Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Feb 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Everyone says Barcelona is no more dangerous than any other city but in my experience it's more rife!
The first time I went was as part of a group from work. We were fully aware of the situation and thought had taken precautions! One girl had her rucksack type bag on the front of one arm and someone ran up behind her and pushed her and grabbed the bag as he did and ran off! This was when we were walking down fron the cable car.
Then later on we were sat in the hotel var which you would expect to be safe and a few of the girls had put their bags on the floor in front of us. I suddenly saw someone at the side of us with one of the girls bags in his hand! Luckily he clocked me and handed it back! Not sure why but must have all been very calm as my manager at the time said I had just given him a dirty look, she hadnt realised what he had done!
For the record in both attempts both men were very smartly dressed Asian men who you certainly wouldnt suspect!
I have been back since and it's a beautiful city!
I second having a bag under clothes is probably the safest!
Las Ramblas is meant to be rife, they catch people as they stop to watch all the street artists.
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Barcelona does have an issue with pickpockets. Usually, as I understand from Spanish newspapers, in airports and bus/train terminals especially when tourists “look” like tourists!

Don’t put anything in your pockets on outside jacket pockets. Be aware in crowded places. Basically use common sense.

Enjoy, Barcelona is a great city
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We had 3 nights in Barcelona - and many days out in London.

To be honest I worry more about everything in London than I do in Barcelona.

You just have to be sensible - no expensive belongings in easy to reach places - ie your back pocket or an open handbag - how often do you see that? I always tell them to shut their bags when I see it!

I just had a cross body bag - kept the bag bit across my front and don't carry too much cash etc.

We use our phones, cameras in both cities without any worry - you just have to be aware of what your doing - ie check your phone while standing still - not wandering along staring at it and being oblivious to everything else.

We absolutely loved Barcelona and would have absolutely no issue with going back.
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
I've got pacsafe and have just got a travelon one too. They are brilliant, both have the anti-slash panels and straps and also both have an RFID pocket. The travelon has a larger RFID pocket so I can fit purse and passports in it.
Out of curiosity which do you prefer and why?

Which size Travelon do you have ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Sadly, we have often considered Barcelona but the constant stories about pickpockets and thefts put us off.

It’s not just the bag, as there are a lot of anti-theft bags available (although they are expensive too) but I like to use my phone for google maps and taking photos so I would be worried about having that out. DD has a reasonably expensive camera which she wears on a neck strap (it’s a pain to have to keep taking it in and out of a bag) which I would be stressing about.

I know people will say, it’s insured which it is of course. But I think it would be upsetting and frightening to have a camera or phone snatched from a neck or hand. I also know this can happen anywhere, we have visited quite a few major cities and enjoy them, but the amount of warnings about Barcelona just deters me from going sadly.

I hope you have a great time, it looks a fantastic city and I really do hope we visit one day. Hopefully when you come back you can tell me how brilliant it was and it will persuade me to go
It's a beautiful city and I am really looking forward to going.

I do tend to be quite travel savvy and I know you are too with all your globetrotting - but I didn't really look into the safety side of things until after I had booked the flights. Dumb. I am going with an 80yo who is not the fastest or best mover so started to dig into locations to stay and that when o started to uncover some of the reports and reviews on different areas.

Have picked carefully and don't advertise wealth or carry cash so hope don't scream target. Am sure all will be well, and to be honest the benefit of seeing the fab architecture and visiting that amazing part of Spain.

But yes, the reports have put me off a bit. Hence the new bag plans.

Don't need much of a push for new bag plans anyway to be honest 😂
Old 22 Feb 20, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
I would never call any bag anti theft. I was mugged in Dublin and the guy had a knife and cut the straps of my backpack. A bag with slash proof wire mesh fabric will not protect you from someone cutting the straps.

The only true way to prevent theft is to wear a bag or money belt under your clothes or coat and not have any sort of bag visible and accessible.
Sorry to hear that. Horrible experience. To be honest with a knife I would give them any bag they wanted.

But I know it does happen that bags can be slit, picked up from chairs and straps cut. The ones I am looking at have metal mesh panels, reinforced steel straps so no cutting, locked zips and a clip so you can lock it to stationary items like tables etc.

I hope I don't need them, and as I say, if they came at me with a knife they could just have it.

It's just that there are lots of reports of "professional" (and I use the term loosely) dippers in Barcelona. I hope that if experienced in that way they will look at my bag and decide nope - and head for an easier mark.

Sounds mean I know, but gotta
be practical and secure for me.
Old 22 Feb 20, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Can i ask...

What makes them anti- theft?

Disney332
Old 22 Feb 20, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Alices Aunt View Post
I suppose it kind of doesn’t matter about the bag if they have a knife and request it.

I know a few people who have been to Barcelona. Only 2 had a problem. One guy went for a wee down a side street when drunk and was mugged and the other had her bags taken out of the car at traffic lights.
The peeing in an alleyway is unlikely to be on my agenda but it is a salutary lesson to keep in populated areas and keep an eye on your belongings even when you think it's safe.

Sounds logical and applicable for anywhere really, but very easy to take your eye off the ball sometimes.
Old 22 Feb 20, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Can i ask...

What makes them anti- theft?

Disney332
They have metal mesh in the material so it cannot be slashed.

Metal in the straps so they can't be cut.

Locking clips so you can attach them to tables and chairs etc.

Locking zips so harder to open quickly and unobtrusively,

RFID pockets so data can't be skimmed remotely.

They are quite good looking too, and practical. But moderately expensive so a bit of an investment if not going to use it a lot.

Normally around 50 or so.
Old 22 Feb 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Picalily View Post
Hi, I have been to Barcelona 3 times and never had a problem or felt unsafe, I feel much more scared in London so very rarely go there.
That's reassuring to hear your experiences of Barcelona.

You are right though about London. Would use the bag there too.