Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Jul 19, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile Supervising a Learner Driver

Well my son is well on his way to taking his test so he’s bought a car and I’m sitting in the left seat. Some of my fellow car drivers are nightmares, cutting in front , dangerous overtaking etc. He’s not far from taking his test and gets up to speed fairly quickly but the L plates are like a red rag to a bull.

Best motorists? That will be motorcyclists who give room and respect.

I’ve told him that once he passes his test to not even consider wearing P plates.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

I know exactly what you mean, my DS passed 2 weeks ago and we then got him a car, he is quite nervous about driving and a little slow but people have been so rude, beeping their horn at him etc just because they had to wait a few moments longer. DH went to buy him a P plate but I said no as I had read that some drivers target P drivers for insurance claims. Good luck to your DS on his test!
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Son only passed his test yesterday. We bought him P plates. I’m so naive it never even crossed my mind and we live in a cash for crash hotspot. Think I will tell him to take them off tomorrow.

Good luck to your son in his test !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
I’m having driving lessons at the minute and I know exactly what you mean, i always try to drive to the correct speed depending on the road and people just love to overtake me, even in dangerous situations. I’m always so wary when I’m overtaking bikes or parked cars as I’m worried about someone trying to overtake me whilst I’m doing it.

One time I was overtaking a very slow moving tractor type machine that was cutting hedges and luckily I checked my mirrors properly as two cars overtook me just as I was moving out to overtake.

Another occasion I stopped to give way to a couple of cars as there was only enough room for single file traffic and a car behind me overtook me, almost crashed head on into the oncoming cars and mounted the pavement to drive past them. It’s so scary!

Then again, it isn’t just learners, my other half is an experienced driver and one morning he was taking me to work, he was driving at the speed limit and a car overtook him and then drove really slowly over speed bumps and then once we got into a 60 zone he decided to speed off at a stupid speed (other half had gone to 60 so this driver must have been going much more) and then he sticks his arm out the window and waves! Strange!

The one thing that worries when I pass is other drivers being intimidating.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Agree on not getting P plates, my son didn’t want them and I wouldn’t allow it anyway. L plates are bad enough as people seem to believe it gives them free reign to intimidate and bully. P plates are worse as added to this is an inexperienced driver on their own. Best of luck to your son.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 04:20 AM  
Link to this Post

I had P plates (way back when) and I always thought they were a great idea, people showed me nothing but understanding.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Here in France if you want to learn to drive before you are 18 you have to do at least 20h with an instructor, your accompanying driver has to sit in in several 2h lessons and the young driver has to do at least 3000km practice.

We are currently doing this with DS17. I have to say that everyone treats him with respect - as we do with the other accompanied drivers. As this goes on for about 2 years, they do get traffic savvy which I think is the most important thing! Having said that, he has still to take his test!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

My daughter passed in May and we talked about P plates and decided against them. I did however get her a vinyl for her rear window which has a picture of a bear and says black box, please bear with me. She hasn't had any problems so far.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Funny that P Plates should be mentioned.

On Friday I was heading past a local retail park and I saw a Citroen in front of me with P plates. Every junction the driver was repeatedly stalling and other drivers were swerving around and getting impatient.

In the end I pulled alongside and noticed it was a young Lady driving. She was doing fine and the car was probably new that day as the tyres were slicked.

Where has patience gone. Give them some slack.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Cinderellas
Very Serious Dibber

Hope you all feel sorry for me then as I get this all day every day. Yes I’m a driving instructor. I’m giving up in the next couple of years ( early retirement) thank goodness. The roads have definately got worse and sometimes I dread my work . I feel sorry for my lovely pupils having to put up with the morons. Hopefully it makes them more careful drivers
Cinderellas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List