Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Feb 20, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Respect.

Also, because it's a time you can feel so alienated from the world carrying on around you, if people nod their heads or draw their curtains (I didn't know about that), it can make you feel less alone. Like Claudette said, she noticed.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
I remember when my dad’s mum was being cremated. The hearse pulled up outside my dads house (he lived on a small street on a council estate), there were a few children ranging from about 4-10 years old pressing their heads onto the windows of the hearse where my dad’s mum’s coffin was...it was horrifying! My sister had to go out and tell them to move away. Then a bit later on when the hearse was driving away and down the street the kids chased it and us in the limo all the way up the next street...was absolutely awful, I know they’re children but still, I’d never expected that!

Edited at 07:08 PM.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
When I was a child we used to draw the curtains if there was a funeral in the road. I drew the curtains for my grandmothers funeral because she always did it.
I always close my curtains too, it was just always the done thing, I live close to our village church and people still stand with their heads bowed when a hearse is leaving the church, so many drivers though can't seem to wait to allow the hearse and following cars to go the 3 minutes from the church to the graveyard and go racing to overtake them. 😢
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nannad
Apprentice Imagineer

If there is a funeral cortege waiting to come out of a junction, I always stop and let the whole lot out, couldn’t care less what traffic think behind me. When we came back to the pub for my mum’s wake, we all got out of the funeral cars, my sisters, nieces, grandchildren all waiting to go in the pub, we ended up banging on the doors to be let in, my mum would have really laughed at that, don’t know what people must have thought

Edited at 08:03 PM.
Nannad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Mackenzies03
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I’m not going to lie- I probably would have gone down a side street or something so I wasn’t the car directly behind in just in case anything happened and I went into the back of it 😳 or out of worry that I’d accidentally joined in the parade of associated cars! I don’t mean from not paying attention but if my brakes failed or something! Couldn’t imagine being rude enough to go around it though- really not okay.
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Many years ago when I was at 6th form in school all of us did a sponsored conga through the local town in aid of a local charity. All the girls wore pyjamas and all the men wore nighties. We all wore loads of fun make up. As we were crossing over a bridge a funeral procession went up the road past us and we all stopped and bowed our heads. None of us said anything - it was just an automatic reaction for us all. There were about 60 of us.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
On a lighter note when my BIL passed away we couldn’t keep up with the hearse on the motorway on the journey to the churchyard where he is buried. It was somewhat apt though as he would have loved it - he never was one who paid much attention to speed limits.
My MIL says that when she passes away she wants the hearse to drive as quickly as it is allowed to! My DH did not believe me so I had to make sure she told him too!
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile

My parents house is up a tiny no through road. On the day of my dads funeral we were all in the house waiting for the herse and head a beeping... there was a lorry reversing up the road to deliver flooring to the next door. My brother and i went out to ask if he could olease either oull right tonthe end of the road and wait or go out of the road and wait as the coffin was avout five mins away. He refused. We asked him to please be considerate and just wait a few mins and we had a mouthful about delivery times. I said five mins wont make any difference, you could be held uo anywhere for any readon for that amount of time, please leave the riad clear? We got a mouthful of abuse and he went to reverse at some speed and nearly ran over my brother. I had to bang on the side of the van to stop him. He then very begrudgingly agreed to leave the road, and pulled forward and out, clipping my shoulder with the wing mirror. Just as he had cleared the end of the rd the cars were approaching to turn in. We reported it to the police, they treated it as a road traffic incident and fail to report a collision i think. The driver had to do a driving course, and i think may also have got a fine and points but i cant remember. All he had to do was wait five mins . Thankfully my mother didnt see as the sitting room of the house is not facing out to the front of the road.
Old 26 Feb 20, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

I even turn the radio off in the car if I pass.I just think it’s disrespectful to drive past with music playing and singing along.
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 02:16 AM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
On a lighter note when my BIL passed away we couldn’t keep up with the hearse on the motorway on the journey to the churchyard where he is buried. It was somewhat apt though as he would have loved it - he never was one who paid much attention to speed limits.
My dad could hardly keep up with his brother's hearse, he said "Bl###y h#ll Ben, they're making sure they get rid of you quick"
I took my mam to her sister's funeral and we all lost the hearse We had to stop for a fire engine on a call, the hearse went ahead and never checked that we were all following. We then got held up by the ship canal bridge, still no hearse in sight. Luckily they had been delayed so we all didn't miss the funeral.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List