Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Nov 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Just got an email to say Engineer can come 21st December instead of 6th January if we prefer - acceped that 👍
Old 28 Nov 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
allycat228
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

After you place your order if you go on the website and track order it gives you the opportunity to reschedule visit, it shows when the engineers are next in your area, if it comes after your new date there’s a back button to press.

I changed my dads from the 11th of January to the 22nd of December then finally to the 6th

He’d decided to switch to bt, what a blooming mistake
allycat228 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Just got an email to say Engineer can come 21st December instead of 6th January if we prefer - acceped that 👍
Nice Christmas surprise! I’m so glad we bit the bullet and changed. We were just plodding along with the Sky+ with an outdated and overpriced package muttering that we would do it one day.
Really please with what we have now
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

That's magic !
Well done.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by allycat228 View Post
After you place your order if you go on the website and track order it gives you the opportunity to reschedule visit, it shows when the engineers are next in your area, if it comes after your new date there’s a back button to press.
I changed my dads from the 11th of January to the 22nd of December then finally to the 6th
He’d decided to switch to bt, what a blooming mistake
I have just been on our account and checked and yes I found what your talking about. I will give it a couple of days and see if I can get it even sooner then.
Old 23 Dec 19, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Well the engineers came yesterday. Started taking the old box out, wires etc. Checked where wifi hub was & where the mini box was to go - that was as good as it got - all went down hill after that!
They went outside to see where the dish was to go as we would need a new one.
We live in a bungalow and our old dish is on the roof behind the chimney. Has been there 14 years, we get great reception unless it's really windy due to having two 250 year old Oak trees in the garden. We live in a conservation area. The trees being the reason the dish was needed to be on the roof originally.
Nowadays due to Health & Safety regs the engineers are not allowed to go up to put the dish on the roof! Long discussion ensued due to the fact that the dish put on the side of the house having to face towards said oak trees will not be high enough to pick up the satellite signal. Only suggestion is to put a large ugly S shaped pole on the side of our bungalow ! Said pole was produced and even the engineers agreed how awful they look & said they di move about in the wind and they could not honestly guarantee a perfect continual reception. So the old box was replaced and the engineers submitted their notes to say the job was a no go due to no fault of ours. Last night Sky telephoned to apologise that we would be unable to have Sky Q and we would revert back to our old deal but at £45 a month instead of the original £67.50 we were paying & we would keep the full Sports package at no cost. Better than nothing but so very disappointing & of course what happens as n when anything happens to the old box or dish eventually :-(
Old 23 Dec 19, 04:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Better than nothing but so very disappointing & of course what happens as n when anything happens to the old box or dish eventually :-(
Oh that's disappointing.

Your dish does not need replacing.

The LNB on your dish has to be changed.

An independent aerial/satellite installer will have the necessary (cat) ladders to do this for you.

SKY use various third party installers, plus their own installers, unfortunately, it's the luck of the draw, the ones that turned up for you either didn't have the ladders, or decided it would be expedient to move on to their next job.
The way SKY pay installers it often makes sense to 'do the easy ones'.
When our dish was due to be fitted, SKY sent a van without ladders long enough to reach our roof. They reported back that a 'Special Heights Team' needed to come out.
The SHT turned up and said they couldn't do the job as it was too high.
Our local aerial installer, a 65 year old semi-retired chap, whizzed up and did it in ten minutes.
I would get back to SKY on chat and get this sorted for the new year.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Oh that's disappointing.

An independent aerial/satellite installer will have the necessary (cat) ladders to do this for you.

SKY use various third party installers, plus their own installers, unfortunately, it's the luck of the draw, the ones that turned up for you either didn't have the ladders, or decided it would be expedient to move on to their next job.
When our dish was due to be fitted, SKY sent a van without ladders long enough to reach our roof. They reported back that a 'Special Heights Team' needed to come out.
Our local aerial installer, a 65 year old semi-retired chap, whizzed up and did it in ten minutes.
Very true words. I have used a local TV aerial company for the last 30+ years. They are up on the roof in 2 mins flat.
OP. I would do exactly what was suggested in the post I have replied to.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
If the dish is 14 years old it will be a legacy one, so it will probably have to be replaced, what you need to do is arrange for sky to come back on a certain date and arrange for a independent to change the dish and lnb the day before. You will only be without sky for 1 day then. You will have to pay the independent to change the dish and a sky q lnb , I normally charge about £89 to do that but it will be different in other areas around the U.K.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Hotlush
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Oh that's disappointing.

When we moved took the Q box with us and couldn't get it working with the dish already in place.
Sky sent out an engineer who had no problem replacing the LNB on a three story property... really is luck of the draw.
Hotlush is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List