Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Jun 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
kev007
Imagineer

kev007's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Looking at a week's trip in September - advice please!

Hi guys

WE had a great ten day holiday at the end of May and start of June this year; just did Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure plus Volcano Bay as we did Disney last September. We stayed on I Drive and also did mini golf, shopping, relaxing and generally having a great time

We've booked up to do Disney again next October; we have some time off in September and although we were originally thinking about going somewhere in Europe, now our thoughts have turned to - you guess it, a week in Orlando!

We've never done a week before - usually a fortnight although we enjoyed the ten day holiday a lot.

If we did do a week, it would need to be on a pretty tight budget and we have seen a possibility, leaving September 11 for 7 nights on I Drive @ The Rosen nearest Universal (stayed there several time and have had no real issues), flying from Gatwick on Norwegian coming in at just under £1k for the two of us.

We would like to do a day each at the two parks plus Volcano Bay.

We would really aprreciate some advice on whether this is a good proce, tips for reducing costs and so on

We have thought about getting a Lynx bus from the airport to I Drive as this seems to be very inexpensive? Is this feasible? We are looking at just taking hand luggage this time and buying some t-shirts, shorts etc when we are there and then paying to bring one item of hold luggage back with us.

We signed up for some vouchers for the recent trip so am still getting these; we usually eat at places like Applebees, Cicis Pizza, Sweet Tomatoes etc and take cereal for breakfast so don't spend too much on meals when we are there!

Is it possible to buy a three day ticket for the parks?

We would probably look at staying at Gatwick the night before, any recommendations on somewhere reasonably inexpensive?

We've never flown on Norwegian, any thoughts? We believe you have to pay extra for meals, IFE etc so would take out own food, tablets etc.

Sorry for the length of this post, look forward to getting some advice and suggestions!

Thank you

Kev

kev007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

We did a week before after much deliberation and it was great. We felt we still got plenty done and relaxed.

You can get a 2 day ticket from walt disney would direct or a 3 day ticket from undercover tourist (will be in dollars).

TUI have some good prices at the moment don't know whether they do in september. It is into Sanford though.
Old 29 Jun 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
kev007
Imagineer

kev007's Reviews
Originally Posted by waiting4disney View Post
We did a week before after much deliberation and it was great. We felt we still got plenty done and relaxed.

You can get a 2 day ticket from walt disney would direct or a 3 day ticket from undercover tourist (will be in dollars).

TUI have some good prices at the moment don't know whether they do in september. It is into Sanford though.
Thank you, we are just looking to do Universal this time. Never flown into Sanford, would prefer MCO if possible.

Kev

kev007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Bet you wish you upgraded your tickets now. I read earlier (thanks Lisa) that Universal are doing an offer of buy 2 days and get 3 free. Found a link for you...

undercovertourist/or...-promo-ticket/

We've done a week before but only did one day at a park. We drove to Miami for a concert and did some shopping/relaxing etc. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again if the price was right.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Regarding the lynx, we did this in 2016 and found it too much hassle. We waited for ages for the bus to leave MCO and felt out of place with our cases on it (although I note you wouldn’t have any). Luckily the stop was right outside our hotel so that made it a little better.

We only did it as I’d read you couldn’t get Ubers from MCO and I hadn’t yet discovered the dibb where no doubt I’d have received information about how to do that! In answer to your question, I would advise against it personally - too much hassle for not much saving.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
kev007
Imagineer

kev007's Reviews
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Keep them coming 😁
Old 30 Jun 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
kev007
Imagineer

kev007's Reviews
Just bumping this.

Thanks!

Kev
Old 1 Jul 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Me & Hubbie did a week in the February half term, few years ago when the kids went skiing with the school, it was our first holiday on our own
I thought it was just the right amount of time, we only did MK & HS, an airboat ride & shopping, more chilled this way, everyone says it’s a long way to go for 7 nights, but when you go to New York you go for 4 or 5 nights, with lots to fit it.
If you’re happy with the price then do it, we stayed at Rosen Inn International, although the price for 2 weeks isn’t that much more , but we obviously had to fit in with the half term
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
kev007
Imagineer

kev007's Reviews
Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Me & Hubbie did a week in the February half term, few years ago when the kids went skiing with the school, it was our first holiday on our own
I thought it was just the right amount of time, we only did MK & HS, an airboat ride & shopping, more chilled this way, everyone says it’s a long way to go for 7 nights, but when you go to New York you go for 4 or 5 nights, with lots to fit it.
If you’re happy with the price then do it, we stayed at Rosen Inn International, although the price for 2 weeks isn’t that much more , but we obviously had to fit in with the half term
Thank you!

Kev

Old 3 Jul 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
danatt
I want to go now!

We're doing 10 days this September and I'd say your price sounds pretty good!

Last year we bought 2 day with 3 free days Universal and IOA base tickets from Undercover tourist. The base tickets were cheaper than the hopper and as we'd done the Hogwarts Express before we didnt mind, but they also didnt include Volcano Bay (we're not water park fans so was fine for us).

Would it not be cheaper to pay for luggage both ways and take clothes you already have? Unless you're planning on buying new clothes anyways!

You can often get codes for Lyft/Uber for money off so that could be an option if the Lynx bus doesnt work out.
danatt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List