Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Apr 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kateb78 View Post
Hi Aims

Thanks so much for your amazing thread!

My husband and I are coming to San Diego next March. We'll be finishing our drive down Highway 1 with 3 (or maybe 4) nights in San Diego. Currently we like the look of Pacific Terrace but am just sorting through the choices as there are so many! My question is whether we should keep the car once we arrive in San Diego? I don't really have any concept of how much travelling we'll need to do to see everything in such a short time. Will a car hold us back? We're flying on to Las Vegas after San Diego so would happily drop the car off in advance if that would be beneficial.

Thanks again for all your help

Hi Kate I'm glad you have been enjoying the thread and finding it helpful! That is always good to hear.

My personal recommendation is to keep the car for San Diego. It's a compact city overall and most of the major attractions aren't terribly far apart, but the public transportation doesn't offer a lot of options for easily getting around outside the city center. Having a car is the easiest, most convenient way to get everywhere- most locals here drive because of the lack of good public transportation options (unless you are going into the city center, as I mentioned). Weekday rush hour traffic is a real thing here, so that could be a bit of a pain to deal with if you are driving anywhere during those times. If you decide to stay in the beach areas, such as Pacific Beach as you are looking at, a car is especially useful as public transport there is pretty much limited to buses- although there is also Uber or cabs.

Let me know if you come up with any other questions!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Hi Kate I'm glad you have been enjoying the thread and finding it helpful! That is always good to hear.

My personal recommendation is to keep the car for San Diego. It's a compact city overall and most of the major attractions aren't terribly far apart, but the public transportation doesn't offer a lot of options for easily getting around outside the city center. Having a car is the easiest, most convenient way to get everywhere- most locals here drive because of the lack of good public transportation options (unless you are going into the city center, as I mentioned). Weekday rush hour traffic is a real thing here, so that could be a bit of a pain to deal with if you are driving anywhere during those times. If you decide to stay in the beach areas, such as Pacific Beach as you are looking at, a car is especially useful as public transport there is pretty much limited to buses- although there is also Uber or cabs.

Let me know if you come up with any other questions!
Thank you Aims! There will definitely be more questions
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kateb78 View Post
There will definitely be more questions

Bring 'em on! Anytime you are ready, of course.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 19, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl1
VIP Dibber

Hi Amy, not sure if you will be able to help with this one but we will be driving from Burbank to San Diego and then from San Diego to Palm Springs a few days later. We were thinking about trying to pick somewhere mid route for a short stop, maybe for food but definitely a comfort break possibility. Due to having a car full of luggage we wouldnt really be looking for necessarily the most scenic stop or anything, just something enroute but safe. Usually we are never prepared and see hotels/restaurants from the highway but have no idea how to get to them on time lol
scottishgirl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottishgirl1 View Post
Hi Amy, not sure if you will be able to help with this one but we will be driving from Burbank to San Diego and then from San Diego to Palm Springs a few days later. We were thinking about trying to pick somewhere mid route for a short stop, maybe for food but definitely a comfort break possibility. Due to having a car full of luggage we wouldnt really be looking for necessarily the most scenic stop or anything, just something enroute but safe. Usually we are never prepared and see hotels/restaurants from the highway but have no idea how to get to them on time lol

Hmm...this is a tough one for me to answer because when we do any drives like these, we tend to do the same and go by what we see from the road- or we use Google Maps to find out where the next exit is that has some fast food places off the highway for a restroom and food break. The half way point between Burbank and San Diego would be around Dana Point or San Clemente. Between San Diego and Palm Springs half way would be around Perris, but it's not particularly nice in that area, so I would think of stopping a little sooner in Temecula or Murrieta. Those places are about an hour north of San Diego. Temecula has a cute little Old Town area right off the freeway that has some restaurants and antique shops. Some of it looks like a western town, and it's a safe area to stop. If you are taking the I-10 highway, you could also make a closer stop to Palm Springs in an area called Cabazon. There is a famous roadside attraction right off the highway called the Cabazon Dinosaurs. They are huge statues you will easily spot from the road and were featured in some movies like Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure. It's a quirky spot to stop off, stretch your legs and get some pics of the dinosaurs. I wouldn't bother with the little museum on the property, bit overpriced for what you get- a tourist trap. There is a Burger King fast food restaurant in the parking lot for restrooms and food, if you like. I wish I could help with more suggestions!

If anyone reading this has made the same drives and can recommend a particular stop, could you please post them here?

Old 2 May 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl1
VIP Dibber

Thanks Aims, I had spotted Temecula as a possibility so will have a further look there. Saw Dana Point mentioned as well and also thought maybe Carlsbad also. Trying to be organised this time but inevitably I arrive on holiday and instantly forget anything useful!
scottishgirl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Carlsbad is a good place to stop, too. Write some notes down or maybe screenshot these posts so you can look at them again before you get on the road

Old 6 May 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Hi Aims, A couple of questions about Petco Park. We want to go see the Padres when we are in SD and they have a Friar Family Day promotion on when we are there. Tickets are only $20 including a hot dog and a drink so really good value but as you would expect those seats are right at the very top so can you actually see the game from there and are there stewards everywhere to make sure you sit in the section you've paid for? Reason I ask is that we've been to see the Rays a couple of times and always bought tickets for the section we've wanted to sit in whereas friends that we've been with have bought the cheapest tickets available and then just come and sat with us anyway as there have always been loads of empty seats around and nobody checking the actual tickets?
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 19, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by fatblokeflorida View Post
Hi Aims, A couple of questions about Petco Park. We want to go see the Padres when we are in SD and they have a Friar Family Day promotion on when we are there. Tickets are only $20 including a hot dog and a drink so really good value but as you would expect those seats are right at the very top so can you actually see the game from there and are there stewards everywhere to make sure you sit in the section you've paid for? Reason I ask is that we've been to see the Rays a couple of times and always bought tickets for the section we've wanted to sit in whereas friends that we've been with have bought the cheapest tickets available and then just come and sat with us anyway as there have always been loads of empty seats around and nobody checking the actual tickets?
Hi FBF That’s great that you are going to a game! I have sat in those upper deck seats a couple times and was surprised by how nice the view of the field was then what I expected. It’s not bad at all, plus being up high gives you some very nice views of the city. The lower your row number, the closer to the field your seats will be (with row 1 being closest). The upper deck doesn’t have a cover though, so if you are going to an afternoon game you could be in direct sun for a good deal of the time depending on what side of the field you are sitting. Seats along the right field side (odd numbered sections) get sun for the longest period of time, and seats on the left field side (even numbered sections) get the most shade first. If your seats are on the sunnier right field side, I highly recommend bringing hats, sunglasses and sunscreen.

There are stewards (usually called ushers here) at the entrances into all the sections for anyone needing help finding their seats. I have seen the same thing happen at Petco Park with people moving to different open seats during the game. Ushers are usually around throughout the game, but I haven’t always seen them send people back to their original seats, if there are a lot of open seats available. I’ve seen that happen more often in the more premium/vip sections or where companies have booked a private party space that comes with it’s own seating area.

Just curious, which game are you going to?

Old 6 May 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Hi Amy it's the evening game on 29/7 v Orioles. We usually sit between home and 1st when we watch the Rays so somewhere like section 107 at Petco but the second tier up if that makes sense? We love the atmosphere at a baseball game so just hope it's the same at Petco.😀
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List