Old 4 Jun 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Solo from Southampton - day 4 Flam

My plan this morning had been an alarm at 9 in a bit of an attempt to sleep in (bearing in mind 8 at home) but I wake up with the boat docking and the bing bongs saying we have arrived at 7.30. I get up and shower, and then head for a nosy on deck. Wow. Flam is absolutely stunning.

I try to post yesterday’s trippie but I have no 4g or WiFi and I quickly realise this will have to wait.

I head for brekkie in the Oriental again, I get a lovely bunch again, I order less items again of the full English and juice.

My Flam railway reservation is not until 1.35pm, and it’s before 10, but I decide to get off and go for a wander and a souvenir recce.

Flam is stunning but tiny and only really has a few souvenir shops but I have a good mooch around and spot the bottle opener I didn’t get yesterday. I also go and have a look in the free railway museum which was interesting and a co-op in case they have any Norwegian beers or wine to take home, but all alcohol is imported.

My tummy is feeling a bit unsettled with the rich food I’ve been scoffing, and I’m tired, so I head back to my cabin for a drink of water and a read of my book for an hour, this did the trick, I’m not hungry at all even though it’s gone 12, but I jump in the lift up to the grab and go and pick up a cheese and pickle sandwich in case I get hungry on the train. On my way past to the stairs I spot the poolside pizzeria so pick up just one small piece of meat pizza as it looked tasty, it was hot and fresh and really nice.

I then walk down the stairs again to deck 4, and I’m off the ship.

I notice a massive queue already for the railway, but didn’t realise I had to exchange my piece of paper for a ticket, so I ended up at the back of the queue, but I got a good seat anyway. I had read right hand side, facing forward and window.

There are lots of empty seats, despite everything saying sold out, but obviously everyone wanted the window.

We have to wait a bit in the middle for another train to pass, then we are off again.

We have a stop at one of the most beautiful waterfalls I’ve ever seen. Wow, I get a bit damp though trying to get the perfect shot. This crazy music starts and a dancer appears in the spray, she keeps vanishing and popping up again and we don’t know how she is doing it so quickly until we realise it is in fact 2 dancers. Clever.

This has been well worth it, I’m on the train best part of 2 hours, and the views are just incredible. It wasn’t cheap at £53, but the ship were charging £98 (how do they get away with that?!) and was worth every penny.

I go to buy the bottle opener, and the cheapest pen I can find as my cabin doesn’t have one, and I think I might fancy breakfast in my cabin in the morning possibly. Both of these come to 118 nok, about £11 I believe.

There is a super cool brewery pub that looks like a Viking house type thing, any other country I would have headed in for a couple, but the prices of things here are scary, and I have drinks included on the boat, so I pass this time. I regret it later as apparently you could buy cans of the beer they had brewed for £4 each, this would have been a much better gift for DH.

Back on the ship I give the man in question a quick ring and tell him about Flam, then head up to planet bar, it’s over an hour before sail away but I still get one of the last window seats, phew..

I read a bit, make some notes and have a Prosecco or two. Even without us moving the views are out of this world.

My breakfast companions this morning were raving about the rock and roll thing last night, turns out I got completely the wrong end of the stick, as it was like a live band scenario. I probably would have enjoyed this. Apparently the same band are doing another show tomorrow so I’ll have to give that a try.

I therefore decide to be open minded about the entertainment tonight. It looks a bit We Will Rock you vs West Side Story. I decide to try sit near the back, as then I can leave if I’m not keen and go see the Annie Lennox tribute. The sea screen movie is A Star is Born tonight which I haven’t seen, but to be honest it was a bit quiet last night and the weather looks a bit showery.

We eventually start turning round, then heading out to sea, it’s like watching a cinema from here, it’s stunning.

I stay for a while chatting to others who have adopted my table, then head down to my cabin. I’m starving as I haven’t eaten much today, so I just change my top again and head straight to peninsular restaurant. On my way I make a reservation for myself for dinner in the Indian restaurant Sindhu on the last sea day.

I’m lucky, then can get me a table to myself straight away so I order immediately.

I order the seared Asian tuna, this was amazing and I would have loved it again. Really tasty.

Then the smoked sausage bacon and white bean soup which again was very pleasant. I think they do their soups well and they are always piping hot.

Finally the chicken with pesto gnocchi. This was tasty too.

I then order the raspberry sorbet, and the cheese.

Well the waiter tonight was a feeder, he gave me 2 bread rolls, and then 3 scoops of sorbet instead of the 1 it’s supposed to be. When the cheese came he was wacking great big wedges off. Finally as I thought I might die of over eating he brought me 2 of the dark choc mints.

I grab a drink and head to the theatre for the main performance. Well this is what I thought yesterday would be, singing and dancing about with little purpose or story. I give it 20 mins then pass the Manhattan bar where there is an Annie Lennox tribute. She has a good voice, but isn’t really my era. She takes it very seriously, but actually I know all the songs so I stay til the end. I decide against the sea screen, even though the weather looks lovely again it’s late and I want a really busy port day tomorrow.

I head up to Planet bar instead. It’s rammed, but I eventually find a table, and I watch us leaving the Fjord, it’s so beautiful.

I make a breakfast order and then head to bed

Edited at 09:46 AM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

When we did the Flam railway in 2014, like you we stopped at the waterfall and took photos of the dancer(s). It was only later, when I enlarged the photos, that I discovered that she was a he!
Thanks for the reports, we head back to the fjords on the Ventura on the 16th.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Flam is stunning, glad you liked it. You are very brave going on your own, I admire you! Norway is so expensive we often feel its a shame we dont get to sample or buy as much as we would like to locally as its eye watering prices! Sounds like a really good day all round Mitch x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Edited with photos xx
Old 5 Jun 19, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
When we did the Flam railway in 2014, like you we stopped at the waterfall and took photos of the dancer(s). It was only later, when I enlarged the photos, that I discovered that she was a he!
Thanks for the reports, we head back to the fjords on the Ventura on the 16th.

Ooh i’m not sure. They looked female, but I only snapped a pic on my phone so i’ll never know. There were defo 2 though
Old 5 Jun 19, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Like you we booked our tickets independently, the station is only a 5 minute walk from the dock, its the ultimate rip off by the cruise companies for the fee they charge.

Edited at 01:11 PM.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Beautiful photos! Looks so clean and fresh. I love Norwegian air!
Your food looks fantastic today too.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Railway looks brill
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Did anyone else think of the monty python
“Just one more wafer thin mint”
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List