Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 21 Nov 14, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Dutchdisneyfan
Apprentice Imagineer

congratulations!
Looks like a great honeymoon.
Dutchdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 14, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymadhouse
Imagineer

disneymadhouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Great start! Looking forward to reading along, especially the cruise as we are on the Dream next year for Christmas!

1994 Lindfields Villa 1999 Polynesian/Disney Magic 2002 All Star Sports 2007 Best Western Lakeside 2012 OKW 2014 Disney Magic 2015 OKW/Disney Dream/AoA 2016 Disney Magic 2017 OKW 2018 Disney Dream / OKW / All Star Movies 2019 CBR
DVC Owner at OKW
disneymadhouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 14, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobsledwheels
Imagineer

Bobsledwheels's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
Pret breakfast - Virgin Atlantic dinner and afternoon tea

We arrived at the airport with what seemed like plenty of time and were trundling around shopping, when we suddenly realised the gate had been announced, and was closing in 10 minutes... and typically it was an age away!

We'd been planning on having a nice leisurely breakfast at Frankie and Bennies or similar, but that went out the window so we stopped by Pret to pick up some chocolate croissants to eat once seated.

They were really lovely! Still warm and with plenty of chocolate in the middle they certainly filled a hole. I think we got some bottles of water as well.

Not long after getting into the air we were served our first drinks and pretzels.

For some reason I love these pretzels! So salty and sour creamy all at once. Nom! Thankfully for me, Adam hates sour cream so I got two packets unluckily for Adam, he also managed to spill his whole beer all over himself and smelt like a brewery for the majority of the flight. He has now learnt to always take a spare set of clothes in his carry on!

The main meal was served not too long after the first round of snakcs - I was a good way through my first film so it was within the first two hours at some point. I'll post the menu in case anyone is interested!

Adam went for the Beef casserole 'Hearty family favourite of tender beef and vegetables. With sage and tomato.' He says he enjoyed it, which is good!

I chose the Roast chicken 'A popular British choice. With savoy cabbage and dauphinoise potatoes.' Now my choice wasn't available and I really don't like casserole, and couldn't do the leek as it had blue cheese and cream in it. I think the air hostess felt bad, so went off to see if they had any chicken in the other classes - and I ended up with a plated chicken from first class!

I don't know exactly what it was but it was a roast chicken in a slightly spiced sauce, served with leaves and gnocchi! It was gorgeous! Like not just 'good for plane food' nice, but like 'i'd totally like this in a restaurant' nice! Those first class chaps don't just get the beds... they get all the good food too! Maybe not worth £900 more... but still one day hey!

It came with a salad which went untouched as it included beetroot (adams bone of contention) and I just didn't fancy it. We also got bread rolls, crackers and cheese and a dessert as you'd expect - it was a spiced apple cake, with a custard. The custard was awesome! (The cake was ok too but I ruddy love custard ha!)

About half way through the flight we then chowed down on our wedding favours which I'd had extra made for us to eat on the way to our honeymoon

I love iced sugar cookies - totally my fave, these were tasty! And even better - a fab memory of the day before

Literally five minutes after finishing the cookies, we were brought ice lollies (sods law) but of course in the name of the food report... munched those too...

Fabs are great aren't they, totally remind me of being a kid!

About three hours later we were served afternoon tea, which was a cheese and sun dried tomato finger sandwich, Tyrrells Plane crisps and a Brodericks Caramental (Millionaire shortbread).

I swapped Adam his sandwich which he wouldn't eat due to sun dried tomato and mayo inclusion for his crisps and shortbread - so he ended up with sides and desserts essentially which he was happy with and as was I!

The sandwiches were really nice, I know most people aren't a fan, but I thought the sun dried tomato gave it a nice tang and they were just the right size.

We also had leftover wedding cake so finished that just before landing so that we didn't take it through customs... would have been rude not to.

And again shortly after we were given love hearts for our ears, nice touch.

Essentially by the time we landed we were stuffed! Good job Virgin atlantic! Will certainly try first class next time (if it's not astronomical!) but we had a nice experience with the food this time round and quite enjoyed most of what we were given and all of what we took with us. Thumbs up all round.

Apologies for the photos - the last weeks are a good bit better when I figure out how to use the camera lol

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08320.jpg
Views:	1959
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	58887   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08341.jpg
Views:	1951
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	58889   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08345.jpg
Views:	1957
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	58890   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08346.jpg
Views:	2013
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	58891   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08354.jpg
Views:	1971
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	58893  

Name:	DSC08357.jpg
Views:	1938
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	58894   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08360.jpg
Views:	1947
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	58895   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08365.jpg
Views:	1952
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	58896   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08350.jpg
Views:	1968
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	58897   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08339.jpg
Views:	1951
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	58898  

USA: Jan 07 10n off-site // Jan 12 5n NYC, 11n I-Drive //
Oct 14 3 wks - Honeymoon! YC // Oct 16 Orlando 14n OKW // May 17 2n Cali adv & DL // Dec 18 10n AKL

PARIS: Sept 12 3n at SL // Nov 13 4n SL // Nov 15 4n SL (cut short) // Nov 16 4n NPB
TOKYO // HONG KONG: April 16 4 Days TKDL & TKDS // May 16 1 Day HKDL
CRUISES: Oct 14 4n Bahamian // June 15 7n Norwegian inaugural // Sept 15 11n WBTA // May 17 5n West coast // May 17 7n Alaskan // Dec 18 4n Bahamian
Bobsledwheels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 14, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobsledwheels
Imagineer

Bobsledwheels's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by MissFortune View Post
Great start can't wait to read more.

Wowzers look at the list of all the cool places you ate at!

Keeping an eyed out for the next bit.
Hiya!

Thanks for reading along - we certainly did eat at a lot of places - still got a lot to eat at next time (if I can convince the hubby of another trip ha!)

Next bit is now up - hoping to have the next couple up tomorrow

Originally Posted by gtyrel10 View Post
Yay food report! Can't wait to see what you got to eat xx
Hiya Gemma! Hows it going? Thanking you for reading along Theres plenty of good nosh coming up! xx

Originally Posted by mancdisney View Post
Ooh looking forward to this!
Thanks for commenting and reading

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
Ooh, I love a fod report... Keep 'em coming
They will hopefully be coming thick and fast! Another one up now - thanks for reading!

Oct 14 3 wks - Honeymoon! YC // Oct 16 Orlando 14n OKW // May 17 2n Cali adv & DL // Dec 18 10n AKL

PARIS: Sept 12 3n at SL // Nov 13 4n SL // Nov 15 4n SL (cut short) // Nov 16 4n NPB
CRUISES: Oct 14 4n Bahamian // June 15 7n Norwegian inaugural // Sept 15 11n WBTA // May 17 5n West coast // May 17 7n Alaskan // Dec 18 4n Bahamian
Bobsledwheels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 14, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobsledwheels
Imagineer

Bobsledwheels's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
Congratulations!

Subscribing
Thank you muchly! We had a fab time, and ate soooo much! Plenty coming up! xx

Originally Posted by sbchannel View Post
Congratulations. This looks like it's gonna be a great report... Subscribing
Thank you for reading along and subscribing! And thanks for the congrats

Originally Posted by disneyoli View Post
Great start and congratulations

Look forward to the rest.
Thank you muchly! Theres defo plenty coming up

Originally Posted by Dutchdisneyfan View Post
congratulations!
Looks like a great honeymoon.
Thank you! It was such a fab honeymoon - loved every minute!

Originally Posted by disneymadhouse View Post
Great start! Looking forward to reading along, especially the cruise as we are on the Dream next year for Christmas!
Thank you muchly for reading along! The cruise was amazing - my fave bit without a shadow of a doubt - so much so we've booked a European one in June (with Disney - obvs!) its soooo good. Will be fab at Christmas!

Old 21 Nov 14, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Derryfam
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

I love the pretzels too xx
Derryfam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 14, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
Mobile

Great post! I love those pretzels! They have buckets of them for Christmas in lidl, I bought two :p I can't wait I haven't got time! You MUST tell me what it is your eating in that first pict I can't tell!

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 14, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
beck_loz
Imagineer

beck_loz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great post x
beck_loz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 14, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Hannikins View Post
Great post! I love those pretzels! They have buckets of them for Christmas in lidl, I bought two :p I can't wait I haven't got time! You MUST tell me what it is your eating in that first pict I can't tell!
Looks like a bagel... obv from the boardwalk bakery
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 14, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobsledwheels
Imagineer

Bobsledwheels's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Contempo Cafe dinner

It took us a while to get checked in and up to our rooms (Contemporary lifts?!) and so we only had an hour for dinner. I'd considered doing the wave on our first night, but they had a 30 minute queue and theres no way I was missing the fireworks!

So we ended up at the Contempo cafe, which is in the heart of the Contemporary and is a counter service restaurant.

I quite liked it really and it was ideal for end of the travel day. Granted I'd always prefer to eat at a table service restaurant if we can get in, but wouldn't book one on arrival day, and in reality I am not convinced i'd appreciate it anyways.

Contempo has a great counter which had some fab cakes in it. Given we'd eaten wedding cake and all sorts I decided against it but they did have some fab halloween cupcakes. I thought i had a photo but alas I do not.

They also have mickeys in the chair backs!

So the eats (and drinks)...

Adam decided to try again on the beer front and ordered another heineken, whilst i went for another lemonade - but minute maid this time. I will not be ordering it again! Was not my cup of tea, too syrupy.

For mains Adam picked Grilled Salmon fillet with Seasonal Vegetables and Wild Rice topped with Herb-Lemon Butter.

He liked it. Again thats all I am getting from Adam on this one ha! Oh hang on - he's just said it was nice enough but nothing special, but it was good considering how late it was. (Hey by the end I might get a whole paragraph! )

I went for the Pasta with Meatballs - Whole Wheat Penne Pasta, Meatballs, Marinara Sauce, and Parmesan with a Parmesan-crusted Breadstick

I enjoyed this as I really felt the need for some warm carby goodness and the breadstick was massive. Overall though it was bland - but ideal really for arrival evening. I think the breadstick could have done with some cheese inside it to kick it up a notch, and the sauce could have had more flavour to it, but overall - it was hot - it was filling - it was fine.

We were paying for the first few days at Disney as they were an add on (so no DDP) so have a cost for this one. It came to $32.62.

Wouldn't be back to Contempo in a hurry unless we stayed there again but a nice range of food and definitely no requirement to eat burgers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC08388.jpg
Views:	1841
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	58905   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08387.jpg
Views:	1934
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	58907   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08390.jpg
Views:	1870
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	58908   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08392.jpg
Views:	1875
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	58909   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08391.jpg
Views:	1865
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	58910