Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Mar 20, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
I am interested. I know nothing about shares. Where would be the best place to buy from? I gather we get on board credit? I think that is true. Thanks for any help you can give me.
My husband uses Hargreaves Lansdown. I don't pay much attention but it looks pretty simple. You need 100 shares to get the obc.
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
My husband uses Hargreaves Lansdown. I don't pay much attention but it looks pretty simple. You need 100 shares to get the obc.
Thank you, I will take a look.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Ash
Imagineer

I was looking for another post and this came up in my search so I thought I would do a quick update, I already owned shares in Disney, when the world came to a stand still because of covid, my hubby and decided invest more into the Disney stock. Back March/April we both bought more stock, at the time it was around $90 (or less) per share, now in March 2021 it has more than doubled... yay!
Old 19 Mar 21, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

I use trading 212, its very easy and the app is excellent, now don't laugh but my 14 year old son has done very well out of it, always remember there is risk but he seems to have a knack for it. The jammy little so and so 😂 he backed tesla 6 months ago.
Old 19 Mar 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Congrats! 😀

If anyone else wants a punt, William Hill will take your money... , for most people, and especially if you have a lot to invest, don’t invest in single shares - spread your risk across a fund. 😀
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Threw me when I saw this thread is its from last year and I'm posting on it about Carnival shares. I took the plunge at just under 800 and have bought and sold the 100 share four times since. I bought them more for the cabin credit then an investment as such. However the cabin credit can be as low as £50 so when the shares went up over £100 I sold again as better in my pocket. They then dropped and off I went again.

I have now held on to them and are currently at 1700. Equally then could plummet tomorrow.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Yes. Check the dates carefully as comments on shares trajectories are dodgy enough at the best of times but on the basis of year old data is even worse.

If you are really interested potentially in individual equities then I suggest opening a practice account with Trading 212. It's monopoly money so you don't lose anything, but it just shows you how volatile the process and big dips but with potential for gains too. Practice first for free then dip toes in water when know what you are doing.

Big difference between investing - long haul purchase and short term trading. It doesn't have to be microsecond trading. Buying and selling multiple times in a year also counts.

Investing is different, buying for the long term. 5-10 year horizon. My investments are in diversified investment / index funds. I also trade a bit on individual equities or hold them short term for rapid gains. Either way worth doing research.

If you buy within an ISA you are protected to a degree from UK taxes but us ones can still get you. If looking for s n s ISA and think you will wish to both invest and trade in any one year then get an ISA that allows you to do both. Not all will allow you to hold index funds or similar and individual equities in the same ISA.

It's the end of the year and there are a lot of people pushing ISA allowance use up emails, and get your ISA for next year emails. Not all platforms and providers are equal. Do your own due diligence.

I am not a financial advisor.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List