Notices

View Poll Results: How much extra will you pay to go to Florida?
I won't pay any more 76 39.79%
I will pay up to 10% more 51 26.70%
I will pay up to 20% more 29 15.18%
I will pays up to 30% more 4 2.09%
I will pay up to 50% more 1 0.52%
I will pay any amount more if I can afford it 30 15.71%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Mar 20, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mrs_O View Post
My grandfather was a lakers pilot. Never got over what happened to the company.
Yes.
As I remember, BA and other airlines conspired to drive Freddie under. Many years later, they had to pay Freddie a great deal of money.

Then BA got caught again doing similar to Virgin and were fined again around 1993.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 02:09 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
The problem we all have is we have become very used to cheap airfares.
Cost per mile I think I am right in saying that flying is the cheapest form of transport.

Am I the oldest on here to fly to America regularly for holidays?

My first flight was to NY in 1976 and I paid over £360 for a return Econ ticket with BA. That was cheap as well as they had only just introduced ABC fares (Advance Booking Charter) so circa 10% of the plane was holiday makers not business people.
My family used to have US holidays in the late 60s. but I don't remember much about them until we went to Florida when WDW opened when I became more interested. I went back under my own steam in 1979 on a charter which was about £250.

You used to have to get dressed up to fly. It was a real event, not like now.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

I wouldn’t pay anymore to go there, as others have said, there’s more places to visit in the USA. I’m out..
Old 30 Mar 20, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Already 3 million unemployed in one week in America - I would have thought this would dampen the appetite to go on a spending spree once this is over unless they all secure a new job on day one
Key workers however will have been on full pay plus in most cases lots of overtime ... plus those who have worked from home. Whilst for some unemployment will have hit hard financially for others they will have had no time or place to spend disposable income and will feel they have earned a holiday away from the four walls they were stuck in for months.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I know a family who have

cancelled two holidays at no loss
not spending fees on nursery for 2 children
not doing days out, treats lunch out/ coffee
not spending petrol money on a 70 mile a day commute
not spending on cleaner
Possible extra shifts as a doctor

They will certainly have money for a good holiday
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I know a family who have

cancelled two holidays at no loss
not spending fees on nursery for 2 children
not doing days out, treats lunch out/ coffee
not spending petrol money on a 70 mile a day commute
not spending on cleaner

Yes there will be families in that situation however there will also be families , with small businesses, whose income has dried up overnight. Also those who cannot work because of current situation.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
But not a typical family though. If they were, we wouldn’t be discussing a worldwide recession including the U.K. and US.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Yes there will be families in that situation however there will also be families , with small businesses, whose income has dried up overnight. Also those who cannot work because of current situation.
Yes I agree, sadly this will not be economically equal.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
But not a typical family though. If they were, we wouldn’t be discussing a worldwide recession including the U.K. and US.
What is a typical family?
Old 30 Mar 20, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I think there are four things to consider on this interesting thread, with the question being how much more would you be prepared to pay.

1. Yes some people will be hit very hard indeed by the events unfolding. The self employed, those who cannot now work etc. It may well be that for some the question is irrelevant at this time and until they can re- establish an income, yet alone a disposable one.

2. Others will as said, have gained from this through overtime.. or at least broken even as they are key workers.

3. Many will be in receipt of decent pensions, often as a top up to further employment income. They may be unaffected.

4. Some have their 2020 vacation money back in, or in the process of coming in to their bank accounts . They may thus have their 2020 money and their 2021 money also, come the time when they can spend.

I am fortunate on numbers 2,3 and 4. And I am not in any way being smug. Good people have been hard hit through absolutely no fault of their own.

Back to the question... regardless of any factor relating to money in my bank account, I believe the current prices for a direct travel Orlando vacation as too high and therefore I have no intention of going at 2020 prices, yet alone at a premium.
Everything has a value and I no longer feel that an Orlando vacation, theme park based, in School hols, Direct flights, etc represents value.
There are plenty of imho, better value USA alternatives and for us, that is where we will in future spend our money. Also, the overcrowding has killed it for me.

If I had a million pounds and a Big Mac meal cost £12 (I like Big Mac meals), then I would not buy one.. I can afford to drink in Costa and Starbucks, but do not.. because I do not think the coffee represents value for money, therefore I will not enter the premis.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 05:44 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List