Notices

View Poll Results: Were N Somerset Councillors correct or incorrect in making this decision?
Yes - the decision was the correct one 8 24.24%
No - the decision was incorrect 25 75.76%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Feb 20, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Bristol Airport Expansion Plans Rejected

bbc/news/uk-england-bristol-51447705

I know this is a localised issue, however, on principle were N Somerset councillors correct or incorrect in taking this decision? ... and why ?

Vote now - Yes or No

Personally , I think it was short-sighted and will hamper development in the region. It would have also given more travel options to the SW, South Wales etc . No more treks to London either.

Edited at 09:20 AM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
A difficult decision. Environment v Growth.

I would have voted to expand but that's more based on the fact that Cardiff Airport needs to close as it's a financial millstone around our necks.

I do wonder though if most Councillors live in La La Land as they seem out of touch with the real World. Bit like Judges really.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
bbc/news/uk-england-bristol-51447705

I know this is a localised issue, however, on principle were N Somerset councillors correct or incorrect in taking this decision? ... and why ?

Vote now - Yes or No
I voted that they were correct.
The road network supporting the airport and surrounding area is already gridlocked, you have to allow sooooo much time to get there
the airport is not currently running at capacity,
there is no direct rail link,
most people arrive by car whether this would be to a transport hub or directly to the airport

I would rather fly from Birmingham/Heathrow/Gatwick, they have MUCH better transport links.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I voted that they were correct.
The road network supporting the airport and surrounding area is already gridlocked, you have to allow sooooo much time to get there
the airport is not currently running at capacity,
there is no direct rail link,
most people arrive by car whether this would be to a transport hub or directly to the airport

I would rather fly from Birmingham/Heathrow/Gatwick, they have MUCH better transport links.
I live here and have never had any problems with traffic getting to this airport... sure the A38 isn’t great. But the other way is fine. One crash on the M4 and you can’t get to London.

I voted no. I’m annoyed they’ve rejected this.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
I live here and have never had any problems with traffic getting to this airport... sure the A38 isn’t great. But the other way is fine. One crash on the M4 and you can’t get to London.

It was a shame also that the Continental service to Newark ended too.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post

I lived in a few of the North Somerset villages not far from Bristol Airport for a few years, and would use the A38 by the airport to get to work and I agree with you. Whilst it can get busy at the traditional rush hours at both ends of the day, it was otherwise fine.

It was a shame also that the Continental service to Newark ended too.
I was going to post about this too. There was much excitement when Continental announced that route, but it was eventually stopped because it wasn't used enough, which tells a tale of sorts.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

I havent flown from Bristol airport for years - the fact I flew on an airline called "go" probably dates it !

From memory - as others have said - it's not the easiest to get to due to the "minor" road network. It takes a long time (subjective) to get there from the nearest motorway.

as for Cardiff I wonder what would happen to the aircraft maintenance facilities if they shut that down. Again I havebt been their for years but remember flying over my house in Wales (risca) on the 1day up to Glasgow when I used to commute up their each week.
Old 11 Feb 20, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I havent flown from Bristol airport for years - the fact I flew on an airline called "go" probably dates it !

From memory - as others have said - it's not the easiest to get to due to the "minor" road network. It takes a long time (subjective) to get there from the nearest motorway.

as for Cardiff I wonder what would happen to the aircraft maintenance facilities if they shut that down. Again I havebt been their for years but remember flying over my house in Wales (risca) on the 1day up to Glasgow when I used to commute up their each week.
If expansion was approved then maybe the infrastructure would improve too.
Old 11 Feb 20, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

If expansion was approved then maybe the infrastructure would improve too.
A bit chicken and egg I guess. You can bet your life though that if airport and road expansion plans were approved to locals would be very vocal !
Old 11 Feb 20, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

The decision will be overturned and will cost local tax payers millions in legal costs
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List