Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Feb 19, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile For anyone wondering about Ryan Air hand luggage...

I saw a thread on here about hand luggage with the new rules (I have looked but can’t find it)
I am just back from a trip to Warsaw. We were a party of 8, I booked for 5 of us and the other 3 booked themselves.
We all booked before the new rules came out and I upgraded my booking to priority for £6 each way for us all but ended up getting this refunded. We took a 10kg wheely case and a hand bag.
The other 3 didn’t bother upgrading, 2 of them checked a 10kg case on the hold (for free) they didn’t check liquids so this would be a good option if you want to take over 100mls and not bothered about priority boarding.
The other person didn’t check any case but had a normal sized back pack as hand luggage and wasn’t questioned or charged extra at the gate when boarding.
From what I can tell it is cheaper to book everything at the time of booking and the prices can vary.
I don’t know if they have changed the hand luggage dimensions.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
You can't check a 10kg bag for free any more though, it was £12 each way for my flight to Budapest, we too booked well before the new rules, but they set a date of 31st August and before for the free upgrade, we booked early September.

Out of principle we made do with the extra small bag, but boy is it small. I didn't have a bag small enough, but used a small rucksack and made sure it wasn't full so it could fit in the sizer. It was ok we weren't measured, but our pockets were stuffed.

I don't think we'll book another Ryanair flight in a hurry, would rather they just be honest about their prices upfront
Old 20 Feb 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I'm flying with them to lanzarote and they were cheaper than easyjet even after adding in seats and bags
Old 20 Feb 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
You can't check a 10kg bag for free any more though, it was £12 each way for my flight to Budapest, we too booked well before the new rules, but they set a date of 31st August and before for the free upgrade, we booked early September.

Out of principle we made do with the extra small bag, but boy is it small. I didn't have a bag small enough, but used a small rucksack and made sure it wasn't full so it could fit in the sizer. It was ok we weren't measured, but our pockets were stuffed.

I don't think we'll book another Ryanair flight in a hurry, would rather they just be honest about their prices upfront
I know you can’t book a 10kg case for free anymore, we only got it free this time as we booked April last year and upgraded as soon as the new rules were announced.
It might be worth thinking about paying the extra if people want to take toiletries over 100ml.
It looks like the prices for a hold case are different, priority are still the same. Adding everything at the time of booking is the cheapest way to do it.
We have talked about future bookings and for anything less than 5 days (which is usually all out Europe holidays) will just take a back pack. Oh always over packs so at least he wouldn’t be able to do that with one piece of hand luggage. You can also take a duty free bag as extra, so in theory you could buy a bag and put a few things in there as well.
The post was asking about taking a back pack on as hand luggage and I was saying that is fine.
I will still travel with them if they are the best option.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by roxie2001 View Post
I know you can’t book a 10kg case for free anymore, we only got it free this time as we booked April last year and upgraded as soon as the new rules were announced.
It might be worth thinking about paying the extra if people want to take toiletries over 100ml.
It looks like the prices for a hold case are different, priority are still the same. Adding everything at the time of booking is the cheapest way to do it.
We have talked about future bookings and for anything less than 5 days (which is usually all out Europe holidays) will just take a back pack. Oh always over packs so at least he wouldn’t be able to do that with one piece of hand luggage. You can also take a duty free bag as extra, so in theory you could buy a bag and put a few things in there as well.
The post was asking about taking a back pack on as hand luggage and I was saying that is fine.
I will still travel with them if they are the best option.
I totally know what you mean, but most backpacks are not 40x25x20cm, that is tiny, sort of big hand bag sized.

I was lucky in that I didn't get checked, although my bag was too big, although it was only one of these, a small backpack

surfdome/North-Face-...lour=TNF+Black

However it was 49 x 31 x 19cm, over in 2 dimensions. I made sure it wasn't full, so could squish, and as always hung back til right at the very end, and ensured it was in the hand opposite to the lady checking my boarding pass.

So most backpacks, unless very small aren't technically allowed, but you 'may' get away with it. They would have had every right to fine me £50 each way though, and plenty were caught at Manchester, many with backpacks too, albeit slightly bigger than mine
Old 20 Feb 19, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

And those that get stoped and have to pay moan like hell.
I usually moan when they don't get caught
Old 20 Feb 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
And those that get stoped and have to pay moan like hell.
I usually moan when they don't get caught
I would agree with you normally, but I booked a flight for a cheapy weekend that included 10kg of hand luggage, which then got removed from me. I found out 2 days before and had no time to purchase a 40x25x20cm bag, so I had to make do.

I literally had 1 pair PJ's, 3 x knick/socks, 2 spare t-shirts, my plastic bag of toiletries, hairbrush and my passport, purse and phone. I didn't even take a charger/adapter, I shared with my brother. I have never packed so light ever, and if I had of been stopped yes I would have moaned, because my bag was only half full..