Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 9 Feb 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Jordan & Petra - 6th February - Home time & final thoughts

So our short break in Jordan had all too soon come to an end. Our alarm went off at 4:00am and the first thing I saw was a text from BA advising our flight home had been cancelled. They where offering us to fly back later with Royal Jordanian or defer coming home until Friday but unfortunately that wasn’t an option as Kirsty was back at work. No matter how happy we would of been to stay we needed to get back so we met up with Khaled at 5:00am for our final drive with him to the airport.

We spent the time chatting and eating our breakfast boxes and after an hour we arrived at Amman airport. It was time for us to say goodbye to Khaled. He was much more than a driver and as we all hugged and he called me ‘brother’ we said our goodbyes and we knew we had made a good friend. He asked if we would return to which our answer was definitely but we would want him to be the one to show us more of this great country.

We headed into the airport and found the BA desk and after over 90 minutes of trying to sort it out we finally had our tickets then had to wait in another queue for over an hour with Royal Jordanian to check in and drop our case off. I was a bit fed up at this point. The issue was that as we had two people on our booking they where struggling to switch it so passports had to be copied and sent to London to sort it out, which eventually it was, but at one point I wasn’t sure if we’d be travelling home that day.

Passports and security cleared we stopped for a coffee and bite to eat and I picked up a Starbucks mug. We boarded on time and left pretty much on time. The flight was full and we saw plenty of people who we’d been trying to sort our tickets out with. After coming home I did speak to BA and they advised I qualified for cancellation compensation, one phone call and they’ve sorted a refund of 600€, more than happy with that!

We landed about 3 hours later and at terminal 3 instead of 5 and I sorted with meet and greet to drop our car there instead which was no issue. We where soon back on the road to Hull by about 3:30pm. Usual traffic issues on the M25 but we where home by 8pm with a Macdonalds in hand so we could sit and have a catch up with Sam. He could tell us what he’d been up to and show us his new car. We could tell him about our time in Jordan.

And so our holiday to Jordan had ended, we’d had the most fantastic break and I know it won’t be the only time we head to this amazing country. We both said we’d had an unforgettable time and it’s a holiday we’ll always remember.

Final thoughts

Jordan exceeded all my expectations. I had a feeling I would like it but I came away really loving the country with a real desire to go back and see more.

Planning a private tour was something we haven’t done before usually doing everything ourselves. I had priced this up doing it myself but the tour with Jordan Select Tours didn’t cost that much more. As they built it around us, what we wanted see and when it worked perfectly and to be honest I think I have now been a bit spoilt. I’ve done bus trips/group tours before and I don’t mind them but this was very much our agenda and the timings where all ours. If we wanted longer somewhere it was fine, didn’t want to stop for lunch, no problem. There was no waiting around for other people and was totally flexible. It really was brilliant and I would certainly do this type of trip again.

I feel we only scratched the service on the sights this country has to offer. I came on a desire to see Petra but found a country which offered so much more, Petra did not disappoint at all. What we did see was breathtaking and impressive in equal measure. We are not church goers but seeing the religious sights was something very special. Where Jesus was baptised, where Moses looked out on the Promised Land, Lots Cave, it was hard not to be a bit moved standing in the footsteps of these people from history.

Jerash and Petra just blew me away. Can’t describe the feeling of walking through the siq and catching sight of the treasury or standing in the forum in Jerash. Pictures will never do it justice and a repeat visits would be needed to explore these places more.

I loved Amman, a truly awesome city, busy and buzzing. Such a great atmosphere with friendly locals.

I know Jordan is situated in a part of the world that has its conflicts and just before we went there was the incident between Iran and the USA. I felt perfectly safe wherever we where in Jordan. Khaled spoke with us about some of the issues and although security is visible in hotels and at sights it wasn’t unnerving at all. The police we met and spoke with told us we where welcome. There can be issues from neighbouring countries but please don’t let this stop you going. The people where some of the most welcoming and kindest I have ever met on my travels. I’d go back there in a heartbeat and felt more than happy wandering around and exploring.

Finally our friend Khaled. I honestly don’t think we’d have enjoyed it as much if we didn’t have Khaled to show us round. He made us welcome from the minute we met him. We laughed, talked, found out about each other and he went out of his way to make it perfect. He changed up what we did to maximise our time, added in stops to show us something different, foods to try, sights we’d not thought about, this guy made the trip. He taught us so much about Jordan, it’s people, culture and history. We’d love to meet up with him when we return and would want our brother and friend to be the one to show us more of this amazing country on our return.

Next for us is a citybreak to Brussels with my sister and brother in law followed by a Disneyland Paris trip with Sam in July. We’ve booked to go to China in October - flights and private tour - currently our plan is still to go but we are watching the situation with the Coronavirus and taking our steer from how this progresses . If we can’t travel we’ll head somewhere else but I sincerely hope for all concerned and those effected this is resolved and sorted as soon as possible.

Finally needless to say Jordan will always be special to me, I’ve got some wonderful memories from this trip. If anyone wants anymore information, what we did or to ask me any questions just let me know. It will always be one of the most amazing places I’ve been too and if you’re thinking of visiting please do sure you won’t be disappointed.

Thanks for reading along.

Edited at 09:41 PM.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 20, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
sarahly
Gone all Goofy

This was a really great trip report thank you! Jordan has been near the top of my list for a good while and this has really inspired me. It does sound like you had a really good driver for you trip so I will definitely take a look at that company, even though we too would usually arrange everything independently.
sarahly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 20, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sarahly View Post
This was a really great trip report thank you! Jordan has been near the top of my list for a good while and this has really inspired me. It does sound like you had a really good driver for you trip so I will definitely take a look at that company, even though we too would usually arrange everything independently.
Really was a special place to visit. We’ve certainly for the last few years have always done things independently when travelling but having done Jordan with a private tour felt this was a great way to do it. Totally flexible, no driving hassles and our agenda, Jordan Select Tours were excellent.

When things settle I’d definitely recommend a trip, I’m sure we’ll go back as the brief time we where there gave us a real desire to head back.

Thanks for reading and glad you enjoyed the trip report.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List