Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 2 Mar 20, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gingerviz View Post
Hi all. We are looking at buying DVC this year. Hoping for 150 points a year at AKL which will give us enough for 2 weeks a year. We are looking to buy from Disney direct so we can get the perks... What are they? Do you get discount on tickets? And DDP? Do you still get Magical Express? We are in UK... Thanks.
2 weeks a year?

You are highly unlikely to. If you are basing your calcs on a value studio then be prepared to be disappointed, as they are such good value points wise they are highly sought after.

It would be better to base your budget on a standard studio, which would mean a minimum of 152 points (or stick with 150 and go for 13 nights).

If you don't pick up the studio at AKL you can wait until 7 months and get SSR or OKW (again for 13 nights or 14 nights at OKW for first 3 weeks of Sept)
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
One of the other things you do have to think about, it's a big commitment, taking your buy in £22k or £13k depending on Direct/Resale, either way you are also committing to £900( this year) & every year whether you use your DVC or not. If you also factor in passes & flights plus spending money then you are constantly saving, for us for a 2 week holiday I'd guesstimate £4k including dues, as a starting point, doesn't sound much when written down but that's at least £350 a month & even worse if you have to finance the buy in.
But if we didn't own we also wouldn't stay onsite, 2 weeks at AKL is currently £5k! I'd go back offsite & spend considerably less
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 05:39 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
One of the other things you do have to think about, it's a big commitment, taking your buy in £22k or £13k depending on Direct/Resale, either way you are also committing to £900( this year) & every year whether you use your DVC or not. If you also factor in passes & flights plus spending money then you are constantly saving, for us for a 2 week holiday I'd guesstimate £4k including dues, as a starting point, doesn't sound much when written down but that's at least £350 a month & even worse if you have to finance the buy in.
But if we didn't own we also wouldn't stay onsite, 2 weeks at AKL is currently £5k! I'd go back offsite & spend considerably less
SD
I was looking at some investments yesterday and Mrs YT said how much we had spent on DVC this last 5 years and it was more than she had realised . But she did say how much she liked it when there. I said we wouldn’t have been staying in a 1 bed at Beach Club and Bay Lake over Xmas as we wouldn’t have paid the silly sums for that accommodation. So DVC doesn’t save you money, it costs you money, but it means you will have holidays you perhaps would not have, and there’s always another trip on the horizon.
Old 3 Mar 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I was looking at some investments yesterday and Mrs YT said how much we had spent on DVC this last 5 years and it was more than she had realised . But she did say how much she liked it when there. I said we wouldn’t have been staying in a 1 bed at Beach Club and Bay Lake over Xmas as we wouldn’t have paid the silly sums for that accommodation. So DVC doesn’t save you money, it costs you money, but it means you will have holidays you perhaps would not have, and there’s always another trip on the horizon.
I remember our first stay on-site at POR. We visited the BC/YC area and we pressed our noses against the windows of the Yachtsman Steakhouse. We never ever thought we would be able to eat there, stay there.
15 years on we have visited so many times and have so many wonderful memories.
Only possible with DVC.

Edited at 09:50 PM.
Feebee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gingerviz
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
2 weeks a year?

You are highly unlikely to. If you are basing your calcs on a value studio then be prepared to be disappointed, as they are such good value points wise they are highly sought after.

It would be better to base your budget on a standard studio, which would mean a minimum of 152 points (or stick with 150 and go for 13 nights).

If you don't pick up the studio at AKL you can wait until 7 months and get SSR or OKW (again for 13 nights or 14 nights at OKW for first 3 weeks of Sept)
2 weeks every other year... Need to do some more research. Thanks all for responses.
Gingerviz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
You will need to pay for the dining plan and you will also not benefit from any gift card new bookings get (upto $300). If you purchase annual passes you will also not get the free photo pass.

Personally, I would wait until sterling recovers against the dollar before purchasing. But that’s just me being tight😀
You do get memory maker with Gold APs. Well we certainly do...

As to perks its subjective, they can and do change. Some think they are worth it others not so. Buying resale does come with restrictions which some don't like and could restrict any potential resale of your points you may need to do later.

If you are planning on keeping your points for the long term you may find the perks out way any short term savings of buying resale over direct but it does depend on the price you pay and for how long the contract is for. I wouldn't rule out direct purchase if it suits you.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
You do get memory maker with Gold APs. Well we certainly do...

As to perks its subjective, they can and do change. Some think they are worth it others not so. Buying resale does come with restrictions which some don't like and could restrict any potential resale of your points you may need to do later.

If you are planning on keeping your points for the long term you may find the perks out way any short term savings of buying resale over direct but it does depend on the price you pay and for how long the contract is for. I wouldn't rule out direct purchase if it suits you.
Not sure what you mean about the restricting a future resale of your points if you buy resale points unless I have misunderstood?

If you buy resale it makes zero difference to restricting any potential resale. Buying direct just makes it that you lose more when you sell. Whether you buy direct or resale- the points are identical when you sell them on.

I think the perks only have the potential of outweighing the savings IF you buy APs most years and IF they keep offering that discount. Otherwise you will struggle to get the huge price difference (in OPs case) of circa $100 v $175 on buy in.

If you want Riviera buy direct now until plenty of resale contracts hit the market; if then you could live with just Riviera it will probably be about $110 a point.

Edited at 09:37 AM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
cityblueboy
VIP Dibber

cityblueboy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Late to the party here but like others on here I've been a member since 1996. With a bit of a discount on the price buying direct and the exchange rate it cost me around £12k for over 350 points. Have we had good use of it? Absolutely. Have we loved it?Yes. Was it good value for money?Definitely. Would we buy more points now direct? No way.
Resale is the only way to go.
cityblueboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 20, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
JasonErpelding
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by cityblueboy View Post
Would we buy more points now direct? No way.
Resale is the only way to go.
I love it!

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
Buy and Sell DVC, Inc.®
Old 4 Mar 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
OP one very important thing to know/remember, Disney do not buy your contract back off of you if you decide to sell up so in effect your "Direct" contract is the exact same as every other Resale contract. Disney do buy Resale contract & then inflate the price to sell them Direct again, any older/sold out Resort, this is exactly what they have done.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List