Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 11 Mar 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Jack Daniel's
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Buying direct makes no difference.

Personally I believe if they shut WDW they may not make any exceptions on the points- there would be too many carrier over etc- would potentially cripple the system.
This would maybe work for locals or those who go annually or many times a year & are very flexible,
We plan our vacations over a year in advance, we last went 6 years ago now, but have a booking in 6 weeks time, we cant just hope we can book from a holding account in that short timeframe, that wouldn't work for us crossing the atlantic.

I would much rather get the points back & bank them for another year & yes, there will be a glut in the system where there are more points than availability but people plan & change there trips accordingly, there are still resorts surely that are not sold out or disney are buying back contracts which makes points available,.
2013 Aulani / Disneyland Hotel
2010/13/16/17/18/19 DLRP
2009 POR 2008 POR
2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
2004 Orlando International Resort Int` Drive
1994 Holiday Inn Int` Drive
1993 Comfort Inn 1992 Continental Plaza
1991 Howard Johnston 1990 Holiday Inn Int` Drive
Jack Daniel's is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

I’ve just rung member services to clarify their current situation. We are 35 days out with borrowed points from a December 2020 use year. She said I could cancel today and have my points put into their original year or wait and if things change it was likely our points would be put back then to where they came from if we couldn’t travel due to cancel flights/ Coronavirus. Feel a bit more reassured that we won’t lose all our points now. Just going to wait and see what happens now.
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by saratogajan View Post
I’ve just rung member services to clarify their current situation. We are 35 days out with borrowed points from a December 2020 use year. She said I could cancel today and have my points put into their original year or wait and if things change it was likely our points would be put back then to where they came from if we couldn’t travel due to cancel flights/ Coronavirus. Feel a bit more reassured that we won’t lose all our points now. Just going to wait and see what happens now.
Well done for checking. Hope it pans out ok for you.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
tigger48
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We should be there over Easter but the way things are going I really don’t see that happening. Since some of the DVC points used for the partial Disney stay were banked in on our new resale contract, I think we’ll just end up losing them. I’d be interested to know though if there is any mileage in the RCI option. If FCO ban flights then at least we should be able to recover the flight costs from insurance, and maybe the situation will be different by the time August rolls around for our next attempt (crosses fingers and hopes hard).
That said it’s an awful situation for everyone and if we lose a holiday that’s nothing compared to those who are losing their life/loved ones. Most important thing is to stay safe.
tigger48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tigger48 View Post
We should be there over Easter but the way things are going I really don’t see that happening. Since some of the DVC points used for the partial Disney stay were banked in on our new resale contract, I think we’ll just end up losing them. I’d be interested to know though if there is any mileage in the RCI option. If FCO ban flights then at least we should be able to recover the flight costs from insurance, and maybe the situation will be different by the time August rolls around for our next attempt (crosses fingers and hopes hard).
That said it’s an awful situation for everyone and if we lose a holiday that’s nothing compared to those who are losing their life/loved ones. Most important thing is to stay safe.
You may be able to claim the dues on the points also maybe. I looked at my policy and it isn’t clear. Or get onto DVC Scott or David’s if worse comes to worst and try and rent the booking?
Old 11 Mar 20, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

You have managed to get a bit more information than I did.
WE still can't afford to loose the flight price even though I believe Virgin have changed their policy.
To change to September flights theyare double the cost and very little DVC accommodation available
Old 11 Mar 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Anybody have any idea what would happen with those that have rented points from members?

We’ve got 7 days in May and 2x 7 days in August all through David’s.

We have travel insurance and I remember checking last year that we were covered for these kind of bookings. But what happens if the owner of the points gets the points back? Would we then not be covered?
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sara_toga View Post
You have managed to get a bit more information than I did.
WE still can't afford to loose the flight price even though I believe Virgin have changed their policy.
To change to September flights theyare double the cost and very little DVC accommodation available
We’re just the same as you. Vowed I wouldn’t go in September again as we were there for Irma! Hardly any October or November availability either.
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
Anybody have any idea what would happen with those that have rented points from members?

We’ve got 7 days in May and 2x 7 days in August all through David’s.

We have travel insurance and I remember checking last year that we were covered for these kind of bookings. But what happens if the owner of the points gets the points back? Would we then not be covered?
The cover would be for the loss to you. You may find David’s gave you your money back if the owner gets the points and banks, but suppose they may not or owner may refuse. At that point if you are covered on insurance it should pay as it’s you who has lost the money.
Old 12 Mar 20, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We’re just the same as you. Vowed I wouldn’t go in September again as we were there for Irma! Hardly any October or November availability either.
We were also there for Irma!

Seems nothing in comparison to this !