Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 24 Feb 20, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Ski holiday number 35 for me coming up in 2 weeks time..

OP - if that’s half term I’d say that’s a good price. Normally I expect to spend £1k on a week but don’t normally have lessons and don’t go in half term and even then am spending roughly same as you.

To echo some of the above
- going with a package first time makes sense. You will have enough to think about without needing to worry about logistics. A bit like the first trip to Disney, it’s good to leave a lot of the planning to a tour company then you can always go independent in the future once you know how it all works.
- eating out at lunch is expensive and not easily avoided. Eating out in the evening can jack the price up but can be avoided, so if you can/are going half board then you will save quite a bit.

Nearly all my skiing is in France but I have been to Austria on occasion. The apres-ski is legendary there. If you want to know what not to do, try searching for ‘drunk person Mooservirt’ on you tube for plenty of clips of people trying to ski down the mountain when walking may have been the safer option!
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

I think that’s a good price for Austria in the half term.

We prefer to go at Easter as it’s quieter and warmer but you do need to select a resort that will still have good snow then.

We’ve been to Austria twice in Feb and really enjoyed it.

I wouldn’t do any lessons on a dry slope, just book your ski school for you week away, you’ll have a great time with your group learning together.

We’re off to Beitostolen, Norway at Easter, our second time there. It’s a lovely resort.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
My tip is not to underestimate the cost of meals in ski resorts, not just the mountain, but also in the village. I'd go for half board if poss, or chalet board. That way, your main meals are covered in case you get to the resort and find meals expensive.

Also, we found the prices of lift passes was cheaper direct from the tour operator, than from the resort, even if we left them to buy on the transfer bus from the rep, they were still cheaper which was a surprise. That was Val D'isere. But definitely shop around for these.
Old 28 Feb 20, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Tre85
VIP Dibber

Me and the OH are looking at doing our first ski holiday next Feb (not half term).

We have friends who have been for the past 3 years to Borovets in Bulgaria. They have just been for this Feb half term and for flights, half board hotel, ski school, lift passes etc (basically everything!) it cost them £1500 for 2 adults. They said they like Bulgaria as it is good for beginners and they don't feel out of place. Now they are a bit better at skiing they said they will venture out to other places and are looking at Lake Tahoe for next year.
Old 6 Mar 20, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridababy16
Trainee Dibber

Thank you for your responses - lots of food for thought there. We are definitely going to book our tip for next year.
Floridababy16 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List