Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Feb 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

I've been looking at an integrated security light / camera to go on my garage, bit pricey but I've settled on the Ring Floodlight Cam

shop.ring/products/flood...nt=56549563083
Old 21 Feb 20, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Do5-BaG View Post
I've been looking at an integrated security light / camera to go on my garage, bit pricey but I've settled on the Ring Floodlight Cam

Nice kit.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
costco/Home-Improv...meras/p/260934
I also bought two extra cameras so have front, steps, patio, side, and garden covered.
All recordings onto a HD as well as viewing on an app.
Rob
swann is a reasonably well known brand, and as far as i know provide security updates for their products.

a lot of cheap DVR bundles, especially random no-name chinese brands
off amazon/ebay/etc don't get security patches, so are potentially more vulnerable to hacking (and potentially becoming a botnet zombie node as well as allowing hackers to view your cameras or even worse access your home network!)

so before you buy a specific unit, do a bit of googling, check their website, see if there are any recent software updates for the kit youre buying!

theregister/2016/0..._cctv_cameras/
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I recommend ESP SHD systems. Easy to set up, very good quality and after sales from TLC who sell them, plus ESP technical support are very helpful (and in the UK). The police were very impressed with the picture quality at night, but I have mine set to day mode 24/7 because I have good lighting so it captures things in good quality (most night settings are black and white).

Plus the esp app is very good for viewing the cctv from anywhere and playing it back (I always recommend using an ethernet connection to the cctv unit if you want to monitor it away from home).

When we had an attempted break in, the scum covered their faces, so despite the good quality images they couldn't be identified. This is unfortunately the norm nowadays with so many people with cctv that the thieves cover up. For house security, I would always recommend both cctv and a decent alarm (not diyer systems like response or yale).

Edited at 03:59 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Do5-BaG View Post

We have this. Really happy with the setup. We have one front and back, the spot can on side entrance (I wouldn’t recommend that one though) and the pro doorbell.

We also have the ring alarm.

We can control everything out and about which I really like.

Only thing I’m not happy with is the lack of external siren for the alarm, however it does contact us via phone if it’s goes off. Going forward we’ll add an external siren or hopefully they’ll add functionality to make the floodlight siren ring when the alarm is triggered.

Apparently external alarms aren’t used in US so that’s why it wasn’t added.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

We have a full bells and whistles house alarm. We were advised that thieves find this more of a deterrent. Many cover their faces so they're not easily identifiable on cameras. We have a cheap £30 TP link camera that covers our driveway from inside the house. It records whenever it detects movement, you can set the sensitivities etc. And we have another camera indoors that covers the lounge diner and back doors and windows. Also movement sensor security lights that come on outside.

Edited at 05:25 PM.
TheHughesCrew is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm also thinking of upgrading our home security, we have decent locks and a hard wired alarm system. Hopefully enough to deter the opportunist but if they're determined it probably won't make much difference what you have in place, as demonstrated in the clip below.

We watched our home get burgled
pompeyboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We have the blink system with 3 cameras. We have just ordered another one that you can talk through so we will have 5 cameras in total. I feel happier knowing that everything is ok and I can check all my doors etc.

We also have high gates to the back. The front door is a special lock on it (Ultion) so I feel happy with that. Our French doors have a Patlock on them.

We also have an alarm that is a security firm fitted system, its serviced every year.

I am totally aware that if they want to get in, they will.

Weirdly though, our road has very few houses with security cameras so my theory is that our house would cause issues to a burglar so they would try elsewhere?

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Looking into it today and I could cry, I had no idea it would cost hundreds. We can’t afford to do what I want.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by TC Devon View Post
Looking into it today and I could cry, I had no idea it would cost hundreds. We can’t afford to do what I want.
Don’t get disheartened there is a lot you can do for not much money.
Get a CCTV sign off E Bay and put that on the front of the house, buy a dummy alarm box and stick that at the rear. Plant prickly bushes as burglars hate them - they leave DNA on them!
Invest in a few timers controlling lamps and or the TV
Basically stroll around your house as if you are a burglar and see what can be improved. Bet there are a few things that can be done cheaply.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List