Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Mar 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Hi Lynda

Not long to go now. How exciting!

Check out The Tangerine in Burbank. It was recommended to us on here. Nice area, parking is free, breakfast pastries included in the price and Warner Brothers studio tour is in walking distance. Think it took us just over 5 minutes. Griffiths Observatory and the pub Walt Disney used to go to (The Tam O'Shanter) are a short drive away. Photos in trip report and on IG if that helps.

Agree with others, leave plenty of time to get to the airport! LA traffic is something else.

Melissa x
Thanks for the info Melissa. I've had a read of the LA days of your trippie - you crammed loads into your time there! Also had a look at The Tangerine as possible accommodation and it looks good and as close to budget as I can expect in LA. I found another hotel, the Safari Inn, just up the road and a bit closer to more restaurants etc., so Burbank is looking like a real possibility. It means a longer drive to the airport next day, but we have the whole morning to get there so shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the suggested activities too - some good options there.

Originally Posted by red cuillen View Post
How about stopping off in Burbank, see the walk of fame, do Griffiths Park Obs and Walts carousel, (only operates at weekends - it was shuttered when we last went! ).
Nice enough hotels around Burbank and Glendale and a tad cheaper. Good restaurants in Burbank Town Centre.

Warner Bros tour will take about 3 hours so look at their website to see if it interests you.
Drive to SM in the early morning, quick walk up to the route 66 sign on the pier then dash to the airport, only thing is it'll be really quiet first thing so not the same atmosphere as an evening walk. We stayed a few blocks back at the doubletree suites which was amongst the cheapest mainstream hotel in the area but they have a golf buggy shuttle to the pier where we ate at Bubba Gumps!
Plenty of trip reports to browse if you have a spare few hours, (use the index page, the main page is so cluttered with day by day reports)
I'd want to drop off the car by 11 at the latest. Check out google maps around the time you'll be there and look at all the pretty (dark red) colours!
I hadn't thought about doing it the other way around and leaving Santa Monica until we're on the way to the airport. That would give us an extra hour or 2 for exploring the day before. Definitely food for thought... thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
we have 48 hours in LA next month (assuming it doesnt all get cancelled) so watching this thread carefully

i was looking at going to a TV show taping (in particular, lights out with david spade or tosh.0) but they arent filming while we're there, and as we are there friday/saturday, there isnt much else of interest. so. i'm thinking of going to venice beach and finding a good dispensary, then seeing what happens

cc/lightsouttickets (link takes you to a site where theres a bunch of other shows)

also, dearlydepartedtours was another possible option, but im not sure we will have time
It's a shame you can't see the show taping that you were after on your visit, hopefully something that suits you will come up. I can't say I've heard good things about Venice Beach - would Santa Monica be an option for you? It's quite difficult to get a firm itinerary in place when time is short, I'm finding.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

We stayed at The Tangerine and visited Paramount Studios on the way to the airport. The Studios tour is 2 hours and it was on the way to the airport. You would probably have time for the 9am tour and be at the airport for midday.

We parked at The Tangerine and got an Uber to the Hollywood and Highland Center to see the Walk of Fame and Chinese Theatre. I like LA but that part of LA isn’t my favourite and I think only needs an hour or so, just so you can say you’ve seen it and taken a few photos of the stars.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
We stayed at The Tangerine and visited Paramount Studios on the way to the airport. The Studios tour is 2 hours and it was on the way to the airport. You would probably have time for the 9am tour and be at the airport for midday.

We parked at The Tangerine and got an Uber to the Hollywood and Highland Center to see the Walk of Fame and Chinese Theatre. I like LA but that part of LA isn’t my favourite and I think only needs an hour or so, just so you can say you’ve seen it and taken a few photos of the stars.
Another vote for The Tangerine! It's starting to look more and more like a good option. Honestly, I think I've been put off doing anything on the way to the airport with all of the tales of horrendous traffic and nightmare airport. But definitely happy to do a studio tour the day we arrive. I've had a look at a few different ones, and Paramount looks a good one. We're not fussed about hanging around Hollywood for a long time... as you say, take a few pics to say we've been there!

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List