Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Feb 20, 05:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Jordan & Petra - 1st February - Travel Day.

So finally our trip had arrived and it was time to set off to a place I have wanted to visit for a long time. It’s been on my bucket list ever since seeing those scenes of Petra in Indiana Jones as a kid so finally being able to see it and the country for myself was something I was really looking forward too. If you’ve had chance to read my pre-trip report you’ll know that a companion voucher and Avios from BA certainly helped to make this happen! Earlier this year with the incident between Iran and the USA I was keeping watch on the FCO advise as well as liaising with our tour company in Jordan but thankfully it didn’t escalate into something which meant us not being able to travel. We’ve also booked China for this year too but are not due to travel until October so are following developments there as well to see what happens. There’s plenty of time before we go and need to sort visas etc... but we’ll follow FCO advice as well as keep in touch with our travel guides in China and the airline. We’ve just delayed booking anything else at the minute. Just Kirsty and me again for this trip as Sam is staying at home studying for his A levels and sleeping lots. May be a bit photo light today but I’ll make up for it over the coming days.

So with us flying from London at 14:50 we decided to drive down from Hull on the day which meant a not too early departure of 6:30am. The day before I was off work which meant I had the job of looking after the plasterer who came to do our bathroom ceiling ahead of the bathroom being refurbished, packing, sorting Sams food out with him staying at home and also his car delivery. He’s not long passed his test and bought himself a second hand mini with the money he’s saved although the insurance was nearly as much as the car, ouch! Once we were up, caffeine stocked and car packed we said our goodbyes to Sam, reminding him no parties now he’s 18 and to ensure he got up for work today. Roads weren’t too bad on traffic and we stopped at Toddington services on the M1 for more coffee before arriving at Heathrow Terminal 5 not long after 11.

Bag drop done and heading through security when Kirsty can’t get through the automatic barriers. She’s sent back to one of the desks where she’s advised that due to our Brexit departure the day before the visa rules for Jordan will be changing, but not today luckily. She’s not long and once through we are soon cleared and scanned and having a wander around terminal 5. I like T5, lots of places to sit, grab a coffee and Kirsty likes the shops but luckily doesn’t spend much since there is Cartier, Tiffany’s, Hermes etc... Around 12 we decide to head for food and pick Giraffe. I had a sunshine iced tea and spicy king prawn rice bowl.

Kirsty opting for Katsu curry and both were delicious. Afterwards we had a wander around the shops, sorted Sams car delivery time with him being at work and picked up some water and headed to our gate. Last few times we’ve flown BA we have been hand luggage only and always been in group 5, today we had reached the heady heights of group 4 so boarded a little bit before the others and settled into our seats. Almost a full flight but no one else was on our row so we made use of the spare seat for storage of pillows and blankets and left for Jordan only about 10 minutes late. Not long into departure drinks and snacks were served and I settled down with a book.

It wasn’t a long book and I’d finished it in about an hour or so. Really good read, reminded me a bit of Charlottes web. I next settled down with a film picking Jojo Rabbit as we missed this at the cinema. Not long into the film the meal was served and I opted for (tahini I think) chicken with red wine to drink. Kirsty went for the veggie mac n cheese but just picked at it. I tried a bit but it had cauliflower on the top which I’m not keen on.

Mine was fair enough for plane food and we made our decent into Amman later on arriving pretty much on time at 22:00 local time, they are only two hours ahead. Not too long to disembark and we soon spot the representative from our tour company, Jordan Select Tours, waiting for us. He whisked us off to immigration and gets our visas sorted for us before we head for our case. We then see a message from Sam saying his car had not arrived so after finally getting in touch he tells us he’s sorted it himself and it should be there later that night, to which it was. After this we settle the rest of the tour cost and our rep takes us to meet our driver for our next 5 days, Khaled. We contacted this company after reading lots of reviews and me doing plenty of research. I had looked at basing ourselves in Amman and doing day trips out with various people but when I had priced this up against a tour the tour they arranged wasn’t much more. They made our tour bespoke to us adding in stuff we wanted to do and dropping some bits we didn’t want to, it was completely tailor made and just us with our driver, Khaled.

He soon arrives and we settle in for the drive to Amman. It takes about 40 minutes to reach the hotel and this gives us time to chat with Khaled, go over the next few days, some of his suggestions and get to know each other as well. We arrive at our hotel after 11:00pm ( Al Qasr metropole) and Khaled helps us check in where they upgrade us to an executive suite! He checks if we need any food recommendations for tonight but our beds are calling so we arrange our meet for the morning at 9:00am then head off to our room.

It’s big and spacious and we do a bit of unpacking but are soon in bed and asleep although I wake and doze from about 4:00am listening to the call to prayer from a nearby minaret. Tomorrow we head off into the north of Jordan to visit Aljoun castle and ancient ruins of Jerash. I’ve been really impressed with everything so far. Jordan Select tours have been brilliant and the people here are so friendly (Khaled is an amazing guy) I’ve got a feeling it’s going to be a great trip.

Edited at 05:35 AM.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Oh so glad I spotted this! Always been on my to do list, will definitely be following along. Thank you 😊
Old 6 Feb 20, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
Oh so glad I spotted this! Always been on my to do list, will definitely be following along. Thank you 😊
We’ve just got back today. Was only a short trip but must be one of my favourite breaks away we’ve done.

The history and sights are truly spectacular, Petra is something else. The Jordanian people must be some of the friendliest I have met on my travels. I’ll post some more days soon but if you choose to go sure you won’t be disappointed.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
We’ve just got back today. Was only a short trip but must be one of my favourite breaks away we’ve done.

The history and sights are truly spectacular, Petra is something else. The Jordanian people must be some of the friendliest I have met on my travels. I’ll post some more days soon but if you choose to go sure you won’t be disappointed.
That’s fantastic to hear, will definitely be following and taking notes! Thank you