Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 31 Mar 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by wifey View Post
The rooms in French Quarter were not dark when we stayed in a garden view room back in 2009, it was lovely and bright. I would imagine the Alligator Bayou rooms may be darker than others up at Riverside though🥰
Thanks. I'll take a look but resort-wise I'm more drawn to POR than POFQ. I know many prefer FQ for its compact size, but I don't mind a bigger resort and the grounds at POR look stunning.

Originally Posted by poppin View Post
Oh my this thread has took me straight back. We have always stayed here, in Mansions, bayou and French side. Rooms are dark but the grounds are amazing. Dreaming of that feeling going back to your room after a day at the park with a drink and snack in hand. 😀
Nice to take a trip, if only down memory lane... Google has been Kindly reminding me where we were this time last year (first day, rope drop at MK). Seems more like a lifetime ago than a year ago given the events of the last few weeks.

Originally Posted by travelbug0456 View Post
I have been lucky enough to stay in all disney resorts in Florida including villas and Riverside is still my favourite. Resorts like Polynesian, Yacht Club etc have extra facilities maybe but Riverside just has such a relaxed feel with beautiful grounds and lovely staff. The Bayou rooms are a bit darker but their proximity to main facilities is so worth the tradeoff of being a bit darker. We are never in the rooms long anyway. Its a cliche but in over 25 years of staying at WDW resorts,staying at Riverside always feels "like coming home" you will love it. We are at YC this november as had to move our June res due to virus worries and couldnt get Riverside but we are back at Riverside twice next year and can't wait.
Thank, that sounds lovely. I'm so torn; I love the look of the resort and the grounds but still no convinced on the rooms. The rooms at CSR were also a little dark, but I think the modern refurbishment 'lifted' it for us and gave the room a lighter feel. We can't afford deluxe at Disney prices, so it's either one of the moderates or perhaps the Swan. All, of course, depending on life returning to some kind of normal.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
AP1991
Earning More Ears

I stayed at POR for 2 weeks in January this year. Absolutely loved the resort it is gorgeous, We requested a corner room so that it had 2 windows and there was no issues with it being dark whatsoever.

If it wasn't for the fact I want to try as many resorts as possible - I would definitely go back!
AP1991 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Sukey
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
It looks like there's a door to the shower/toilet, but only a curtain to the vanity area
We stayed at POR last year in a refurbished room in Alligator Bayou. There is a proper door into the bath, shower and toilet. There is just a curtain to separate the basins from the main room. This didn’t bother us as we were only brushing our teeth and washing hands there. It was our first time at Disney so I can’t compare it to anywhere else but I loved the resort and would love to go back. Didn’t find the room dark but we weren’t in it that much.
Sukey is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by AP1991 View Post
I stayed at POR for 2 weeks in January this year. Absolutely loved the resort it is gorgeous, We requested a corner room so that it had 2 windows and there was no issues with it being dark whatsoever.

If it wasn't for the fact I want to try as many resorts as possible - I would definitely go back!
Thanks. A corner room anywhere is such a lovely bonus, and I can imagine brought in lots of light. We never go anywhere twice, but were going to make an exception for CSR (having loved it so much last year). However, now we've cancelled our trip due to the virus, I feel we must go elsewhere

Originally Posted by Sukey View Post
We stayed at POR last year in a refurbished room in Alligator Bayou. There is a proper door into the bath, shower and toilet. There is just a curtain to separate the basins from the main room. This didn’t bother us as we were only brushing our teeth and washing hands there. It was our first time at Disney so I can’t compare it to anywhere else but I loved the resort and would love to go back. Didn’t find the room dark but we weren’t in it that much.
Thanks, that's good to know from someone who stayed in a refurbished room. I suppose it wouldn't be too much of any issue for us but looked kind of odd to me (not a very finished look is it?). Also true that we don't spend all that much time in our room.

Edited at 02:08 PM.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I found the masks at FQ really freaked me out

(No really they did and Yet I love New Orleans).

Personally love the theme at Port Orleans Riverside and would choose there every time despite the size making it harder to get a well located room at POFQ.
Old 1 Apr 20, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I found the masks at FQ really freaked me out

(No really they did and Yet I love New Orleans).

Personally love the theme at Port Orleans Riverside and would choose there every time despite the size making it harder to get a well located room at POFQ.
That's funny. Perhaps a bit like that clown swimming pool in the Boardwalk(?) if you're clown-phobic (not sure what the actual term is). Not a huge fan of masks myself - my mum had an odd collection of masks from her travels that was enough to give anyone bad dreams

We had a quick walk through POFQ (took the boat to Disney springs) and I have to admit I didn't love it. I know many love it for its compact size, but it's not such a massive issue for us (2 adults and a 10 year old). I much prefer the look of POR. The grounds look beautiful and the theming really exquisite.

I'm still weighing up POR against the Swan. I suppose I'll have to wait and see what offers come up for next year, if any, and hope that air travel becomes a thing again soon
Old 1 Apr 20, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
That's funny. Perhaps a bit like that clown swimming pool in the Boardwalk(?) if you're clown-phobic (not sure what the actual term is). Not a huge fan of masks myself - my mum had an odd collection of masks from her travels that was enough to give anyone bad dreams

We had a quick walk through POFQ (took the boat to Disney springs) and I have to admit I didn't love it. I know many love it for its compact size, but it's not such a massive issue for us (2 adults and a 10 year old). I much prefer the look of POR. The grounds look beautiful and the theming really exquisite.

I'm still weighing up POR against the Swan. I suppose I'll have to wait and see what offers come up for next year, if any, and hope that air travel becomes a thing again soon
I also intensely dislike that clown!