Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Feb 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The I4

Just a quick question regarding the I4, is it still a nightmare going up to Sea World and Universal?

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
DanLees
Getting Excited

We used it quite a bit between the 12th and 22nd Feb.

It wasn't great but it was usable in the mornings.

The whole area I4/192 area in LBV got VERY busy between 4 and 6pm each day. It wasn't as bad further north up towards Universal.
DanLees is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

if your going from disney / LBV area go up Turkey Lake, far less whacky races and less hassle all round
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

That section isn't affected by the roadworks (yet). Most of the time it is still the quickest route. I would suggest checking the traffic via Google Maps etc before you set off especially as you are going from Southern Dunes.
Old 27 Feb 20, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Paul

I don't know where you're staying but if you want a scenic route to Seaworld try International Drive. As you might know it starts right down on 192 next to Logan's Steakhouse opposite Old Town.

That lower end of I-Drive is so different to the stretch north of Sand Lake. All dual-carriageway and for most of it you're in open countryside with the occasional resort.

Obviously longer than using the Interstate but we can count on one hand the number of cars we see.

Mick
Old 27 Feb 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
PS Paul

I really should have read your countdown

Basically get up to the 192 using 27 (via my shortcut to Sherberth if you like) or maybe using the 17?

Mick

PPS

Or maybe just bite the bullet and pick up I-4 at Posner

Edited at 03:03 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
stevecoda
Helping Donald

Yes, total nightmare - we just returned yesterday and honestly, would think twice about a villa anywhere past Champions Gate.

The I4 in the mornings - looking on google maps - are red around champions gate Slip roads and added about 15 mins delay to Disney. Took about an hour and a quarter to get to Universal in the mornings. All Rush hour traffic.

Returning, the I4 is something to try and keep away from. Red, Red and more Red. Took around 2 hours back to the Villa in Balmoral anytime between 4 and 8pm.

You may think that you can take another Route - but most of Orlando thinks that way too, so all roads leading south are Red.

Decided to try cutting across to the 27, then down, but this is slow, plus the 27 has lights, so its stop and go.

Oh, and there are roadworks on the 27.

One unfortunate day, we were on the 429 (or 427), and stopped a few cars away from an overturned people carrier. Turns out that a pickup had slammed into the back of it, killing a 5 year old girl called Scarlett (a twin), her brother 11, and Mum and grandma, coming back from Disney. Scary thing is that we were a few cars behind, with our Daughter, Scarlett and twin Brother, and older brother. Alot of idiot american drivers who drive too close and zip in and out at speed - so be aware of who is also behind you, as more than likely they are looking at their phone.

Ideally, to get a good run up and down the 4, get up really early, and return after 9pm.

S
stevecoda is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stevecoda View Post
Yes, total nightmare - we just returned yesterday and honestly, would think twice about a villa anywhere past Champions Gate.

The I4 in the mornings - looking on google maps - are red around champions gate Slip roads and added about 15 mins delay to Disney. Took about an hour and a quarter to get to Universal in the mornings. All Rush hour traffic.

Returning, the I4 is something to try and keep away from. Red, Red and more Red. Took around 2 hours back to the Villa in Balmoral anytime between 4 and 8pm.

You may think that you can take another Route - but most of Orlando thinks that way too, so all roads leading south are Red.

Decided to try cutting across to the 27, then down, but this is slow, plus the 27 has lights, so its stop and go.

Oh, and there are roadworks on the 27.

One unfortunate day, we were on the 429 (or 427), and stopped a few cars away from an overturned people carrier. Turns out that a pickup had slammed into the back of it, killing a 5 year old girl called Scarlett (a twin), her brother 11, and Mum and grandma, coming back from Disney. Scary thing is that we were a few cars behind, with our Daughter, Scarlett and twin Brother, and older brother. Alot of idiot american drivers who drive too close and zip in and out at speed - so be aware of who is also behind you, as more than likely they are looking at their phone.

Ideally, to get a good run up and down the 4, get up really early, and return after 9pm.

S
This has always been a factor for villa selection for us. We now avoid Hwy27 and ChampionsGate area - the extra 15-20 mins a trip adds up (even before you consider traffic issues that you have listed above). I cant see it getting any better either.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
This has always been a factor for villa selection for us. We now avoid Hwy27 and ChampionsGate area - the extra 15-20 mins a trip adds up (even before you consider traffic issues that you have listed above). I cant see it getting any better either.
Not so much of an issue for us these days. We're returning to Highgate Park soon for the 15th time since 2011 but we don't go to the parks now. Apart from MVMCP in 2014 haven't been to a park since 2010.

We're far from being typical Dibbers though but we have noticed some exponential traffic growth in recent years. Old Lake Wilson Road seems to be 100% busier than it was 5 years ago. Although we've driven along Florence Villa Grove Road maybe 200 times usually turning left into Westside we turned right at the school last December. The housing up there has grown fifty fold since we first visited that area.

We often go to Celebration by cutting through Champion's Gate and picking up I-4 at j58. The few miles up to the World Drive exit ramp are always stationary.

Mick
Old 27 Feb 20, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Not so much of an issue for us these days. We're returning to Highgate Park soon for the 15th time since 2011 but we don't go to the parks now. Apart from MVMCP in 2014 haven't been to a park since 2010.

We're far from being typical Dibbers though but we have noticed some exponential traffic growth in recent years. Old Lake Wilson Road seems to be 100% busier than it was 5 years ago. Although we've driven along Florence Villa Grove Road maybe 200 times usually turning left into Westside we turned right at the school last December. The housing up there has grown fifty fold since we first visited that area.

We often go to Celebration by cutting through Champion's Gate and picking up I-4 at j58. The few miles up to the World Drive exit ramp are always stationary.

Mick
I noticed that Mick Last year. New Walmart may have added to that too. We access it via Livingstone Road.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List