Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 5 Sep 16, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mandsjh
Apprentice Imagineer

Highs & lows ddp Aug 2016

Hi

4th visit, 4th time ddp. Just thought I'd share a few highs and lows in case it helps anyone! Family of 4, boys 11 & 8

Lows

Sanaa - not necessarily a low as we did have a nice meal but in 2015 it was our stand out. I was ever so slightly disappointed this time and it just didn't wow.

Boma - 3rd attempt. 1st was ok, 2nd was worst meal of the holiday. 3rd was still worst meal of the holiday we went because we were staying in AKL and it was good for first few days when we're still jet lagged. I felt everything was way, way too sweet. And I mean the savoury options. None of us enjoyed it.

Boathouse - noisey, very busy and food was just average. We paid oop as we didn't feel ddp was good value. I had fish tacos which were fine but the ones on the beach at bongos in st petes were cheaper and better. As a 1ts id say it was fine, as a 2ts I think there are better options.

Highs

Tiffins - by far the stand out meal of the holiday. Just wow. Loved the decor, ambiance and food. We've done pretty much every 2ts now and in our view this takes it a notch further.

Cali grill - best visit out of 4 over the years. Food was a step up from 2015. Very, very good

O'hana - 2nd visit, was underwhelmed 1st time but 4 years later we really enjoyed it. The steak was tender and medium rare which we love. Very nice meal.

Tusker - 1st visit. Loved it! Far nicer location than chef mickey and food choices were a bit different to crystal palace and chef mickeys.

We also ate at jiko, Sci fi, yak & yeti, narcoosee which were all very good.

Diet here we come!
Mandsjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
Yummy.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Shame about Sanaa - it wasour standout meal in 2015 too and are going back this year.
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
KFJames
Imagineer

KFJames's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Looking to try Sanaa on our next visit as we are staying at AKL, lets hope they were having an off day
Old 5 Sep 16, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
disneytrio
Imagineer

disneytrio's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Not heard any good reports about boathouse recently!
disneytrio is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Gipsy 4
slightly serious Dibber

Gipsy 4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Thanks. We enjoyed Sanaa this year second only to Cali Grill. Also enjoyed 50s Prime Time with our great server, Memory. We had our worst meal/experience at Via Napoli. They wanted us finished asap and took order for desert before main course arrived and presented bill before desert arrived. Then they insisted on the full tip. I had under tipped by $5 due to the rude impersonal service and he returned asking to put the extra on my room charge! Never again will we go there. There's too many better options.
Gipsy 4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBERIFFIC
Apprentice Imagineer

ROBBERIFFIC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Boathouse is only worth 2TS if you are having the Steak or Lobster, anything else not. Sanaa what a shame we have always had a fantastic meal there.
ROBBERIFFIC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBERIFFIC
Apprentice Imagineer

ROBBERIFFIC's Reviews
What?

Originally Posted by Gipsy 4 View Post
Thanks. We enjoyed Sanaa this year second only to Cali Grill. Also enjoyed 50s Prime Time with our great server, Memory. We had our worst meal/experience at Via Napoli. They wanted us finished asap and took order for desert before main course arrived and presented bill before desert arrived. Then they insisted on the full tip. I had under tipped by $5 due to the rude impersonal service and he returned asking to put the extra on my room charge! Never again will we go there. There's too many better options.
How can a server insist on a full tip? This is something new?
ROBBERIFFIC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 16, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Thanks for doing this. We are staying at AKL.

I know where you are coming from with Boma. We've done dinner twice and were underwhelmed. I had it as an adr as we are at AKL then cancelled it last week. Felt like I was doing it because we should not because I was looking forward to it. Have got Boma breakfast booked.

Can I ask what your children enjoyed at Tiffins. I am tempted to try but not sure what DD will eat there.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 16, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Mandsjh
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Thanks for doing this. We are staying at AKL.

I know where you are coming from with Boma. We've done dinner twice and were underwhelmed. I had it as an adr as we are at AKL then cancelled it last week. Felt like I was doing it because we should not because I was looking forward to it. Have got Boma breakfast booked.

Can I ask what your children enjoyed at Tiffins. I am tempted to try but not sure what DD will eat there.
Hi. I think a breakfast at boma is a much better idea!

Tiffins was great. Book the jungle book package (or rivers of light) as you get 3 courses for 2 credits.

My 11 year old was on the adult ddp. He had the wagyu beef (as did we) and it was amazing. He loves steak and loves medium rare so right up his street. It came with roast carrots, a few roast potatoes and a jus. Unfussy and delicious.

For starter he just had the bread option. Very, very nice.

For dessert, he had a mango mousse thing. Polished the lot off. He did have a few desserts off the kids menu (sushi at Cali grill & smores at narcoosee) but stuck with adult one this time.

My little one had steak off the kids menu (again he loves medium rare and it was a great piece of meat. That came with rice and green beans. Ate the lot.

I wouldn't hesitate to request anything swapping anywhere either. At jiko I requested plain basmati for them rather than ancient grains. At Cali grill I asked for Mac n cheese with the little ones steak rather than sweet potato fries. If your kids are on adult ddp I'd also get anything fancy left off if it doesn't appeal or swap bits here and there. They are very helpful.

Please ask away if I can help any further!

Edited at 11:24 AM.
Mandsjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List