Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Sep 22, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Wow.
12 months since the last update .

So what’s happened . Well some of this you may have read on other posts I have made .

So this time last year ,Emma was looking forward to going to Uni to do primary school teaching degree. Well as anticipated she found it tough- socially the other students were predominantly much more outgoing than her, and enjoying the Uni on-site experience and partying with covid restrictions being lifted.
She did find one good friend on the course so that helped.

It didn’t help with her referred to occupational health to see if she was ok to even carry on the course with her anxiety . They were there to help supposedly but all it did was lower her feeling of belonging .
The Uni didn’t help much either , claiming they had found a previous student was not happy about being approached about occupational health being involved , so they did nothing ! When the idea was that stuff was put in place to help her. Waste of time.

She stuck by it . The big test was the 8 week placement. She agonised about quitting many times, but eventually stuck through it , got glowing praise from the school , and completed the year.

But she has decided that being a teacher with all the stresses that the job entails isn’t something she can feel she can aspire to - it just isn’t worth the stress. So she has put her course on hold for a year .

She is going to use that next 12 months to carry on working at M&S and try to gain school experience in voluntary teaching assistant roles . She may take a course too. I think that , while she would be good as a teacher , I think the less stressful role of a teaching assistant may be more suited to her.
In 12 months, she can decide the future .

In the last 12 months she had also been diagnosed with autism . Well technically we haven’t seen the final report - only about 4 or 5 months since the draft report. Crikey the system is inefficient.

Anyway her ‘ old ‘ therapy sessions have ended - she is due to get 10 more from the autism centre but I’m not holding my breath. I do think her anxiety has worsened since her last sessions so we need to keep a close eye on her . Hoping we can stave off a bad spell as can feel it coming on.

Thanks for being there on this journey with us - can’t quite believe she was 24 last week - she got mistaken for a 14 year old on holiday !
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 22, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Thanks for the update. I do read these posts with genuine interest and care 💞

It sounds like she's been amazing, and a real trouper this year. But can't help but think the same; that maybe teaching assistant would be more suited to her xx

Shame about the Uni being a bit rubbish too.

Good luck to her this year. Hope that M&S goes well for her... xx
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 22, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
hipthehippo
Imagineer

Uni isn't for everyone. DD struggled hugely with being away from home and not getting good support from Occ Health and left after a year, spent some time trying to decide what she wanted to do and ended up starting a history degree through OU. She struggles hugely with anxiety as well and end of year exams in June produced a real doozy of a panic attack. 3 hrs of hyperventilating, crying, rocking and trying to scratch her skin off. OU have been incredible with their support, so the point that a request is being made that the exam she should have taken be made into an ESA so that it is available for students who struggle with extreme exam anxiety in the future. There's the possibility that she may be able to take this ESA next year so she doesn't lose a year of study. We have our fingers crossed. So, this new uni year has seen a pivot to an arts and humanities degree with ESAs rather than exams.

Well done to Emma for being strong enough to make the decision to take a step back and re-evaluate. It's not an easy thing to do - I've watched my own DD do it and I have the utmost admiration for both your and my DDs.

Growing old is mandatory, but, growing up is optional
"Live a Life that Matters" - Michael Josephson - RIP Dad 20.07.05
2006, 2007 - Rolling Hills / 2008 - Villa - can't remember! / 2009, 2010 - Sunset Lakes / 2011 - Indian Creek / 2012 - Sunset Lakes / 2013 - Emerald Island / 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023 - Sunset Lakes
hipthehippo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 22, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Thank you for the update and I hope everything goes well. You are in my thoughts.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 22, 02:12 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Thank you for the update. You and your family are often in my thoughts.
Well done to Emma for sticking it out for the first year. Yes maybe teaching assistant is the way to go for her. As always I wish her you and the family well. X
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 22, 02:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the update, it’s all such an uphill struggle dealing with anxiety and never seems to leave you, even in the ‘good’ times as a parent you are always watching out for it.
It’s good she tried Uni, and she may look back at this later as something she is pleased that she tried even if she never returns to it. She sounds a wonderful caring person. Take care you, yourself and family as it very much is a whole family thing. X
Old 23 Sep 22, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyStacey
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

It’s so funny that you should update now - I was only thinking about Emma the other day and wondered how she was getting on!

I think she’s done the right thing for her - persevering to complete the year was a huge achievement, I hope she’s very proud of herself. That must’ve taken an awful lot of resilience.

Great that the school placement gave her glowing praise - I hope it boosted her confidence a bit. It’s a huge shame that the uni and occ health only proved to increase her anxiety rather than try and help her succeed.

I think a teaching assistant role would be much more suited for her - and TAs are invaluable in the classroom for the support they provide. Would the school where she did her placement take her on in a voluntary capacity for a few hours a week?

Will keep my fingers crossed for some additional therapy sessions for her. Anxiety (and the fear of it) can be like living under a dark cloud, must be very difficult for all of you.

Lots of love to you, mrs BB, Emma and your DS, take care x
DisneyStacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 22, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Thanks for sharing BB.

Hopefully this ‘year out’ will give Emma just a chance to ‘breathe’ and take the pressure off 💕

Think of you all often 💕

Best wishes to you all.

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 22, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Thank you for sharing this. It is an amazing achievement for Emma to have got through her 1st year at Uni, especially her placement and hopefully the glowing feedback will give her confidence in whatever she decides to do next.
Honestly reading and following your situation and Emma’s journey over the past few years has given me so much comfort and hope for DS.
Sending lots of love and best wishes to you all xx
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 22, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs sun
Imagineer

Bury boy please tell your daughter she has my absolute dream job! Working in M&S!
Our childrens happiness is the most important thing and uni/degrees aren’t everything! My son has had his issues over the years but got an apprenticeship and is thriving, he never received a diagnosis but it is obvious he is on the spectrum but we will not be revisiting that at all.
Life is precious and as long as our kids are happy we will be too.🥰
Mrs sun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List