Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jan 19, 01:39 AM  
Link to this Post
beautybutterfly
Imagineer

beautybutterfly's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Saving Tips - 2020 trip

Not been on here in agesss because I get depressed when I come on without having a Florida holiday booked but... I've had the bright idea of a solo trip at some point next year... this year is out of the question because my step-brother is getting married in Cyprus but I'm hoping that 2020 is doable because it's the year I turn 30!

Anyone got any saving tips for your Florida hols? I'm doing a few bits and bobs such as Quidco and an academic survey site called Prolific Academic but I'd love to know what you've all done to help save some extra dosh?
Westridge North May 2014 | DLP The Kyriad March 2015 | Southern Dunes May 2015 | New York and Toronto October 2015 | Highlands Reserve DIBB villa May 2016 | LA & Vegas October 2016 | New York December 2016 | The Keys & Orlando Lake Berkley Dibb Villa April 2017 | Las Vegas MGM Grand May 2018 | Wyndham Resort iDrive April 2022 | Rosen Inn LBV Aug 2022
beautybutterfly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 19, 02:09 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkstargirl
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I saw a new take on saving earlier. Instead of saving £1 in the first week, £2 the second week etc, which would equal £1300 odd in a year but gets prohibitive towards the end of the year, try saving £1 on Monday, £2 on Tuesday etc until £7 on Sunday, then go back to £1 on Monday. Over a year this will add up to nearly £1500.

Is there anything non essential you could do without? Eg buying a coffee or lunch every day? Could make your own and save the outlay.
Good luck!
pinkstargirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I put £1 in a jar every day for exactly 12 months. It's exciting when I empty the jar at the end of the 12 months and count how much is in it (it's always more than I expect).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I put £1 in a jar every day for exactly 12 months. It's exciting when I empty the jar at the end of the 12 months and count how much is in it (it's always more than I expect).
More than £365?
Old 2 Jan 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

As well as normal savings, I have a savings pot set up in my monzo card. Whenever I spend any money it rounds up the transaction and puts it into my savings pot. Whilst it’s pennies it’s surprising how quick it adds up
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

The best money tip that I EVER picked up off The Dibb is matched betting. The easiest way to make around £5k per year (or more) tax free. 😀
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Not exactly a savings tip but have you checked if you are owed any PPI back. I was convinced that I wouldn't have any but now have two different claims pending after investigation . Not had any refunds yet, but I know lots of people on here have.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 19, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
The best money tip that I EVER picked up off The Dibb is matched betting. The easiest way to make around £5k per year (or more) tax free. 😀
I would agree with this - we only started in April or May last year and have made over £2500 already...
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Bluefish
Getting Excited

I really would like to try the matched betting and I keep reading the thread on the chat pages but it just seems a mental block for me to understand.

Not sure if it’s more around being scared to mess it up and loose money or just not getting my head around it working that is stopping me for understanding. I have gone as far as setting up a separate starling account but then I seem to bottle it.
Bluefish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bluefish View Post
I really would like to try the matched betting and I keep reading the thread on the chat pages but it just seems a mental block for me to understand.

Not sure if it’s more around being scared to mess it up and loose money or just not getting my head around it working that is stopping me for understanding. I have gone as far as setting up a separate starling account but then I seem to bottle it.
I understand what you mean and felt the same at the start, but now the standard bets are second nature. It's a bit like learning to drive - so many things to think about at first, but suddenly it clicks in to place. The best thing you can do is sign up to a matched betting service like Profit Accumulator or Odds Monkey and follow the starter offers step by step. I'm with PA and they have video, as well as written tutorials for the starter offers which I found really helpful. At first I spent lots of time watching, pausing, looking at the bookies, odds matcher, rewinding, watching etc again. It takes a bit of time at the start, and you do need to put some of your own money in to get started, but as long as you follow the guides and use the tools provided, then you'll be okay. We're also happy to help out newbies on the matched betting thread

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List