapest admin rate of $3.75 a day we still used the cash lanes. When we went to the Loop on Osceola there's a £2 toll. Why pay $3.75 more to save a 30 second queue

I think we were caught out one day though. Joan's brother was on a long cruise from Southampton which docked at Tampa whilst we were there so we arranged to meet up with them. Managed to go through a cashless toll both ways near the terminal. It wasn't even a traditional plaza though - just scanners in an overhead gantry.

Mick
Mick. Oh no! Terrible news, that admin fee will worry you now for weeks!

I pay twice per vacation. Up and down the Beachline and thats it. I dodge around the rest. I'm on vacation I am not rushing anywhwere!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 17, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Discovered the other day that there's one unmanned/no cash toll in the Orlando area. It's the last toll on the end of the 429 near Mt Plymouth.

We got our $3 "fine"/service charge in the mail last week.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List