Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Jan 20, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
we go in early November and we are staying off site through Expedia (homeaway) just over the road on a complex.

Its a 15 minute walk according to google maps, which probably means only 10 in reality.

We are a family of 4 that has two teenage girls and space is important - as is separate beds - and hotels usually are double double which is a pain.

we also like that it has a kitchen as we prefer our own food rather than $150 on meals each day and we can prepare our own snacks. Plus free parking.

With tax, it is just under £250 a night. But for what we get with personal space, kitchen, parking and pools etc its worth it for us.

Look up Funteirland on expedia if you are interested. They seem to have loads of properties in that complex.
Which side of Disneyland is that?

Only properties on Harbour Boulevard are 15 minutes walk or less.

Properties on Disneyland Drive are not 15 minutes walk.

Properties on Disneyland Drive side advertise as being beside Disneyland, which technically they are. HOWEVER, the pedestrian entrance is at the end of Downtown Disney and then you have to walk all the way through Downtown Disney to get to the actual entrance turnstiles.

Also be careful with properties on the Disneyland Drive side which advertise a shortcut through Grand California Hotel or Mickey and Friends parking structure. These walkways are no longer possible.

Also properties on Katella Aveune which advterise as beside the park. Again technically yes they are HOWEVER, there are only the 2 pedestrian entrances, so depending on which side of Katella Avenue the property is, you have to walk up Harbour Boulevard or up Disneyland Drive.

Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

There are, as already said, many hotels within a short walk of Disneyland. Much as I love the Disneyland hotels I can’t justify the prices when I can get decent hotels nearby for a fraction of the price. We’ve never paid more than £100 / night and usually less.
Old 30 Jan 20, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

We have booked the Hyatt Regency in December this year for 2 nights. I actually turn 50 when I’m there , and did consider the Grand Cali but I just can’t justify the costs of staying onsite. It’s at the corner of Chapman Avenue and S Harbour Rd.
it says it’s about a 30 min walk, which we really don’t mind. With jet lag we will be up really early so will walk up and go for breakfast. We paid $335 for 2 nights which we though was a great price. We could’ve got closer, but I wanted somewhere a bit nicer given it’s my birthday.
Sandraoh40 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
We have booked the Hyatt Regency in December this year for 2 nights. I actually turn 50 when I’m there , and did consider the Grand Cali but I just can’t justify the costs of staying onsite. It’s at the corner of Chapman Avenue and S Harbour Rd.
it says it’s about a 30 min walk, which we really don’t mind. With jet lag we will be up really early so will walk up and go for breakfast. We paid $335 for 2 nights which we though was a great price. We could’ve got closer, but I wanted somewhere a bit nicer given it’s my birthday.
Honestly 30 minute walk is too far. Have you checked Google Maps?

A much better option for you is to walk to Toy Story Parking Lot and take the free Disney Shuttle bus. Many people do this and its half the walk.

Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

The first time we visited we stayed at Embassy Suites south. The hotel was great and we enjoyed the free breakfast each morning but it was probably t least a 30-40 minute walk to the park. We did it once then used the hotel shuttle for the rest of the holiday. The second time we went we stayed at Portifino Suites which was about a 10-15 minute walk, the rooms were clean and fairly large. Friends of ours have recently stayed at Castle Suites which is one of the hotels opposite the park entrance, they said it was good and would return.

Edited at 09:37 PM.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Vertigo
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Which side of Disneyland is that?

Only properties on Harbour Boulevard are 15 minutes walk or less.

Properties on Disneyland Drive are not 15 minutes walk.

Properties on Disneyland Drive side advertise as being beside Disneyland, which technically they are. HOWEVER, the pedestrian entrance is at the end of Downtown Disney and then you have to walk all the way through Downtown Disney to get to the actual entrance turnstiles.

Also be careful with properties on the Disneyland Drive side which advertise a shortcut through Grand California Hotel or Mickey and Friends parking structure. These walkways are no longer possible.

Also properties on Katella Aveune which advterise as beside the park. Again technically yes they are HOWEVER, there are only the 2 pedestrian entrances, so depending on which side of Katella Avenue the property is, you have to walk up Harbour Boulevard or up Disneyland Drive.

Interesting.

Looking at the map it is on the left of Disney On South Walnut.

The Homeaway page claims it’s a 4 minute walk which i immediately disregarded and put the address in to google maps and it showed a 15 minute route to the gates, not through the hotels.

But never having been before I am interested in your knowledge.
Vertigo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
damaged
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We stayed at the discovery inn and suites last year, which was simple, but great for what we wanted, plus It was only a 15 minute walk through downtown disney. This year we’re back for an adult only trip and staying at the best western pavilions, which is next door to the one we stayed at last year 😁
Upcoming: Feb 24' - Hubby's 40th
damaged is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
MissB87
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We went in 2017 and stayed at the Best Western plus pavilions

It was around £100 a night, it was easily within walking distance, clean, good base for lots of hours in the parks! Also bus stop right outside if you wanted to god to park entrance not walk through downtown Disney.

It’s on West Katella Avenue
MissB87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Interesting.

Looking at the map it is on the left of Disney On South Walnut.

The Homeaway page claims it’s a 4 minute walk which i immediately disregarded and put the address in to google maps and it showed a 15 minute route to the gates, not through the hotels.

But never having been before I am interested in your knowledge.
oh goodness
South Walnut is not 4 minutes. Also I would be very wary about Homeaway and other short term rentals. The City of Anaheim is very much against short term rentals and in the last few years has made alot of rules and regulations. Unfortunately many short term rentals operate illegally. I have seen trip reports of people turning up and not having a place to stay or people turning up and being told to tell the neighbours they are the owners family / relatives.

South Walnut is where many CM's live and I have seen reports from parents of CM's who are worried about their children walking home after work.

I put in a random address on Google Maps and its showing a 20 minute walk , through Disneyland Hotel.

Honestly, I would price up places on Harbour Boulevard and cancel Homeaway. If you need a suite, there are a good few properties with suites in various price ranges.

Walking after park closing down Harbour Boulevard is much safer than walking to South Walnut. Theres a steady stream of tourists walking to a huge amount of hotels on the Harbour Boulevard side of Disneyland
Old 30 Jan 20, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Vertigo
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
oh goodness
South Walnut is not 4 minutes. Also I would be very wary about Homeaway and other short term rentals. The City of Anaheim is very much against short term rentals and in the last few years has made alot of rules and regulations. Unfortunately many short term rentals operate illegally. I have seen trip reports of people turning up and not having a place to stay or people turning up and being told to tell the neighbours they are the owners family / relatives.

South Walnut is where many CM's live and I have seen reports from parents of CM's who are worried about their children walking home after work.

I put in a random address on Google Maps and its showing a 20 minute walk , through Disneyland Hotel.

Honestly, I would price up places on Harbour Boulevard and cancel Homeaway. If you need a suite, there are a good few properties with suites in various price ranges.

Walking after park closing down Harbour Boulevard is much safer than walking to South Walnut. Theres a steady stream of tourists walking to a huge amount of hotels on the Harbour Boulevard side of Disneyland
Thanks for that. Will give it some thought and do some more digging.

A bit more detail in that where you put the pin for the map, we are in the complex above it.

We actually booked through Expedia. I know they own Homeaway, but our contract is with Expedia and the rental part of the complex is run by a company called Funtierland who have many condos. I have researched them and they seem legit.

But your points about the area are well made and I will do a bit more.

Appreciate your responses. Thank you.

Edited at 11:14 PM.
Vertigo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List