Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Jul 10, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post

I got fed up of wearing glasses and contact lenses. Last year I got mine lasered especially for our Florida hols. Bit extravagant I know but worth every penny! No hassle, no eye drops, no fiddly lenses...

It's the best decision I've ever made!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post

When I can afford laser eye surgery, I'll probably do it, but for now contacts is the best I can do lol!
Old 26 Jul 10, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
steandtrish
Imagineer

steandtrish's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16
You'll be fine in the Parks, it might be an idea to have a small bottle of solution with you in case they get itchy for some reason.

I wear lenses and have swum underwater in them and they haven't come out yet!

Old 26 Jul 10, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
steandtrish
Imagineer

steandtrish's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16
You'll be fine in the Parks, it might be an idea to have a small bottle of solution with you in case they get itchy for some reason.

I wear lenses and have swum underwater in them and they haven't come out yet!

Old 26 Jul 10, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
I'm in Florida now and am wearing my lenses all day. I have monthly disposables that I have to take out at night (can't get dailies due to my peculiar prescription).

I've never been told not to swim in them and have worn them for years.

They're absolutely fine on all the rides including at water parks although as others have said I do close my eyes when I swim under water and when I'm about to hit the water at the end of a slide. My children have been trained over the years not to splash me in the face (good excuse to attack Dad instead!) but even if I do get splashed I've never lost a lense that way.

I got lenses when I started diving so I could wear an ordinary face mask - if it breaks I can borrow another and still see the fish (that happened to me in Antigua - if I'd had a prescription mask I couldn't have replaced it in 2 minutes, which is how long it took me to grab another! )

I do find my eyes get irritated at the end of the day though - a combination of the heat and air con I think. I don't wear them on the flight as the air is far too dry.

Can anyone recommend any eye drops I can get over here that are OK to use with lenses? I might go to Walgreens & ask but a recommendation would be nice.
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Sam - I've used boots own make eye drops - only £2.99 - for contact lense wearers. Samll bottle, handy for on plane luggage, only 10 ml.

boots/en/Boots-Comfor...e-drops_17125/

That said, I highly recommned the dailies at £5 - no eye drosp needed then or any fluids to take - no messign around at end of day. YOu don't need your presciption...just the strenght of your lenses (eg, I'm -3.00)... have a play no the website - you'll see how easy it is. I didn't bother telling my opitition as sure he'd try and scare me in buying there own ones at £15 a month!

good luck!
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post

You really, really shouldn't wear contacts for swimming! I work in optics and this infection your optician told you about is true! If you get it you've got a couple of hours of unbearable pain and then you do go blind! Your at even more risk if you wear monthly lenses because the bacteria can fester, especially in the heat. Its really not worth the risk, it happened to one of our patients last year and its just horrible

Ask your optician for one of the more high quality lenses to take with you (any of the acuvue ones) these will be much more comfortable than the cheap ones because they let more oxygen through and have full uv protection.

Oh, I sound like I'm at work now, gonna shut up lol!
Old 26 Jul 10, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Do you have anything official to back this up with?

It's a very scary and not nice thing to say to people before they go on holiday and intend to go swimming with their contact lenses in, as they have always done.

I think we'd all have heard about it if as you say "you've got a couple of hours of unbearable pain and then you do go blind"

Here is the NHS safety guide to wearing contact lenses:

nhs.uk/Livewell/Eyehealth...enssafety.aspx

NOTE "Never wear your lenses while you're having a shower or going swimming (unless you use goggles)" (Source: NHS website)

So yes, if you go under water wearing contact lenses with your eyes wide open, you increase your chances of getting an infection. More than likely, your lenses will just wash away.

Please re-think you post spiya. I have reported it, as I think it is at best ignorant, and at worst evil scaremongering. If my optician said that to me, I would not be very happy - especially in the next breathe he suggested more expensive lenses.

You sound like an optician who is trying to frighten people into buying more expensive lenses, and such behaviour is disgusting.

Edited at 08:47 PM.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by hbabe View Post
i wear monthlys, but will order in dailys for florida, then i dont need to cart around all the solutions,

never had a single problem with them before, and ive also used them for swimming, never had one come out yet and ive been wearing them on and off for 10 years
I hadnt even thought about the weight of the solution hmm dailies is sounding even better now lol
Old 26 Jul 10, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Nic - after reading the comments by someone above claiming to work at an opticians above, I'd go via somewhere like daysoftcontactlenses and by pass the so called 'professionals'.
Closed Thread