Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 1 Feb 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Charleston looks lovely and sounds like you ate well - yikes on the scary walk and the cyclist near miss though!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Such a shame HHI didn't work out, I've told Jim that it may not be the best place to stay but he's having none of it
I didn't realise you had to pay an entrance fee to go to different parts of the island, that's shocking! Jim definitely wants to play at Sea Pines so we'll have to stump it up.

Your hotel in Charleston looks lovely, your not having much luck with room views though!
Good find on the wine bar. That meat and cheese platter is enormous, did you finish it?

The different style of houses are stunning, no wonder you took so many photos! I love those 'secret' gardens too, so quaint. I wonder how much it is to live there, not cheap I can imagine.

Not good that the restaurant was in the dodgy part of town, I remember you telling me about it. Thank god it was a good meal otherwise Andy really would have complained . Jim would never have let me live down my planning fail had it been me

Great idea to get a pedi cab back to the hotel and you got back in one piece, I don't think I'd have felt guilty either

All in all a great day
Yeah the $8 entrance fee... but then we didn’t have to pay for parking ..
Ooh the wine bar and the meat platter . It was delicious and we pretty much ate the lot!
The historic quarter in Charleston blew me away. I couldn’t take enough pics , every house was gorgeous and each one different to the next.

Ha ha yeah that walk. Not to be repeated. Proper tourist error. But the restaurant was worth the trip ! Andy was totally converted to pedi cabs. That’s the end of him walking anywhere now
WileyCoyote is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Oh, I do love a pretty building... and Charleston is full of them by the looks of it, and I enjoyed reading the historical boards as well. Really beautiful buildings, it must have been a lovely walk. That looks a nice little wine bar to while away the afternoon in too.

Oh dear, it must have been frightening as you walked into the more isolated areas towards the restaurant. I would have been extremely anxious too. The restaurant does look a nice place, and I'm glad you both enjoyed the food. I bet you were glad of the bike ride back to your hotel.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
The photos of the day are really awesome but the words maybe not quite so much. Wondering now what tomorrow is going to bring...
Ha ha, it was a day of two halves for sure

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Charleston looks lovely and sounds like you ate well - yikes on the scary walk and the cyclist near miss though!
Yep, we can laugh about it now but just re telling the story of that walk brings me out in a sweat.

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Oh, I do love a pretty building... and Charleston is full of them by the looks of it, and I enjoyed reading the historical boards as well. Really beautiful buildings, it must have been a lovely walk. That looks a nice little wine bar to while away the afternoon in too.

Oh dear, it must have been frightening as you walked into the more isolated areas towards the restaurant. I would have been extremely anxious too. The restaurant does look a nice place, and I'm glad you both enjoyed the food. I bet you were glad of the bike ride back to your hotel.
It was really interesting Lynda, as was Savannah. We learned so much. Yes anxious is a good word. It was a great place but sometimes taxis are better than walking !
Andy says the wine bar was one of his favourite spots on the holiday. It was a great little place.
WileyCoyote is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Wow, some truly stunning buildings today.

Scary walk to the restaurant. I'm a big chicken so would not have done well with that at all. Restaurant looked really nice in the end though.

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by scottishnellie View Post
Wow, some truly stunning buildings today.

Scary walk to the restaurant. I'm a big chicken so would not have done well with that at all. Restaurant looked really nice in the end though.
It is beautiful. Everywhere was gorgeous in that quarter. I think the most fascinating set of house I have seen with all the styles and history.
Ha ha, what are like , rookie tourist error
Old 22 Feb 20, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
be1985
Trying for More Ears

Loved looking through your photos, we've been to Charleston twice and loved it. The dodgy parts are worryingly easy to walk in to. We were on our way our for lunch, it was only 15 minutes walk from Francis Marion. A guy pulled over the car and said to my husband 'it's fine for you to be here but I wouldn't bring my wife and kids'. Husband had us practically running to the restaurant!
be1985 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by be1985 View Post
Loved looking through your photos, we've been to Charleston twice and loved it. The dodgy parts are worryingly easy to walk in to. We were on our way our for lunch, it was only 15 minutes walk from Francis Marion. A guy pulled over the car and said to my husband 'it's fine for you to be here but I wouldn't bring my wife and kids'. Husband had us practically running to the restaurant!
Thank you. Isn’t it just so easy to stray! I wondered if we had over egged it but we really were quite concerned the further we walked. We just felt that we stuck out so obviously as tourists
But that historic quarter ... so beautiful
Old 18 Feb 21, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

This is so on my Deep South list of places to visit, whenever we might be able to do it!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 21, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Twentyyears View Post
This is so on my Deep South list of places to visit, whenever we might be able to do it!
So many lovely places to visit. Definitely could do with more time in some of them. We’ve warmed to Charleston over time since I wrote this. Strangely we felt the same about Nashville and said we would never go back but as time goes on we think we might give it another try. Let’s hope we can be trip planning soon