Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 6 Nov 13, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post

California Grill Dinner.

I have spend hours on the computer to get this reservation. Everyday i was checking if the window had opened yet and it paid off cause it got an 7:30 pm dinner reservation!

We got an very short wait here and even got our table before our ADR. A lovely lady took us up to the 15th floor of the Contemporary Resort and we got an awesome table at the window with castle view!

I just love the walls full of wine and I enjoy myself a couple of glasses so now and then. I could'nt resist ordering a bottle here. We chose the Raats ''Unwooded'', Chenin Blanc. I think it was a nice easy wine. I guess many people would like this. Not too dry but on the light side. If you like complex wines this is not your thing. We liked it tho! Tasted great with the sushi!

First we got served a basket of bread wich include sourdough bread and lavender infused focaccia bread with a salted butter. We really liked it. Very light lavender taste wich makes the bread taste lighter in some way.

We also got a sprite since it was part of the Dining Plan and now on to the appetizers.

We both choosed from the sushi menu. The California Combination Roll and the Pork Belly Nigri. Ohhh we enjoyed this so much! Best sushi ever! Fresh and well balanced flavours in the California Roll. The crab meat was alsmost like silk! Smooth and flavourfull. The Pork Belly Nigri i think was just awesome. Great if you do not like fish, it is quite a filling plate and very hearty. Nice brown sauce on top of it. Love love love pork belly in general so this is great!

Entree...

Pork Two Ways. It's like having two dishes on a plate. Soft perfectly cooked Tenderloin with goat cheese polenta and mushrooms, and the lacquered belly with apple compote and glaze wich is a much sweeter pork dish. I loved these two on the plate. The left more salty and the right more sweet.

Oak-fired Filet of Beef. Looks like a simple piece of meat on the plate but it was just perfect. Cooked to perfection, pink all trough. Served with a tomato risotto and a unknown yellow sauce wich was delicious. My boyfriend favourite dish of the whole trip.

To finish te meal we couln't say no to dessert.

Chocolat Pudding Cake wich was awesome! Smooth bar like type of chocolat. Very very nice if you are into chocolat. It was served with Meringue Kisses and a Mint Chantilly. Perfect not too heavy chocolat dessert.

Sundea Sampler. How fun does this look?! I just had to order it. It contains a small caramel dessert with popcorn, a coke float and a strawberry and basil dessert. I have to say it was nice but not as good as the chocolat dessert. I didn't like the coke float but it's just not my thing. I think this is more of a fun dessert than outstanding delicious. It's really not bad, don't get me wrong but the rest of the food was just perfect and this was just ok.

If you have a late dining reservation you can watch the fireworks from the decks the restaurant have. Great view and a perfect ending to a perfect meal.

Please add this restaurants to your to do list folks. It's just outstanding

Cost:
California Combination Roll $24
Pork Belly Nigri $22
Pork Two Ways $37
Oak-fired Filet of Beef $49
Chocolat Pudding Cake $13
Sundea Sampler $12
Raats ''Unwooded'', Chenin Blanc. $49 (not on dining plan)
2x Sprite $6.38
Total + Tax = $225.12.
or
4 Dining Points.

Edited at 05:45 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 13, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Can someone confirm the prices of Coke products in Disney restaurants. I thought it was 3.19 but i am not sure.
Old 6 Nov 13, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

California Grill

The wine is Chateau de Montfort. ABC Liquor probably could have sold you a bottle to bring home for about $14.

The food looks good and it is refreshing to see a Disney restaurant not overcooking Pork loin.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 13, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 34
Loved your review of California Grill, food looks awesome. Would agree its an amazing restaurant not to miss, we ate here last year and had the best meal of the holiday. x
Old 6 Nov 13, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
fabulous reviews, we had sushi and the sundae sampler at california grill last week and I agree with your comments on them and the bread and the overall experience. Cali has never disappointed us yet.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 13, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mossyflossy View Post
fabulous reviews, we had sushi and the sundae sampler at california grill last week and I agree with your comments on them and the bread and the overall experience. Cali has never disappointed us yet.
If we visit again whe are gonna do this restaurant again. It was our favourite signature as well!
Old 7 Nov 13, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Moleymole
Imagineer

It looks wonderful!
OKW again 2015 and Anna Maria
2017 Contemporary Resort & Anna Maria
ALWAYS AUGUST!

August 2022 my 50th! - Universal Hardrock Hotel, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk villas, Polynesian, Anna Maria Island.

Moleymole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 13, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
dragsapphire
Excited about Disney

Loving the food report. Can't wait for the next installment
dragsapphire is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 13, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Flame Tree BBQ Lunch.

Next stop we have the Flame Tree BBQ. One of the quick service restaurants I really wanted to go. Everybody seems to like this one!

We ordered the chicken and ribs combo wich is served with cole slaw and some beans. Loved the beans as a side, it had little pieces of pulled pork in it wich was great as a side. Cole slaw was ok but nothing special. I liked this dish but i had better ones on property. I liked that it wasn't so greasy but it there was just nothing special about it.

Boyfriend had the pulled pork sandwich wich was very nice. Nice soft bunch and loaded with juicy meat. Great pick! Also served with the cole slaw.

For dessert we both had the chocolat mouse wich was very nice. Light and creamy. Loved the halloween sprinkles!

We both had a sprite to drink.

And this awesome view from our table:

I think this was just an ok lunch. Nothing wrong with it but maybe a bit on the pricey side when paying out of the pocket.

Cost:
Pork Sandwich $9.19
Ribs and Chicken Combo $15.19
2x Chocolat Mouse $7.98
2x Sprite $5.38
Total + Tax = $40.00
or
2 (quick) dining points.
Old 27 Nov 13, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post

'Ohana Dinner

Another meal I was really looking forward to! And when we arrived we immediatly saw that this restaurant was popular. It was packed! The lounge did not have another seat available.

First off I am gonna excuse myself for the lack of picture. I don't know what got into me... maybe it was the lapu lapu or the feel at home mood I was in but taking pictures was not of the plan obviously.

We where handed the buzzer again and waited for our table. I was so worried that it was like an 2 hour wait but within 30 minutes we had our table. Our cousin introduced himself, we are all family at 'ohanas

And we started of with a cocktail.

How can you resist this? It's a pineapple filled with alcohol It does'nt get any more fun as that right? I loved it! It was tropical with quite a big splash of booze! A keeper for sure.

My boyfriend went for the backscratcher that came with an actual backscratcher wich was really cool! He liked it as well. Same type of tropical cocktail made with mixed juices and a really genorous splash of booze.

Dinner at 'Ohana contains a set menu. But I bet this one will tingle lots of different palates.

We started off with a nice salad with a passion fruit vignagrette. I liked it! The passionfruit made this salad totally in place and added a lovely tropical touch. We where also serverd a pineapple bread. Worked great with the salad and came to our table freshly baked. Great start!

Next up where a skillet with pork dumplings and the honey chicken wings wich where delicious. I really liked the wings! They where sweet, salty and stickey.

Also we where given three dipping sauces. Peanut, Sweet & Sour and a chimichurri. They where all so tasty but the big winner by far was the peanut sauce. How do they make this? I need to know.

Then we where brought a plate of stir fry vegtables wich included broccoli and mushrooms with peanut noodles. Noodles where great! Loved the peanut flavor and the noodles where nice and firm. I hate it when they are mushy.

Then the meat came! Oak grilled chicken, asian bbq pork loin, marinated sirloin steak and spicy shrimp. How delicious! They where so flavorfull, sizzling hot and with nice grill marks. My favourite where the shrimps. I could eat a whole plate of those!

My not so nice looking place:

The fire pit where they prepare the delicious skewers:

To end the amazing meal we where served a bread pudding with banana foster sauce. My boyfriend made it his. Loved it!

Loved our meal at 'Ohana. It will be in the top 5 for sure! I think this is great for everyone. Groups, couples and with children. This must be fun for everyone. It is a delicious feast! I could see myself celebrating my birthday here! Awesome!

Cost:
2x adult dinner $72.40
1x Lapu Lapu $12.99 (not on dining plan)
1x Back-scratcher $9.75 (not on dining plan)
Total + Tax = $100.85.
or
2 (table) dining points.

Really worth the money in my opinion!

Edited at 05:46 PM.