Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Mar 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
My fave bands are The Fallen state, The cruel knives and uproar.
Could you do a playlist with that type of music?
i dont know any of those bands, so i'm probably not the best person to put a playlist together... why dont you do one, and share it with the rest of us?

my (monthly) playlists is about as eclectic as you can get, so there should be a few tracks that you should like, unless youre the sort of person who only ever listen to one genre of music (and that genre is something i dont listen to!)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
richard X version of "fade into you" where he turned it into a duet with jarvis cocker? love it...
That's fab.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

anyone else had a chance to listen to any of them?
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

from this months playlist, i want to highlight a couple of tracks today

uh huh by escondido.

escondido are from nashville, and have some real mazzy star/jenny lewis type vibes to them. this one came on the car stereo just as i was getting into the car park at work, and it's been an earworm all morning so far!

secondly, memphis by KITTEN

kitten are my current obsession. only discovered them in the last few weeks, and are my new favourite band. memphis is one of their newer songs, and features a well placed modem handshake!

their older stuff (first album) sounds like the 80's. think siousxie and the cocteau twins meet the more upbeat all about eve stuff.

i'd suggest listening to "goodbye honeymoon phase" (their latest EP, which includes memphis) and then going backwards. the new stuff has a sort of veronicas/avril lavigne/rocky kelly clarkson kinda vibe to them. which is possibly my favourite kind of music, so any new stuff that sounds like that is a guaranteed obsession for me

chloe from kitten is also in NASTY CHERRY. the pop-rock girl band put together by Charli XCX for the recent netflix show

Edited at 12:15 PM.
Old 13 Mar 20, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

today i have mostly been listening to THE LICKERISH QUARTET over and over and over. i can't even begin to describe how happy this makes me.

basically, there used to be a band back in the early 90's called JELLYFISH. they produced two perfect albums then split up. the members have all done various other things since, but this is the first time that three of the four members have got together like this (andy sturmer, the drummer/singer isnt a part of this)

if you like retro pop, you'll love this. it's got some serious 70's ELO type vibes, which is kinda what jellyfish were also doing. so yeah, if you like this, check out jellyfish too.

what band begins their career with a six and a half minute prog rock epic? yup, its these guys

full article about them here:
progreport/the-lickerish...reesome-vol-1/

any other big jellyfish fans on here?

*edit*
heres jellyfish on jools holland from back in the day

Edited at 07:19 PM.
Old 13 Mar 20, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Pieces
Imagineer

Pieces's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

as there isnt really a place to discuss music on here apart from the odd random thread, i figured i'd start something going...

for the last couple of years, since i stopped DJing at my residency at the rescue rooms in nottingham, i've been producing a monthly playlist on spotify.

around 40 tracks that i've been listening to recently. an eclectic mix of classics, old and new stuff. the aim is for you to listen and find at least a couple of new favourite bands every month.

stick it on random, and if you really don't like a track, just skip to the next one, chances are it'll be something completely different.

anyway, here is my MARCH playlist

open.spotify/playlist/4u...oBwjJBKhQJ9opb

featuring Kitten (my new favourite band), bobby conn, mint royale, llwybr llaethog, laura marling, nightmares on wax, the velvet underground, waxahatchee, poppy, the avalanches, south rakkas crew, lemon jelly, mazzy star, MF Doom, yo la tengo, weezer, frou frou, mazzy star and sigur ros plus many many more!

would be interested to hear peoples thoughts, and what songs you particularly loved that you've never come across before.
We have similar taste!
I often frequent the Rescue Rooms for gigs. Kitten are great, have you checked out Nasty Cherry?
I was going to see Poppy tomorrow but her tour has been cancelled unfortunately.
I’ve seen Waxahatchee live quite a few times too.
Old 15 Mar 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pieces View Post
We have similar taste!
I often frequent the Rescue Rooms for gigs. Kitten are great, have you checked out Nasty Cherry?
I was going to see Poppy tomorrow but her tour has been cancelled unfortunately.
I’ve seen Waxahatchee live quite a few times too.
i was a resident DJ at the rescue rooms for nearly 15 years

only discovered nasty cherry (and the tv show with charli xcx) recently. turns out they played birmingham a couple of days after i found out about them, but they are hopefully back this summer (doing the thekla and a few other dates so hopefully will play again somewhere a bit more local)

i too was supposed to be at the poppy gig. absolutely gutted it got cancelled. hoping louise and frank turner next week are still on though

not had the chance to see waxahatchee live yet, but absolutely love them. on a similar tip, do you like charly bliss?

Old 15 Mar 20, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Pieces
Imagineer

Pieces's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

i was a resident DJ at the rescue rooms for nearly 15 years

only discovered nasty cherry (and the tv show with charli xcx) recently. turns out they played birmingham a couple of days after i found out about them, but they are hopefully back this summer (doing the thekla and a few other dates so hopefully will play again somewhere a bit more local)

i too was supposed to be at the poppy gig. absolutely gutted it got cancelled. hoping louise and frank turner next week are still on though

not had the chance to see waxahatchee live yet, but absolutely love them. on a similar tip, do you like charly bliss?

I like this! Thank you.

I saw Nasty Cherry in Birmingham, they were awesome. So much energy and the audience were equally great.
Hope your gigs are still on!
Hoping Poppy will come back over later in the year.
Old 20 Mar 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i've done a POPBANGERS playlist. some of the greatest modern pop tunes from recent times

taylor swift, dragonette, georgia, chvrches, betty who, beyonce, jamelia, hailey steinfeld, charly bliss and loads more. i'm adding stuff to it regularly too, so keep checking back!

open.spotify/playlist/44...0asVGuXnchGVg6

Old 30 Mar 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

the last few days i have mostly been listening to the new WAXAHATCHEE album. i know its only been a couple of days, but this is a strong contender for album of the year already...

open.spotify/album/04HMMwLmjkftjWy7xc6Bho

its beautiful. go have a listen! if you like laid back country-tinged female indie-pop, this is for you! reminds me in some ways of natalie merchant/10000 maniacs

Edited at 11:34 AM.