Notices

View Poll Results: would you pay for seat selection
Yes because I have young children 124 17.01%
Yes we are adults and we like to sit together 370 50.75%
No we are adults and don't mind sitting apart if that happens 160 21.95%
No we have young children but laws mean that they will be sat nearby anyway 75 10.29%
Voters: 729. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Oct 18, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Its another scam. The CAA say they should sit families together, but who would chance it with young kids. They say if not possible kids should (not could, maybe, hopefully, SHOULD) be sat within one row- caa/passengers/on-...ng-allocation/ and caa/Blog-Posts/Are...-comfortably-/
The CAA clearly say families should not have to pay to sit together.
Ryanair in particular appears to ignore the CAA- see here caa/Passengers/Bef...g-allocations/
Apparently this review is still ongoing- independent/travel...-a8193431.html

If it was just me and Mrs YT no way would I pay. With the kids, long haul I have, much to my shame.
Old 10 Oct 18, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Its another scam. The CAA say they should sit families together, but who would chance it with young kids. .
Clearly at least 13 people so far lol...
I guess different factors affect this as well.
Like when you are going (so therefore if the plane will be full or not).

How much you paid for your flights if you pay less seat selection works out a larger percentage of the cost.

If you book a few months before or a year. (I booked late and could see plenty of spare seats so I knew there was a better chance of getting seats together.

And like others said airline policy
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I’m surprised how many people will pay for seats as adults. I am part of that group.

I wouldn’t pay on a short domestic flight. But I would for a long haul (we get special assistance so I have had it refunded now. But originally we paid up front because I didn’t realise I could get them free. Then this year we booked them because it was the weekend and we wanted specific ones, and got it refunded again).

I’m not sure where I would stand on a 3/4 hour flight. I’ve never been separated from my family on a flight for this length. However now the decision is in my hands (haven’t flown as a family where I have been booking the holiday) I would want to sit together.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Scott family
Apprentice Imagineer

Scott family's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We always pay, I hate flying so would hate to be on my own unless I absolutely had to, We always take it into account when we book.
Old 10 Oct 18, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I can’t vote as there’s nothing for. I pay but I object to paying
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
redfox5
slightly serious Dibber

redfox5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The thing which annoys me the most about paying for a seat is that if nobody paid and it was on a first come first served basis. You would end up sitting together anyways.
Old 10 Oct 18, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by redfox5 View Post
The thing which annoys me the most about paying for a seat is that if nobody paid and it was on a first come first served basis. You would end up sitting together anyways.
I totally agree and it just adds another decision to be made to the holiday and therefore making everything more stressful lol.
The amount of where are the best seat threads (I am a culprit of one of these lol) that happen because we want the 'best' seats. If it was first come first served (like it used to be) then that would be much fairer and simpler and less stressful but that wouldn't earn them loads lol
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Normally travel with BA and they are very good at sitting families together so have never booked seats when travelling as a family. Voted no but on my last trip just with DH I did prebook exit row seats as I was recoverng from a bowel op and wanted to ensure near the toilet and it was easy to get to without someone having to move for me each time !
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I need another option,

I pay to ensure that I am sat away from my kids
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by captain-codeye View Post
I need another option,

I pay to ensure that I am sat away from my kids
Does that mean you pay just for you ...I'm envisaging you in Premium and the kids in economy...you could pay for premium with what you save on their seat selection