Notices

View Poll Results: Were N Somerset Councillors correct or incorrect in making this decision?
Yes - the decision was the correct one 8 24.24%
No - the decision was incorrect 25 75.76%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Feb 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
apollo163
Imagineer

Lol yes I've changed it I meant the m5. There is 2 really nice runways in the South West one is rarely used to its full potential and the other is mega busy for about 2 weeks every year but I don't think boscombe down or fairford would work
2001 private villa (poinciana blvd)
2006 villa formosa gardens

Edited at 08:06 AM.
apollo163 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
NEWQUAY benefitted from taking on the RAF St Mawgan runway but even there the services could not be maintained. (NEWQUAY-Plymouth-Gatwick). I know charter flights use it in the summer though. Did you mean M5? Agreed. As BB stated earlier it’s chicken and egg scenario. I’m not sure if Exeter could be extended either. Birmingham of midlands use would be similar to using any London airports too.
It was suggested - if only for a short period - that the old Greenham Common airbase site could be used as a commercial airport. Ok so it would have needed a lot of work but given the runway was one of the longest in Europe at one time it would have been a good use (IMHO) of the site. However the runway was ripped up and used for hardcore for the A34 bypass and the land handed back to the public so the majority of locals would have preferred having it as common land rather than an airport.

As a local I would have been happy either way.
Old 12 Feb 20, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

The advantage of keeping NEWQUAY runway is that it can take large aircraft in the event of a trans-Atlantic emergency too.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
bbc/news/uk-england-bristol-51447705

I know this is a localised issue, however, on principle were N Somerset councillors correct or incorrect in taking this decision? ... and why ?

Vote now - Yes or No

Personally , I think it was short-sighted and will hamper development in the region. It would have also given more travel options to the SW, South Wales etc . No more treks to London either.
I voted to support the expansion living in Devon, with limits on destinations from Exeter, Bristol is a godsend. The ability to fly to Florida with TUI is wonderful. I just wish that the New York flights hadn’t been
cancelled anything that gives a chance of resurrecting direct US flights is excellent

Edited at 05:23 PM.
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List