Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Apr 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

California Toll Roads

Having just read a WDW post about tolls it made me wonder are there many tolls roads in California? Particularly in the LA/Palm Springs/San Diego areas?

If so do they take cash or will I need to rent an electronic toll pass as I have done in the past in New England?

Thanks for any info.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi we have been twice and never encountered a toll road on either trip
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve lived in California all my life and have been to almost every corner of the state, and I have never once used a toll road. There are one or two toll roads in Orange County and I believe in Los Angeles, but you don’t have to use them. You can easily ignore them and use the alternate lanes to get around. You will see Express Lanes (also called HOV) in some places...and you can use those for free as long as you have two or more people in your car. However, don’t enter any express lanes that say FasTrak Only on the overhead signs. You have to have a FasTrak transponder in your car to use those.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Thanks for your replies.

If we do get onto a toll road, do they still take cash?
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve never seen a toll road or a toll booth in Southern CA. In San Fran the Bridges have rolls. I think the lanes Aims is referring to require the FastTrak responder because I do recall seeing a FastTrak lane but never saw a toll booth on the route but you can’t really end up on a toll road accidentally out there.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Thank you for asking this as I was wondering just the other day. The tolls for the bridges in San Fran, can you pay cash for them? I think we'll be driving over Bay Bridge on our way to SFO from Yosemite

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Libby View Post
Thanks for your replies.

If we do get onto a toll road, do they still take cash?

No they don't. There aren't any tollbooths on the roads, all tolls are paid electronically online or through a mobile app. People who have a FasTrak account can also use that to pay toll fees.

But, as landandword17 pointed out, it would be extremely hard to end up on a toll road in California- you would have to chose to do it. All toll roads I have seen, and they are few,are clearly marked and you would have to consciously move into those lanes to end up on it. You are not forced onto them, and there are other freeway lanes you can stay in to continue on where you are going without using the toll lanes. I have gotten all over California without ever using a toll road.

smithlane, the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco no longer has manned tollbooths to stop and pay cash at. They are doing all electronic tolls now. Here is a good website with more info: goldengate/tolls/index.php From what I remember, you pay tolls going into San Francisco, but not going out of the city.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
No they don't. There aren't any tollbooths on the roads, all tolls are paid electronically online or through a mobile app. People who have a FasTrak account can also use that to pay toll fees.

But, as landandword17 pointed out, it would be extremely hard to end up on a toll road in California- you would have to chose to do it. All toll roads I have seen, and they are few,are clearly marked and you would have to consciously move into those lanes to end up on it. You are not forced onto them, and there are other freeway lanes you can stay in to continue on where you are going without using the toll lanes. I have gotten all over California without ever using a toll road.

smithlane, the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco no longer has manned tollbooths to stop and pay cash at. They are doing all electronic tolls now. Here is a good website with more info: goldengate/tolls/index.php From what I remember, you pay tolls going into San Francisco, but not going out of the city.
Fab thanks Aims

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
In all the times we’ve been we’ve never been on a toll road .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List