Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Mar 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Abit weird but I had a refund to my bank and no email but when I checked the BA app the flight had been cancelled off, we were due to fly out to dlp weds 1st.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Neil & Stella
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by ingvar View Post
Can I ask when in May you were going and when they cancelled your holiday? We're due to go on 23rd May on a flydrive and a voucher is useless to us also. I feel I'm going to have to pay in full, mid April, then wait on BA to cancel. I've already managed to cancel our theme park tickets and Dibb villa, with no issues

We were due to go on the 2nd. We went on the BA site and there is somewhere to claim a voucher, but thet say not call unless you're travelling in the next 72 hours.

I'll give them a call this week sometime and get the money back. Hopefully.

As you're 3 weeks later I would imagine that you'll hear something in a fortnight or so.

Edited at 08:06 AM.
Neil & Stella is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
ingvar
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by Neil & Stella View Post
We were due to go on the 2nd. We went on the BA site and there is somewhere to claim a voucher, but thet say not call unless you're travelling in the next 72 hours.

I'll give them a call this week sometime and get the money back. Hopefully.

As you're 3 weeks later I would imagine that you'll hear something in a fortnight or so.
Thank you
Old 31 Mar 20, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
ashchall95
Helping Mickey

ashchall95's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We had a package holiday booked with them. I rang them 2 days ago and got a full refund for everything with no problems, they were really good!
ashchall95 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPete
Very Serious Dibber

Can I just clarify what is the advantage in taking a voucher over a refund? I accept that if your flight has not yet been cancelled then a voucher might seem attractive. However on both accounts I would wait for a cancellation and refund as you can only use the voucher in a set time period and as part payment - cash offers far more flexibility and the ability to find cheaper alternatives with other carriers.
So not sure why people would take a voucher ( which I would only take if the carrier guaranteed me a like for like flight for the set price of the voucher - which they don't)
DisneyPete is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyPete View Post
Can I just clarify what is the advantage in taking a voucher over a refund? I accept that if your flight has not yet been cancelled then a voucher might seem attractive. However on both accounts I would wait for a cancellation and refund as you can only use the voucher in a set time period and as part payment - cash offers far more flexibility and the ability to find cheaper alternatives with other carriers.
So not sure why people would take a voucher ( which I would only take if the carrier guaranteed me a like for like flight for the set price of the voucher - which they don't)
There isn't an advantage per se to vouchers with BA. However, if your flight operates, there is no legal right to a refund, and in the current environment the chances of non-obligatory refunds being made are low. For this scenario, a voucher may be preferable to trying to make an insurance claim, which may or may not get paid out.

I applied for a voucher when cancelling a flight which operated a couple of weeks ago, still waiting for it to arrive.

If your flight is cancelled, I would agree it's better to take the refund, but airlines, operators etc are increasingly not issuing them as easily / quickly as normal anyway, every business is trying to hold onto cash short term, even if they intend to refund in the end.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

cancelled last mon got an email from ba(u don’t actually get a physical voucher) last weds saying that they had cancelled my original holiday and have in form of a voucher the value of the original holiday , I could go on there website book a new holiday either pay deposit or whole lot and then email them back with new booking reference and they would refund my payment card the amount and any increase in price I need to pay or any decrease meaning there’s moment left over I could then use to pay towards another holiday, again in form of a “voucher”
I sent the email to BA with my new booking reference on fri night and today I have had reply saying that they gave processed the voucher and my card will he refunded and it will take 7 days to update on BA.com
Was very happy with the prompt service at BA
Am I reading this right s9 if you have a voucher , if you rebook you have to do it at your own expense , and then wait for ba to refund once you contact them ?
Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Peko View Post
There isn't an advantage per se to vouchers with BA. However, if your flight operates, there is no legal right to a refund, and in the current environment the chances of non-obligatory refunds being made are low. For this scenario, a voucher may be preferable to trying to make an insurance claim, which may or may not get paid out.

I applied for a voucher when cancelling a flight which operated a couple of weeks ago, still waiting for it to arrive.

If your flight is cancelled, I would agree it's better to take the refund, but airlines, operators etc are increasingly not issuing them as easily / quickly as normal anyway, every business is trying to hold onto cash short term, even if they intend to refund in the end.
ABTA are trying to hide the fact you can get a refund in the way information is being handed out. They are also trying to get the government to change the rules around refunds. So far with not much sucess. I honestly feel their pain and some companies may not survive this. However a voucher for a company which may not exist in 6 months is just a piece of paper.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
nth09
Apprentice Imagineer

nth09's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
ABTA are trying to hide the fact you can get a refund in the way information is being handed out. They are also trying to get the government to change the rules around refunds. So far with not much sucess. I honestly feel their pain and some companies may not survive this. However a voucher for a company which may not exist in 6 months is just a piece of paper.
The last bit here is key. If you accept a voucher your insurance company will not be interested at a later date should the company airline go bust. You accepted settlement in the form of the voucher. The only way the voucher would be really safe would be if government(s) wanted to back this scheme and took upon themselves to underwrite the vouchers. Don't see that happening any time soon.
nth09 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
starwarsclark
Excited about Disney

We are in the situation where our Easter break to Boston is obviously not going to happen but BA has cancelled the return Boston to Heathrow flight but left the Heathrow to Boston flight available. We are being offered the voucher but no idea if we would even use it, I would have thought we could get a refund as we cannot get home even if we could fly out - any thoughts please>
starwarsclark is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List