Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Feb 19, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

Hair loss - wits end

I just can't for the life of me think what is causing my hair loss.

1. I don't use ANY heat - it dries naturally.
2. Bloods have been checked - no issues there.
3. No colour on hair.
4. Hardly ever use bands so it's not scrapped back tight.
5. Diet is excellent.
6. My sleep is fine.
7. I don't wrap it tight in a towel after washing - I am gentle with it when it is wet.

And it's not like I am losing it at the root - it is breaking off mid shaft and I just don't know why. It is really getting me down now. I used to have such beautiful thick hair. Now I look like Neil from the Young Ones

Someone told me it could be argan oil (or similar products). I did use to put this in my hair after washing but stopped about 2 or 3 months ago.

Any ideas? thank you x

Edited at 03:10 PM.
Bridget is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

I don’t like to hazard a guess on your age (in my defence I don’t have my glasses on) but since my mid thirties I’ve definitely noticed a increase in hair loss and thinning which I’ve been told is unfortunately just one of those things that can happen to women as we approach the menopause 😥😥😥😥😥
Old 20 Feb 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Agree with Tinkermom, I am towards late 30's and my hair has certainly thinned probably since hitting 30.
Old 20 Feb 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Some medications can affect hair and cause hair loss, could it be something like that?
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post

I am of an age where my parting is growing.

I'm not losing my hair though, it's growing out my chin instead 😞

But, I have found that both of the well known brands of caffeine shampoo are working for me. It's not making it regrow but it is stopping it disappearing at the same rate.

I had a period of time about a year or so ago where my hair was breaking off. I spoke to hairdresser. She asked me if I had been through a period of stress a year or so before. And I had, after my dad passed. She said my hair was maybe breaking at the point at which I was stressed and that the newer hair growing through would be stronger as I was stronger. It sounds logical so here's hoping!

She also said comb hair with a wide toothed comb in the shower and be gentle with it.

Edited at 04:24 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
talicarr
Helping Minnie

Stress can cause hair loss, but so can diet, are you following a new diet? I went on a Keto very low calorie diet a few years back and lost handfuls of hair every time I washed it. It stopped shedding shortly after coming off it.

Hope you get something sorted.
talicarr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

I was having hair loss and other symptoms and was prescribed iron tablets maybe it might be worth having your bloods checked?
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Hi Bridget - this happened to me at age 41 - about 9 months after a really stressful period in my life. I actually took a bag of hair to the dr to show that I wasn’t exaggerating! My bloods were generally ok, but I had lost a lot of weight in the previous 6 months and not had the best diet. I was told that what happens to your hair is s delayed reaction to things like stress, illness, poor diet etc so you may be doing everything right now but this may be caused by something from a while ago. What does your hairdresser say? Sometimes we can get paranoid about this, so it’s good to get a second opinion. Hair does go in cycles, so I think that I would try not to worry and just be gentle, reduce the frequency of washing if you can and maybe use a good conditioning product to prevent breakage.
sam_b is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Mrs PPM used to have hair to her waist until she was mid forties when she stated loosing it with it breaking off. She won’t to the hairdressers and doctors, and all they would say was it was possibly a combination of age, years of force drying and covering with various products.
She went from that to short hair just around the neck with a spiked top.
It was like I got a new wife. She’s now mid Sixties and hair is still thick and healthy, she won’t colour it and just lives with the silver streaks. She say it makes her look classy! ( Aye, that’ll be right my dear!)
But it looks like that severe cut years ago has helped the current condition of her hair.

Us men are so lucky, just a guard 2 all over and a quick towel dry. I don’t even own a comb?
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
In my early 40s I lost a lot of hair - caused by stress after an op and a difficult year. It did grow back after a few months but at one point I had no fringe! Have you been stressed at all?
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List