Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Aug 16, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

There are loads of student cook books available, they show basic methods as well as recipes. Also tell you portion costs. My eldest is a pretty good cook having been away for 4 years, his brother is going into 2nd year and only just started experimenting with cooking and I have to stand over him most of the time or he will forget/skip things.
Old 14 Aug 16, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

Mobile

Omelettes! Stir fry is easy to do. Quick and healthy with lots of choice of healthy veg to choose from. Frittatas should be easy to do too.
Old 14 Aug 16, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
I have taught DS to cook but he is so lazy I am sure he will be living off super noodles, fried egg sandwiches, cheese omelette and cereal. Luckily he is only 23 miles away and is keeping his weekend job on here so will get fed properly at weekends
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Recommend you have a look at student cook books on amazon.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I can thoroughly recommend How To Boil An Egg student cookbook. My mum bought it for me when I went to uni and it gives the right quantities for one person and lots of cheap and easy recipes. It's fool proof. I recently bought it for my nephew when he went to uni and will be buying it for DS when he (hopefully) goes in September!
Old 14 Aug 16, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Great thread Infinity Red! I'm the same as you ... My Spanish bolognaise is legendary in this house 😂

DD is more veggie than meat eater so am liking the sound of omelettes and frittata - she has always liked my crust less slimming world quiche made with quark or cottage cheese so she can get some practice in over the next few weeks

She has started stirring a stir fry and can cook pasta so she will survive but keep the ideas coming please!
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
georgina
Serious Dibber

georgina's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mac and cheese - pasta, use a cheese sauce mix add some frozen veg, heat through and in the oven with a bit off grated cheese. Soup veg potatoes or rice a couple of stock cubes meat if wanted - mash beans sausage / meat or fish all can be grilled, fried or baked - stir fry chicken veg and noodle quick fry everything after your meat.
Old 14 Aug 16, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

Wow thank you Dibbers ! Great suggestions there, I will definitely check Amazon for the student cook books, didn't even think of them ! I will go through all your recipes with her and see what she fancies. At least she's not a fussy eater so there sounds as though there's lots to choose from here.
A few months ago it was my sons birthday and I thought I would bake him a cake, first time ever, and he begged me not to, he saw it as some kind of punishment lol
Glad I'm not the only one ColandAli 😁
Old 14 Aug 16, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
AnnieB
Imagineer

We used to eat pasta with mayo and ketchup mixed in :/

Microwave a potato for 5-8 minutes, then oven bake 20 minutes, add cheese, tuna or other favorite topping.
AnnieB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Soups - incredibly easy.

Leek + potato + bacon soup.
1 rasher bacon, some potatoes, 1 roughly chopped onion 1 leek, put them all in a pan, cover with water and add chicken stock and some black pepper, simmer until potatoes are soft, blend with stick blender, jobs done. Can make large portions as it freezes well.

Sweet potato and red pepper soup - chopped sweet potatoes, red/yellow/orange pepper, onion, some pepper, garlic powder and paprika, cover with water + stock cube, simmer ...etc.
returnplanning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread