Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 16 Jun 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Day 2 - The Day I Got My Cards Stolen And Revealed The Surprise - 21st May 2019

Welcome to our trip report! I'll start off by introducing the family and a little about the name of the report in case you haven't read the pre-trippie.

We are a family of five and we returned from Orlando in November 2018. In September 2018 Virgin had a MASSIVE sale and I found a bargain for just over £300pp for direct flights, accommodation at Rosen Inn International and transfers for 9 nights! It was too good a deal to pass up so I booked it. I intended to tell everyone at Christmas but needed to tell Mr Grump earlier. We told the kids on Christmas morning and they were over the moon.

Find the Index HERE

Previous day is HERE

So this trip consisted of:

Myself (Kelly) - Chief planner and organiser ... none of the trip would have happened without me

Husband (Chris) - The laid back photographer one ... I guess it wouldn't have happened without him paying for it so I have to give him some recognition there

Caitlin (12) - total drama llama and pre teen one.

Thomas (10) - the cheeky brain box one.

Noah (6) - the cute one. Noah is autistic and struggles with change so holidays are quite often a challenge for him

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 2 - The Day I Got My Cards Stolen And Revealed The Surprise - 21st May 2019

As usual I was first up again at 5.50am. I made sure everything was packed in the bags and got myself sorted. Everyone else was up by 6.15am ... not bad for only our second day

The kid's had cereal in the room again. I got everyone sorted and we were at WalMart on Turkey Lake Road for 7.03am. Mr Grump, Caitlin and Thomas went to look for some water shoes for Mr G and Noah came with me to collect a parcel that we'd had delivered with a new backpack in for Noah and a few other bits and bobs. The staff member informed me we couldn't collect until after 8am which was a bit of a pain, but it just meant we needed another trip to WalMart Mr G got his shoes and we were on our way to Discovery Cove by 7.14am.

We arrived at Discovery Cove for 7.21am and the queue was already out the door. We joined the queue and were checked in around 7.45am, I asked about upgrading to a cabana hoping they'd be cheaper on the day but at $400 I decided against it

We were given a swim time of 9.30am which I was over the moon with as it meant we weren't waiting around much. We headed straight for breakfast.

Discovery Cove

Breakfast is kind of like a buffet. Everything is plated onto plates but you can take as many or as little as you like. There were sausages, bacon, eggs, breakfast potatoes, mini french toasts, muffins, pastries, fruit, yoghurt and cereals. You could help yourself to everything plus drinks.

For those that don't know Discovery Cove is all inclusive, so all food and drinks are included throughout the day. You can upgrade to a premium package for drinks $30 but as Mr Grump and I aren't huge drinkers we didn't bother.

Breakfast was nice and we filled ourselves up then went to find some sun loungers. We first sat on some near the Dolphin swim pool then changed to one nearer Serenity Bay. We then headed round to get our wetsuits and cream up with the Dolphin friendly suncream.

Back at the loungers Chris and the kids went into the pool whilst I had a little chill and waited for our Dolphin swim. Everyone returned at 9.15am and we headed to the meeting point. We listened to the talk then headed over to the Dolphin pool.

Thomas and Noah can't swim and had life vests on which they were advised to take off. Noah hates being in the water without one and literally clung to my neck the whole time

We met our Dolphin who was called Capricorn. He is the biggest Dolphin there and Noah was in awe of the fact he was daddy to 16 of the babies there We all had a stroke and asked questions about the Dolphins. Capricorn showed off a little in the middle of the pool for us and waved at us with his fin.

Next up was the Dolphin swim. Noah was really looking forward to this but he was panicking not having a life jacket on. I explained the staff member who said the other member would get hold of him as soon as he got to the other side which convinced him to do the swim.

We all absolutely loved this, it was such an amazing experience to do and Noah is still telling everyone about it now.

We had a bit more of a chat about the Dolphins then Capricorn went off to play with his son and did some tricks in the middle of the pool for all to see which was lovely. Next we were all invited to give Capricorn a kiss and get a photo with him.

Noah had himself a bit of a wobble and was umming and ahhing about giving Capricorn a kiss. I explained he didn't have to if he didn't want to ... in the end he didn't Notice the staff member behind trying to keep out of the shot

Then we all got a family photo

We absolutely loved this experience and would recommend to do it if it's within budget. We managed to get the tickets in the Blue Friday sale so paid less than the non swim price for the dolphin swim! Absolute bargain.

After this we left the pool and Chris and the kid's went back to the serenity pool I think.

I got my book out and started reading. I went to the snack kiosk and got myself a pack of lays, a pretzel and a cheeky glass of white wine. Sadly the wine ended up in the bin as I really didn't like it.

Chris and the kid's came back so we all went over to see the Marmosets and Otters. We ended up in the Aviary and fed some of the birds before going into the wind away river. Well this was a huge mistake ... we must have looked like something off shameless the way this unfolded

We got in the river and Mr G can't swim well so I gave him a noddle. I seen a sign that said the water was 8ft deep ... going right under a mini waterfall. Thomas and Caitlin were fine to go themselves but Noah was clinging on to me. I told Mr G I wouldn't be able to shield Noah from the water and swim with him pulling me down so could he do it with the noodle.

Well ...

I went under with Caitlin and Thomas ... Chris come through with Noah floating ahead of him and shouting for someone to grab him! I'm not the best swimmer myself but I can float and swim which Mr G can't I swam over and grabbed Noah and managed to attach him to Mr G again. I shook my head and they followed us out the other side.

We went a bit further round the river then came to another 8ft depth area and a waterfall. Mr G was complaining he was stuck ... stuck in a river ... he couldn't move after they'd come under the waterfall In ended up have to go over grab Mr G's wetsuit and drag him and Noah over to the shallow area ... only this time there wasn't one! It was 8ft all the way round. I managed to pull them both to an area where we could get out (near the marmosets) but now Thomas was on floating round the other side and couldn't get back so I had to get in and bring him round to where we were swimming against the current.

Looking back now we laugh so much about how pathetic we must have looked, but at the time I was exhausted and ready to divorce Mr G

We cut through to the otters and left the river back to the safety of our beds! We sat and chilled for a bit, we had drinks and the boys played in the sand. We decided to go to the Grand Reef to do a bit of snorkelling. We got over there and Caitlin, Thomas and Mr G went off and Noah came with me. Noah didn't like the fish at all and I brought him out as he was freaking out. We sat on some sun loungers talking then went to get some drinks, he had some lays and a rice kirspie treat from snack bar then Caitlin and Thomas joined us. We chatted for around 20 minutes then Chris joined us. He told me to go do some snorkelling and he'd see to the kids so off I went for about 10 minutes. It was a good experience but it freaked me out a little when the fish touched me

Lunch was again included. There were lots of things to choose from, from burgers to salads with a choice of desserts too. I had a burger with fries and salad, Mr G and I also shared some of the Mac N Cheese, Caitlin had a pulled pork burger, Noah and Thomas each had a hot dog.

The food was nice enough and it wasn't too busy when we went for lunch either. We saved so much money this day with everything being included it was great!

Next Mr G, Caitlin, Thomas and Noah went back in the pools whilst I relaxed and chilled on the loungers. Whilst waiting I received a notification from Disney to say our room wasn't quite ready yet ... I got so excited

I could feel my skin prickling so I went to put more suncream on and decided to get changed as I was done with the pools for the day now. Thomas had come back just as I was leaving and he said he wanted to get changed too so we headed off to the changing rooms. We met each other once we'd changed then applied suncream. We went back to the loungers and waited for the others to return. Chris, Noah and Caitlin went to get changed and when they were there I got a message from Disney stating our rooms was ready

I'd requested Martinique, ground floor and corner room, we got Martinique and ground floor but no corner room.

I was conscious of time getting on and was rushing the others to get sorted. Today was another hot day so Thomas and I got a drink and sat at the lunch tables for some shade. It hit 33 whilst we were waiting for them

We left at 3.44pm and headed to The Mall at Millenia to get Noah some ear defenders from Dicks Sporting Goods. Traffic heading here was awful and so busy! We got there half an hour later and got Noah's ear defenders which were 25% off too

Seeing as we were here already we quickly popped along to Carlos Bakery as this was one of the things we wanted to try.

Now I apologise as Thomas tipped the bag up so the cakes got a little squished

Vanilla Buttercream Cupcake - Vanilla cupcakes iced with an all natural meringue-based buttercream frosting containing real vanilla bean and topped with sprinkles.

Chocolate and Hazelnut Lobster Tail - Filled with a delicious chocolate hazelnut cream and sprinkled with powdered sugar.

M&M Cookie - A soft cookie made with chocolate covered candies.

Total for these was around $15 (paid cash and don't have the receipt)

Chris and Caitlin shared the cupcake and said it was ok but nothing special. I had the lobster tail and again I wouldn't say it was amazing. I'm glad we tried it but don't think we'd be back. Thomas and Noah enjoyed their cookie.

We were back on the road by 4.45pm and headed to WalMart to pick up the parcel as we needed the backpack for Disney tomorrow. We collected the parcel and Mr G grabbed a few bits and bobs ... I honestly can't remember what he got. We unloaded the car and headed back to Rosen Inn where we arrived at 6pm. Walking to the room I had the sudden realisation I didn't have my pouch with the passports (for ID at Discovery Cove) bank cards and revolut and around $30 cash with me! It suddenly dawned on me that I left it in the trolley at WalMart. I told Chris and the kids to stay in the room as there was no point dragging everyone else out and I rushed back to WalMart. I was back at Walmart by 6.07pm and parked where we did before but the trolley we left was no where to be seen

I went in store and ended up in a queue that took 20 minutes at customer service I explained the lady what I'd lost and she said it had been handed in and she would go get it. Such a relief I almost cried in the queue! As I was leaving I thought I'd check it. I knew the passports were there as I could feel them, but when I opened it, it dawned on me the cash and all the cards were gone. I went back and spoke to the lady and she said I would need to phone the Sheriff and wait for them to come look at the CCTV. I logged straight onto my Lloyds and Revolut app and cancelled my 3 cards immediately. I phoned Chris almost in tears and asked what I should do. In the end I decided it wasn't worth wasting our holiday over $30 and a driving licence. So I headed back to Rosen Inn deflated and emotionally exhausted. As I got in the car I sat and had a cry to myself completely overhwelmed with it all and frustrated that my Disney reveal was tainted and we were so behind with the reveal too

I got back at 6.50pm and did the reveal. I did video it but unsure how to upload videos on here.

For those who didn't read the pre trippie I planned a surprise trip to Disney after some amazing offers on tickets and CBR overnight stay.

Noah didn't cope too well with the surprise. At first he was excited then the anxiety took over and he said he didn't want to go, we weren't supposed to be going to Disney on this trip. He said his tummy hurt and he felt sick. Poor little man. I managed to talk to him and explain what was going to happen and he settled for a little bit. We packed the case in a rush and headed to Caribbean Beach Resort at 7.45pm after a wrong turn onto the I4 we were on our way and arrived at 8.10pm.

I went and checked us in whilst Chris got the kids and luggage out. I had planned for dinner to be at Disney Springs at Blaze and Cookes of Dublin, but due to getting my purse stolen we ended up being really late and it was 8.20pm by the time we'd got checked in at CBR so we decided to just head to the food court. We got a large nugget meal with fries, pasta chicken alfredo with a breadstick and 1 drink. The CM gave us 2 cups though which was lovely of her. We then took this to our room.

Whilst unpacking I realised I'd left my shorts back at the hotel so I had to rush back to get them and everyone ate the food so no photos! I was eventually back at CBR for 10.10pm.

I ate some of the food everyone else left as I was starving just as we got into bed I got a text from Lloyds bank stating my car had been declined in McDonalds for £8.80 ... so I assume who ever stole them had obviously decided to try and give the card a try ... literally a minute later I got a message from Revolut saying the same for $11.18 but it was declined as I'd frozen and cancelled the cards thankfully. Earlier I had also transferred all my money from Revolut to Chris's card. We were both so exhausted and were asleep before 11. What a day ... it started out so well and what happened really did put a dampener on things but tomorrow we were going to Disney! :mickey_bou

caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Kelly - so sorry to hear about your cards. I was feeling your panic as I read your report! You coped so brilliantly though... So glad the passports were handed in but awful about the cards... Glad you cancelled them so quickly. Sounds like a fantastic day at Discovery Cove and wow to the Disney reveal! My DS would have been exactly the same as Noah though - so excited but nervous! Can't wait to hear how the Disney day goes
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

What a mixed bag of emotions for you! Glad it all worked out as well as it could in the circumstances, good for you not letting it get you down - I would have been dreadful 😳👌
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Mobile

Really useful post for people to see how to deal with and plan what to do if something like this happens with your cards...

Enjoying the trippie too!
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
Kelly - so sorry to hear about your cards. I was feeling your panic as I read your report! You coped so brilliantly though... So glad the passports were handed in but awful about the cards... Glad you cancelled them so quickly. Sounds like a fantastic day at Discovery Cove and wow to the Disney reveal! My DS would have been exactly the same as Noah though - so excited but nervous! Can't wait to hear how the Disney day goes
Thank you. It was my own fault for leaving them but at least our passports were left.

Discovery Cove was amazing apart from the kerfuffle in the river 😂

I did think about that before we went but I honestly thought he'd be OK. Once he'd calmed down and I explained he could do Tower of Terror again he soon perked up 😂 x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
What a mixed bag of emotions for you! Glad it all worked out as well as it could in the circumstances, good for you not letting it get you down - I would have been dreadful 😳👌
It was but as we say now it could have been so much worse with no passports 😳 I was at the time I honestly thought I was going to be sick I was that chewed up 😭 the worst part was I couldn't even tell my friends as they were in bed 😣 x
Old 16 Jun 19, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
Really useful post for people to see how to deal with and plan what to do if something like this happens with your cards...

Enjoying the trippie too!
And also to see what not to do 😂 take note folks DON'T leave your purse in a trolley in Walmart 🛒😂 thank you glad your enjoying it, thanks for reading xx
Old 16 Jun 19, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

DC looks amazing. I love your all your photos!
So sorry to read about the missing cards & cash. Thank goodness you cancelled the cards immediately.
Have a lovely time in Disney World!.
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Rob & Jan
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Well that was a day of highs and lows I could feel the tension. Lovely photos of DC, I wasn't a fan of the rapid river I'm afraid I had a paddy going under the waterfall.
Rob & Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
What a day! I'm so glad your passports were not stolen too, at least you didn't have to sort them out. I'm not surprised you had a bit of a cry in the car and then forgot your shorts in the panic packing. Such a shame this put a downer on all the fun at discovery cove and then the reveal. But as you said it was only $30 so could have been a lot worse. Very quick thinking of you to cancel the cards immediately.

It sounds like you were a regular life saver in the lazy river. I'd forgotten it gets quite deep. My dad is not a great swimmer, he can just about manage 10 metres but he doesn't like to swim out of his depth and he absolutely cannot float. He will only swim if he's out of his depth if he has the side of the pool within reach so this has been worrying me for our discovery cove day how did Mr G cope with the dolphin swim? Is it possible to do it if you can't swim. I'm sure it is, but as we are all swimmers I don't recall from our last trip. Like you I booked the tickets on blue Friday and got such a good deal I decided my dad may as well do it and if he passes on the swim part it doesn't matter as it is only a small part of the whole experience. Anyway, can you reassure me? Will he be alright?

The room at CBR looks so lovely, we've booked it up for next summer I'm so excited to be going back I loved that resort. I can't wait to find out if you liked it, I really hope so.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List