Notices

Old 16 Jul 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Milpston View Post
It's nearly here! I'm looking forward to your next trip report. I'm glad you got your parking sorted out. I was looking at options for ours next year a few days ago. Off to have a look at Amazing Animals as well allthough I'm desperately trying to cut out all of the add ons next year
I might actually finish the trip report this year

We’ve gone for the official Gatwick valet parking, we used it last year and found it good, and with young kids and what feels like a million things to carry we prefer not trying to negotiate transfer buses.

I came across Amazing Animals on here, I was initially looking into the Sloth encounter at Wild Florida as Alex loves sloths, then saw mentions of Amazing Animals as an alternative. There is a Tim Tracker video too. I know what you mean about the add ons though, I am still trying to decide whether to do MNSSHP and the Marvel character dining
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

I meant to add I am desperately hoping the BA pilot strikes don’t come to anything. I have a few anxieties around the flight part already as I decided not to pay to book seats as it was going to add a lot on, and everything I have read says that BA are good at keeping families together. It is the first time I haven’t had seats booked though as last year we got it for free because Barnaby was an infant, and our trips before that were before the airlines started charging.

We also had a hugely stressful time last year with checking in for our flights with BA. I never finished my trip report to post about the return part, but the return check in particular was a dreadful experience which left us standing at the check in desk for over an hour due to an issue with Barnaby which no one seemed able to resolve, then having to charge through security and getting to the gate just before boarding all starving as we were meant to be eating after we checked in. I was assured by BA afterwards that it was all down to Barnaby having turned 2 whilst we were away, and an error in giving us too many booking references, so it shouldn’t happen again, but I am definitely hoping for easier airport experiences this time
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Eccle View Post
I meant to add I am desperately hoping the BA pilot strikes don’t come to anything. I have a few anxieties around the flight part already as I decided not to pay to book seats as it was going to add a lot on, and everything I have read says that BA are good at keeping families together. It is the first time I haven’t had seats booked though as last year we got it for free because Barnaby was an infant, and our trips before that were before the airlines started charging.

We also had a hugely stressful time last year with checking in for our flights with BA. I never finished my trip report to post about the return part, but the return check in particular was a dreadful experience which left us standing at the check in desk for over an hour due to an issue with Barnaby which no one seemed able to resolve, then having to charge through security and getting to the gate just before boarding all starving as we were meant to be eating after we checked in. I was assured by BA afterwards that it was all down to Barnaby having turned 2 whilst we were away, and an error in giving us too many booking references, so it shouldn’t happen again, but I am definitely hoping for easier airport experiences this time
I have also not booked seats - as DD under 12 I know at least one of us will be sat with her. Could not justify £600 for return seats!
Also trying not to think about strike possibility-lots of flights out to MCO and nearby at that time of year - we will get there by hook or by crook! 😄
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
I have also not booked seats - as DD under 12 I know at least one of us will be sat with her. Could not justify £600 for return seats!
Also trying not to think about strike possibility-lots of flights out to MCO and nearby at that time of year - we will get there by hook or by crook! 😄
Glad it isn’t just me who has done that! I don’t mind if the 5 of us are in two groups, just as long as the younger two in particular end up by one of us. Alex at nearly 11 would be fine not directly next to us, but Sebastian hates sitting by people he doesn’t know, and as for Barnaby, no one unrelated would want to sit by a 3.5 year old BA do seem to make it very clear they will keep under 12s with you though so hopefully all fine. Like you I just couldn’t justify the booking cost.

And you’re right, we will get over there somehow whatever BA end up doing!
Old 16 Jul 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I will try and reassure you with the flights, well the sitting together at least, I don't have any magic to sprinkle for the potential strike

We've travelled with BA a few times. I have NEVER paid for seat selection and we have ALWAYS been sat together. So, all those previous trips at least one of the kids was under 12. I seem to think the seats were allocated for us before the 24 OLCI window opened. I just happened to look at my BA app a few days before and saw that we had seat numbers next to our names (I think it was 5 days before, sorry can't remember exactly). At that point I was able to move the seat to other available seats if I wanted.

This year Kate is 12, Max is 14 so I'm still not going to pay for seats. I'm hopeful, but this is my first experience of the seats being allocated at OLCI and not in advance. The other thing this year is there are now 6 of us as mum and dad are coming. I'm sure it will be fine but like you I'm still worrying. My plan is if we are separated on the outbound leg I will pay up for the return as this is when we will need it. The outbound daytime flight will be fine they will plug in and watch movies just fine, the return overnight flight would be tough on them to try and sleep next to strangers.

Fingers crossed for all of us. I really hope the strike doesn't happen. My brother in law is cabin crew for BA so I'll find out if he has any insider knowledge, but I doubt he will know any thing. He's in Rio at the moment and won't fly back until tomorrow.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I will try and reassure you with the flights, well the sitting together at least, I don't have any magic to sprinkle for the potential strike

We've travelled with BA a few times. I have NEVER paid for seat selection and we have ALWAYS been sat together. So, all those previous trips at least one of the kids was under 12. I seem to think the seats were allocated for us before the 24 OLCI window opened. I just happened to look at my BA app a few days before and saw that we had seat numbers next to our names (I think it was 5 days before, sorry can't remember exactly). At that point I was able to move the seat to other available seats if I wanted.

This year Kate is 12, Max is 14 so I'm still not going to pay for seats. I'm hopeful, but this is my first experience of the seats being allocated at OLCI and not in advance. The other thing this year is there are now 6 of us as mum and dad are coming. I'm sure it will be fine but like you I'm still worrying. My plan is if we are separated on the outbound leg I will pay up for the return as this is when we will need it. The outbound daytime flight will be fine they will plug in and watch movies just fine, the return overnight flight would be tough on them to try and sleep next to strangers.

Fingers crossed for all of us. I really hope the strike doesn't happen. My brother in law is cabin crew for BA so I'll find out if he has any insider knowledge, but I doubt he will know any thing. He's in Rio at the moment and won't fly back until tomorrow.
Thank you, that is reassuring. I will keep an eye out during the week before to see if anything appears. I just had a look and the outbound flight seems fine with lots of seats left, i’m a bit more worried about the return as there are only 20 unreserved seats in Premium, 3 of which are odd ones. But not worried enough to pay £250-300 to reserve them

I really hope it works out ok for you too, not long now until you’ll be on your way!
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

So after a reading a post on here I just rang BA to ask about upgrading our car group from a Chevrolet Tahoe to a Chevrolet Suburban (which we ended up getting upgraded to at the airport last year). Amazingly we now have the upgrade with a £230 refund!
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Eccle View Post
So after a reading a post on here I just rang BA to ask about upgrading our car group from a Chevrolet Tahoe to a Chevrolet Suburban (which we ended up getting upgraded to at the airport last year). Amazingly we now have the upgrade with a £230 refund!
Wow that is fantastic! More Florida spends right there! 😄
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
Wow that is fantastic! More Florida spends right there! 😄
Definitely, even the lady on the phone said that’s more spending money for you
Old 24 Jul 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Three weeks today we will be about to take off!

That is of course unless the BA strike hits us, current information seems to suggest it could affect our day.

I also still can’t make a final decision on ADRs! I am doubting my first day plan of Chef Mickey brunch, so may swap that to another day, and I am considering booking La Hacienda for the evening. We have been twice before and really like it, but last time we went in 2015 both kids fell asleep before Illuminations! I also still haven’t managed to get a better time for Storybook Dining which leaves everything uncertain. If we did La Hacienda I would cancel Rainforest Cafe