Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Mar 20, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Virgin Atlantic refund is pending...

So Virgin have 'issued' a full refund for our cancelled flights, but have advised that it may take them up to 90 days to process and actually pay.
What happens if in the meantime they go bust? We've paid with a credit card, but our flight was cancelled due to coronavirus, not due to them going bust so would we still be protected under S. 75?

We also have travel disruption cover, but I'm starting to imagine all different scenarios, and wondering whether we could end up as just creditors and see nothing back? I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Edited at 01:35 PM.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

"Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, the credit card company is jointly and severally liable for any breach of contract or misrepresentation by the retailer or trader."

It's not just cover for firms going bust, it's for any circumstances where you pay and do not receive the goods or services.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Gipsy 4
slightly serious Dibber

Gipsy 4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We’re still waiting for our New York flight in 2 weeks to be cancelled! Presumably Section 75 would kick in they go bust. That’s what I’m hoping. Good luck.
Gipsy 4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

That's promising, thank you. I don't know why I didn't think to look up the clause myself

(Edit: I suppose what troubled me is that we would no longer be owed a product or a service as a consumer, but just a sum of money - and I wondered whether that just left us a creditor, stripped of the protection.)

Edited at 03:14 PM.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Their site is now saying 100 days for a refund.
Our flight isnt until July.
I have made the mistake of paying by American Express so I dont believe I have the Section 75 protection, but my travel insurance does cover airline failure.
But seemingly AmEx have a scheme called ChargeBack where you can claim within 120 days.
I also think my AmEx Gold may have some insurance that I need to look into. No idea yet if it is relevant to VS if they go bust and I dont receive a refund.

Edited at 02:28 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Their site is now saying 100 days for a refund.
Our flight isnt until July.
I have made the mistake of paying by American Express so I dont believe I have the Section 75 protection, but my travel insurance does cover airline failure.
But seemingly AmEx have a scheme called ChargeBack where you can claim within 120 days.
I also think my AmEx Gold may have some insurance that I need to look into. No idea yet if it is relevant to VS if they go bust and I dont receive a refund.
I would be thanking the stars you did pay via Amex, they look after their customers better than anyone.

You will have no issues.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Gipsy 4
slightly serious Dibber

Gipsy 4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gipsy 4 View Post
We’re still waiting for our New York flight in 2 weeks to be cancelled! Presumably Section 75 would kick in they go bust. That’s what I’m hoping. Good luck.
Just looked and our flights have just disappeared from the schedule. We also paid for seats in the bubble both ways.
Gipsy 4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

What date were you due to fly Lily?
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by saratogajan View Post
What date were you due to fly Lily?
Tomorrow 29/3
Old 28 Mar 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by captain-codeye View Post
I would be thanking the stars you did pay via Amex, they look after their customers better than anyone.

You will have no issues.
Good to know. Thank you for the positive post.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List