Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 24 Apr 20, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I don't know where one of the previous posters gets their bread but I have never paid £2.30 for a loaf. To get a Winn Dixie loyalty card just go to customer services and use your villa address details and they give you a card straight away.
Old 24 Apr 20, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We are happy to give all our Villa guests our Winne Dixie code they have got real picky if there is an existing code
It is a great saving we have saved $235 dollars this year alone last
Year now we were at the villa between us and the family 190 days it was $ 790 plus $79 in money off at the till and discounted scrips at the pharmacy me last month $45 on a script for antibiotics for a throat and ear infection
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mrs rcch
Imagineer

At Christmas we were at Indian Shores, and used Publix, Dollar Tree and Walmart.
Dollar Tree was for the basics, toilet roll, kitchen roll, wash up liquid, salt pepper etc.
Walmart was for bread ($1 for sliced, and baguettes) butter, cooked meats (seemed more expensive than UK, but larger packs)
Publix for when we wanted “something special”

Like others have said, the first shop appears to be more expensive than the UK, but you have a lot more food for your money.

Mince I think was about $8 for a huge pack, 2 jars of sauce from Dollar Tree, and we had 4 meals for 2 adults.

Villa holidays can be as cheap or expensive as you make them
mrs rcch is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

DS and I had 2 weeks in a villa 4 years ago just us before DH & DD flew out to join us, the rationale was that we were paying the flights & needed to eat anyway & it'd be easier to entertain him with a pool, games room and sunshine, we planned to cook in the villa together in order to spend no more than we would have at home.

Well we ended up spending a fortune on food, the nice cuts of steak, fresh fish etc. was just far too tempting for these foodies.

I'm sure you CAN eat cheaper by cooking but we didn't manage it.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

I must admit we have only done a villa/condi twice and as a family of 4 (2 a & 2 teens) it worked out quite expensive to eat in we also liked the vibe of places like bahama breeze so we generally ate out. We will see how we go this time but we are already signing up for discount codes etc for our Christmas trip
Old 6 May 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
MrPrice
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by dotb View Post
We always found it cheaper to eat out than buy groceries and then cook. Supermarkets seem very expensive over there. The most we have ever done is buy a hot chicken and some salad.
We always stay in a villa and we too find it cheaper to eat out than buy food. When we have bought food to eat in the villa we found there to be a lot wasted due to not fancying what was in at the time or wanting to eat out.

There are plenty of places to eat cheaply, WaWa's is a good example. The food is always hot and fresh, the coffee is great and they usually have offers on for any size cup for a dollar or so.
MrPrice is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
The other thing you can do to save some money is to take cereal, snack bars,crackers, tins of beans etc with you to save a wee bit. My DH is celiac so we do this anyway as gluten free items are much more expensive than at home.
We always buy a roast chicken from Publix and have with baked potatoes as salad for a few nights and a few big tubs of ice cream and sauce for desserts. All the little savings can help but we also get fed up of eating out every day.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List