Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Feb 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
I have a friend who recently had a fall out with one of her other friends but they have just sort of made up. So each year at Xmas the other friend buys my friend a voucher - I think maybe a WOWCHER or GROUPON type thing where they do say gin tasting or a spa session together and she did the same at Xmas. So the event was due to happen soon and so as they were only just back on track and things are early days my friend mentioned it asking were they still going ahead. And the friend had cancelled it and got her money back!
I was shocked! If I bought someone an Xmas prezzie if that kind of thing I would assume they would just take someone else. I asked my dd and she said if she still had the voucher details she would also cancel it - but I don’t think I could. That’s like asking for your present back if you fall out.
WWUD?
I'm not certain who this affects? Is it you, your friend or your other friend?
Which one has Hypothermia?
Heres how I would treat Hypothermia though:

Be gentle. When you're helping a person with hypothermia, handle him or her gently. Limit movements to only those that are necessary. Don't massage or rub the person. Excessive, vigorous or jarring movements may trigger cardiac arrest.
Move the person out of the cold. Move the person to a warm, dry location if possible. If you're unable to move the person out of the cold, shield him or her from the cold and wind as much as possible. Keep him or her in a horizontal position if possible.
Remove wet clothing. If the person is wearing wet clothing, remove it. Cut away clothing if necessary to avoid excessive movement.
Cover the person with blankets. Use layers of dry blankets or coats to warm the person. Cover the person's head, leaving only the face exposed.
Insulate the person's body from the cold ground. If you're outside, lay the person on his or her back on a blanket or other warm surface.
Monitor breathing. A person with severe hypothermia may appear unconscious, with no apparent signs of a pulse or breathing. If the person's breathing has stopped or appears dangerously low or shallow, begin CPR immediately if you're trained.
Provide warm beverages. If the affected person is alert and able to swallow, provide a warm, sweet, nonalcoholic, noncaffeinated beverage to help warm the body.
Use warm, dry compresses. Use a first-aid warm compress (a plastic fluid-filled bag that warms up when squeezed) or a makeshift compress of warm water in a plastic bottle or a dryer-warmed towel. Apply a compress only to the neck, chest wall or groin.

Don't apply a warm compress to the arms or legs. Heat applied to the arms and legs forces cold blood back toward the heart, lungs and brain, causing the core body temperature to drop. This can be fatal.

Don't apply direct heat. Don't use hot water, a heating pad or a heating lamp to warm the person. The extreme heat can damage the skin or, even worse, cause irregular heartbeats so severe that they can cause the heart to stop.

Hope this helps. Useful info though for seasonal activities too.

Edited at 10:15 AM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
I'm not certain who this affects? Is it you, your friend or your other friend?
Which one has Hypothermia?
Heres how I would treat Hypothermia though:

Be gentle. When you're helping a person with hypothermia, handle him or her gently. Limit movements to only those that are necessary. Don't massage or rub the person. Excessive, vigorous or jarring movements may trigger cardiac arrest.
Move the person out of the cold. Move the person to a warm, dry location if possible. If you're unable to move the person out of the cold, shield him or her from the cold and wind as much as possible. Keep him or her in a horizontal position if possible.
Remove wet clothing. If the person is wearing wet clothing, remove it. Cut away clothing if necessary to avoid excessive movement.
Cover the person with blankets. Use layers of dry blankets or coats to warm the person. Cover the person's head, leaving only the face exposed.
Insulate the person's body from the cold ground. If you're outside, lay the person on his or her back on a blanket or other warm surface.
Monitor breathing. A person with severe hypothermia may appear unconscious, with no apparent signs of a pulse or breathing. If the person's breathing has stopped or appears dangerously low or shallow, begin CPR immediately if you're trained.
Provide warm beverages. If the affected person is alert and able to swallow, provide a warm, sweet, nonalcoholic, noncaffeinated beverage to help warm the body.
Use warm, dry compresses. Use a first-aid warm compress (a plastic fluid-filled bag that warms up when squeezed) or a makeshift compress of warm water in a plastic bottle or a dryer-warmed towel. Apply a compress only to the neck, chest wall or groin.

Don't apply a warm compress to the arms or legs. Heat applied to the arms and legs forces cold blood back toward the heart, lungs and brain, causing the core body temperature to drop. This can be fatal.

Don't apply direct heat. Don't use hot water, a heating pad or a heating lamp to warm the person. The extreme heat can damage the skin or, even worse, cause irregular heartbeats so severe that they can cause the heart to stop.

Hope this helps.
They have hyperthermia not hypothermia i.e. heat exhaustion.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Well you live and learn. I have heard of the one but not the other.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Well you live and learn. I have heard of the one but not the other.
Hyper - too much

Hypo - too little.

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Always remember if it's a po its low, like the po that goes under the bed at night!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Hyper - too much

Hypo - too little.

Ahh, I remember the kids being hyper!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Oh Ok:

Heat Exhaustion
The body’s response to fluid loss (usually due to excessive sweating), heat exhaustion is relatively easy to manage but must be treated quickly to prevent the more dangerous condition of heatstroke developing.

The signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion include:

Muscle cramps
Profuse sweating
Headaches or dizziness
Thirst
Weakness
Nausea
Dark-coloured urine
Treatment for heat exhaustion should include:

Lying down in the shade or cooler environment (out of the sun)
Loosening and removing of excessive clothing
Sipping cool water
Cooling down with a water atomiser or fan

Treatment for heat stroke should include:

Primary survey (DRSABCD)
Call 000 for an ambulance
Lay casualty down in the shade or cooler environment (out of the sun)
Remove excess clothing
Cool the casualty rapidly by applying ice packs to the neck, groin and armpits
Sponge or spray the casualty with water and fan their skin
Have the casualty sip cool water if conscious
Monitor casualty
Do not give the casualty aspirin or paracetamol as this can make things worse.

What caused this? The return of the voucher? Who was ultimately affected? Was treatment administered?

Edited at 10:34 AM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
I was confused too - still am!
Me too ...
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
joanie1
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Do you think she meant to say hypothetical? 😀
Old 26 Feb 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

weirdest one on here for ages

and thats up against some pretty stiff competition...
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List