Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Jul 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

Virgin shifting me out of my seat.

I know I am probably panicking a bit, but...

I am flying PE Virgin (solo holiday) in November. And (in my opinion), I have a pretty good seat outbound and inbound. 19D.

However, on the outbound flight, there are only 2 seats now available left in PE on the lower deck (upper deck/bubble is full). And the 2 seats that are left available are single seats, in the middle, on opposite ends of the cabin (one of those seats is next to me).

Now my worry is that a party of 2 will come along and "want to sit together", so Virgin will shift me out of my good seat so 2 people can sit together. And I'll be left with a horrible seat that I dont want.

Has this happened to anyone before? Is it something Virgin would actually do?

in my opinion, I booked my holiday 300 days in advance so it should be first come first serve. I would be pretty annoyed to find I've been shoved out the way for a party of 2.

Any advice would be great, thank you

x
Old 2 Jul 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
sparkyweb
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

If you've booked it you should be ok. I can't remember if you have to pay to book seats with VS but that will help your case if you did get moved. Do you have any status with VS?
sparkyweb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
My Son used to face this quite often. We used to have 19A and C but as he was on a separate booking he was vulnerable.

He never did get moved but on one occasion a couple were in seats 3 rows apart in exactly the situation you describe. The Guy sat next to my Son and asked him would he move but my Son explained and pointed out that he was with us.

Cue a right strop by the bloke in question and he went and asked the cabin crew. They asked my Son was he prepared to move but he again explained he was with us so they let it go.

Keep an eye on it and maybe do twilight check in so you get your boarding pass albeit they can change your seat right up to the point you sit down.

Should my Son have moved? I don't believe so in those circumstances but I know he would have if it was a Parent and a young child split up.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
My Son used to face this quite often. We used to have 19A and C but as he was on a separate booking he was vulnerable.

He never did get moved but on one occasion a couple were in seats 3 rows apart in exactly the situation you describe. The Guy sat next to my Son and asked him would he move but my Son explained and pointed out that he was with us.

Cue a right strop by the bloke in question and he went and asked the cabin crew. They asked my Son was he prepared to move but he again explained he was with us so they let it go.

Keep an eye on it and maybe do twilight check in so you get your boarding pass albeit they can change your seat right up to the point you sit down.

Should my Son have moved? I don't believe so in those circumstances but I know he would have if it was a Parent and a young child split up.

Thank you. Very useful to hear. Thats my worry, stroppy passengers. I dont want someone to get the huff with me and make my flight uncomfortable and awkward. I'm on my own and just want to chill and sit in the seat I have reserved way way in advance!

I most certainly won't be moving for anyone. I have a medical condition that is alleviated by laying back - hence why I have booked 19D, so I can recline for the whole flight without bothering anyone. I'm trying to be considerate to others is what I'm trying to say. Plus I need to isle seat so I can jump up at any time and grab my medication that will be locked away in my carry on above in the little hold thing.

I will be going out of my way to do twilight check in for sure. I will also be going out of my way to check my bags in at Disney Springs the morning of my inbound flight - rather than waiting on getting to MCO and facing issues. I just want it done and dusted.

Some may see my situation as petty, but it's not.

x
Old 2 Jul 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

i travel solo and would always worry about this but unless it is a parent and young child that should be sat according to the guidelines i would hope that no airline would move you.
As you can select seats when booking people can see what is left and this would put a lot of people off anyway

Though saying that if they compensated me well - eg. upgrade to upper class (both legs) or similar then maybe
Old 2 Jul 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sparkyweb
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

I would say that if the CC ask if you could move once you explain the situation then they will understand.
If a passenger comes to you and asks you can refuse and if they get insistant stand your ground and call CC over. Its down to them to assist.
sparkyweb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

You can do online check in the night before both ways. You don’t have to do Disney Springs bag drop for that. (You can if you want to, but for us - onsite with no car - it was a waste of time and money). If you do online check in tge night before, your seat should be confirmed then.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by geniefan View Post
Thank you. Very useful to hear. Thats my worry, stroppy passengers. I dont want someone to get the huff with me and make my flight uncomfortable and awkward. I'm on my own and just want to chill and sit in the seat I have reserved way way in advance!

I most certainly won't be moving for anyone. I have a medical condition that is alleviated by laying back - hence why I have booked 19D, so I can recline for the whole flight without bothering anyone. I'm trying to be considerate to others is what I'm trying to say. Plus I need to isle seat so I can jump up at any time and grab my medication that will be locked away in my carry on above in the little hold thing.

I will be going out of my way to do twilight check in for sure. I will also be going out of my way to check my bags in at Disney Springs the morning of my inbound flight - rather than waiting on getting to MCO and facing issues. I just want it done and dusted.

x
Is it an option to contact Virgin and explain that you have selected the seat for medical reasons and have them add this to your booking?

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by geniefan View Post

x
If you have a medical condition then it might be worth a phone call to the assistance team explaining that. At worse all you'll get is a note on your reservation saying so but it may assist you in case of moves
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I have done 3 solo flights to the states with virgin and been moved twice (booked seats all 3 times) but once I was moved to business class so I was happy with that. The other time it was a couple and the stewardess explained the lady was terrified of flying so could she sit with her partner. I moved and every time I looked she was gripping him or crying because of turbulence so I’m glad I did move.
Mrs-Weasley is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List