Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Aug 18, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Can't answer all your questions but I'll try to answer what I can!

Originally Posted by kk20 View Post
[LIST][*]Is there enough to do for 4/5 hours without going into disney on the first day? We land at 10:30 so I expect to be arriving in disney area about 13:00 to 14:00. Is there a "downtown" type area? I know if i'd never been to DLP then there is definitely enough to keep me busy for 4/5 hours (DD would be in the lego shop the whole time I suspect... )
There is a shopping mall, Ikspiari ikspiari/en/, right next to the Maihama (i.e. Disney) train station. There is also a Disney store in the same vicinity. There is some stuff to wander around there but I'm not entirely sure I would spend a whole 4/5 hours there? There are food options too.

Tokyo Disney also does twilight tickets tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/ticket/index.html so if you wanted to you could actually go in for a few hours in the late afternoon/evening.

[*]Hilton Tokyo Bay is coming in about 21.6K¥ inc breakfast. This is about £150pn (depending on exchange of course). Is this a reasonable price to expect for room plus breakfast or am I best waiting? I have no experience of tokyo or disney area, this (on the face) seems a little steep but then again is IS in the disney area.
I think I might have paid more for the Sheraton Tokyo Bay when I went a few years ago, but I didn't manage to get any really good discounts for when I went.

I actually found the Disney area hotels much cheaper than hotels in central Tokyo, probably because Disney is considered to be on the outskirts of Tokyo!

[*]do disney tickets (for the park) have offers or is is "book as quick as you can because the price only goes up!"?
I don't believe the price went up at all and it was more or less a flat rate for the entry tickets. I've heard from friends that they've gotten slight discounts by buying from places like Klook but have no experience with this myself.

I bought my tickets when I checked in at the Disney resorts hotel area check in place next to Maihama station (basically, you can check in there, go off and enjoy the parks/Tokyo/etc, then go straight to the hotel and they will have brought bags to your room for you - and can also do other check in type things there like buy tickets).

[*]now that airbnb will be a "no go" by the time we go next July, I will be looking at a cheap apartment. How are taxi fares in Japan compared to say London? I intend using the train to get from Disney to central Tokyo then a taxi from the station to a "central ish" apartment. Foot and bus will suffice when we have gotten rid of our cases.
From everything I've heard taxi fares in Japan are horrendous. I seem to remember hearing a friend complaining about paying the equivalent of around £100 when she once arrived at Narita airport after the last bus had left the airport - not sure how accurate this is but if it is it sounds horrendously high for a taxi ride!

Public transport in Tokyo is amazing though!
Old 8 Aug 18, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

We are currently in Tokyo (actually outskirts) and as sky13 says the public transport is very good. The train system is very easy to use and you can get to most places using the JR pass. It’s cost me £1100 for a two week pass for 2 adults plus a 12 year old and a nine year old. For trains that are not covered we have paid a maximum of 210 yen for a single trip.

We booked our Disney tickets direct with Disney online.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Mobile

ok. Next bit done. Booked Okura Tokyo Bay for 4 nights at a shade over 100 per night for the 4 of us.

We have scrapped the idea of a coastal visit. From Disney we will activate a 7 day JR pass and have booked Kyoto for 5 nights on an airbnb (good reviews with new system), its a 2 bedroom 2 storey house just outside the station and will be about 90pn with all the fees. Then its back to tokyo in another airbnb for 5 nights. Being tokyo this is only an apartment though but the same price. Finally transfer to haneda.

Osaka USJ will be a 'day trip' from Kyoto.

Next, learn Japanese! We have all been doing 15 mins of lingodeer for the past 2 months.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Accommodation booked. AirBnB in Kyoto (5 mins from the main station, small house). AirBnB in Tokyo, apartment 10 mins walk from Ueno (and round the corner from a 7-11).

Rough itinerary planned:
  • Land, get acquainted, leave baggage at Okura, Ikspiari, check in officially and early ish night even though we will be on UK time still.
  • I doubt getting up early will be an issue and that is good as we will be hitting the parks for 3 full days. Breakfast will be from Ikspiari along with some park snacks from the convenience stores. Join the queues at ropedrop!
  • Decamp to Kyoto
  • roughly fleshed out as light day with local area in morning (supermarket etc) afternoon use subway and explore a bit of downtown Kyoto (pontoncho etc in the early evening), maybe a bit of slow paced shopping after disney madness!
  • Other highlights for the next few days include various temples, imperial palace, a few light walks (bamboo forest etc), night/evening walk through Gion etc.
  • Osaka, well USJ so not really Osaka. This will be a day trip and the kids dont know. Shhhh. This is also the bit that might get "cut" if we are low on funds. We will get the tickets in Japan.
  • Decamp to Tokyo, Ueno. Let the madess begin.
  • Mix of Pokemon, Manga, weird fashion, robot show (yes, madness.), stopping OH doing the mario kart race. This section is still a lot of post it notes so we dont have a lot in the plan yet. Ghibli museum is on the list now as is maid cafe, pokemon cafe.
  • Home via Haneda then work the next day (! )

Learning Japanese is still ongoing, I have stuck with Lingodeer but there has been a breakaway faction with DuoLingo. I can fluently inform people that there is (is not) a cat under a table, that there are rocks and flowers in the park, and ask for various items. It is ongoing and quite fun - I still cannot master reading or writing, it will not stick in my brain but the speaking and crucially listening back is going in (I will be very slow but am prepared with a stock phrases to appologise for this!)

Edited at 02:30 PM.
Old 15 Feb 19, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Websites we are using for ideas and information:

Utility sites
Disney Itinerary Ideas
Kyoto
Tokyo
Youtube Videos
  • (they have 5 blogs in disney, this is a link to one of them)
  • (this guy has LOADS of walking videos, he has a google map list of where they are too)

Edited at 04:03 PM.
Old 15 Feb 19, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Thanks for this. Some of these links are new to me - I will investigate!

I love looking at the travel YouTube videos but I actually start feeling weird when watching them. It’s like travel sickness. LOL.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Mobile

How time flies, 3 days to go. Everything booked and ready. Despite my trying to get Ghibli tickets I was unable to when they were released. The website ground to a halt and nothing left four our dates, oh well.

The rest is all booked and planned. JR voucher tickets have arrived, robot restaurant vouchers here. Nara kimono booking and tea ceremony done. Hyperdia shinkansen times ready to book.

Dianey prep completed, kindles loaded, power bricks and chargers ready. Power plugs and 4 ways done.

Excited now.
Old 3 Jul 19, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Enjoy and come back with an update. I'd love to go next April but haven't a clue on where to start.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Try and find an English speaker in Lawton / Family Mart and see if their ticket kiosks I store have Ghibli tickets.

Originally Posted by kk20 View Post
How time flies, 3 days to go. Everything booked and ready. Despite my trying to get Ghibli tickets I was unable to when they were released. The website ground to a halt and nothing left four our dates, oh well.

The rest is all booked and planned. JR voucher tickets have arrived, robot restaurant vouchers here. Nara kimono booking and tea ceremony done. Hyperdia shinkansen times ready to book.

Dianey prep completed, kindles loaded, power bricks and chargers ready. Power plugs and 4 ways done.

Excited now.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 19, 06:00 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Have a wonderful time! Can’t wait to hear all about it! 👍
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List