Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 28 Jan 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Macbook/John Lewis Price Match

DD is 18 in a couple of weeks time and is (hopefully) off to uni in September. We would like to get her a MacBook for her birthday. Where is the best place to get one from? We were thinking of going to Touchwood at Solihull as they have an Apple Store and a John Lewis. I know Apple will give a student discount but will John Lewis price match with that as I would like to have the longer guarantee that JL give.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

We have always ordered direct from Apple with the student discount as we found that John Lewis wouldn't match the price.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

yeah, im pretty sure JL dont do student pricing, and are unlikely to want to match the apple discount

also, last i checked (a few years ago) apple gave free applecare to higher education students as part of the price. thats a much better offer than any sort of warranty JL would do, as it covers all damages.

*edit*
scratch that, looks like they dropped free applecare in 2016

macrumors/2016/06/16...-applecare-uk/

Edited at 12:37 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Is it a two year warranty from JL?
You are covered for at least two (up to six) years from any retailer under EU consumer law. I took my 23 month old iPhone back to Apple and they replaced it (with a little bit of a fight)
Or if you have Costco membership they are usually the same price as with the student discount and offer 2 year warranty and help desk.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Its worth having a look what deals Apple are doing too as when we bought dd's MacBook they were offering free Beats headphones with it.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Around July time Apple do a 'back to school' promotion, where you get a free Beats headphones, apparently worth £300 sold separately, for students.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Its worth having a look what deals Apple are doing too as when we bought dd's MacBook they were offering free Beats headphones with it.
We got the free Beats offer for both our son & daughter’s MacBooks 😀
Jaybeez is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Mobile

Another vote for Apple direct. They have done offers for students each year prior to uni starting. That said it depends on what she will be using laptop for. Ifs it art type work then mac all the way as that is what will be used by the uni. However if it’s general student work then there are some very good window laptops around at half the price. Acer Swift 3 or 5 spring to mind
Dinglebert is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
No sure if you work but my hubby can buy a MacBook through his work a bit like the Cycle scheme and get a good deal and i think they take the money monthly from your salary

2023 - Orlando/Gulf Coast
2024 - Menorca & Malta
2025 - Norwegian Fjords and Boston/NY
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Thank you all - it looks like the Apple Store then. Unfortunately she won't wait until July when her birthday is in February and she has her heart set on the MacBook rather than anything else. I have an Imac which I have had for about 5 years and it's as good as the day I bought it so want it to last her the 5 year course as she has already had laptops.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List