Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Apr 20, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Disneyland Aug 2021 - potential itinerary added post 17

So... if our WDW holiday can't happen this summer then I need to think of an alternative plan. I dont want to do WDW in 2021 due to the 50th celebrations and so my thoughts have turned to the west coast.

This is all new to me though so I need your help!

For WDW we had planned a full on week in the parks on site and then a more chilled week exploring from a villa.

For DL it seems we wouldn't need as many park days and I wouldn't know what else to do for chill time on the west coast.

So...

What is it like at the end of Aug over there? (Temp, crowds etc.)

What else could we bolt on to our holiday to make the most of been out there? (A cruise maybe but where from? )

I would love to do Burbank (I know we can't get a tour but would just love to see it) and the Disney Family museum but I know that they are in two very different places and it would be a lot of travelling.

Would our £7500 budget be enough for 2 weeks for 2 adults and 2 teens? (Excl spends)

I know it's a how long is a piece of string question but I want to be prepared with alternatives for the TA to start looking at if things dont work out for this year.

Edited at 11:45 AM.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I totally recommend San Diego for a place which is great to chill out but had loads of stuff to do. Two hours drive south from Anaheim.

You could fly into San Francisco, have a few days there (including the WDFM which is AMAZING for a Disney fan), then drive down the coast over a few days ending in Anaheim (DL) then finish in San Diego.
Old 3 Apr 20, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

It feels daunting but it’s an amazing experience! We went in 2018 and to begin with it was hard going knowing where to go and how to get there and what’s there! This forum is amazing and if you look at past posts loads of itinerary ideas(plus read the trip reports). It becomes a part time job but good use of your time now whilst we are all stuck in. It’s a vast place and to get the most of it you need to be prepared to drive. However you could get internal flights to save a bit of driving.
Good luck with the planning
I wouldn’t say you will chill as there is so much to see and do you won’t want to stop!
Old 3 Apr 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
It feels daunting but it’s an amazing experience! We went in 2018 and to begin with it was hard going knowing where to go and how to get there and what’s there! This forum is amazing and if you look at past posts loads of itinerary ideas(plus read the trip reports). It becomes a part time job but good use of your time now whilst we are all stuck in. It’s a vast place and to get the most of it you need to be prepared to drive. However you could get internal flights to save a bit of driving.
Good luck with the planning
I wouldn’t say you will chill as there is so much to see and do you won’t want to stop!
Thank you. I lie ever so slightly as I have been before 24 years ago on a 2 week coach tour of the west coast when I was 14 with Ma and Pa! It was amazing but hard work. I think that is what puts me off in a way and makes me want to put in some chill time.

I am a tad excited at the prospect and if we do end up with our original holiday this year I'm definitely putting it on the cards for the future.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 20, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
Thank you. I lie ever so slightly as I have been before 24 years ago on a 2 week coach tour of the west coast when I was 14 with Ma and Pa! It was amazing but hard work. I think that is what puts me off in a way and makes me want to put in some chill time.

I am a tad excited at the prospect and if we do end up with our original holiday this year I'm definitely putting it on the cards for the future.
There is no reason why you can’t have chill time! I suppose it depends on how long you go for and how important it it to see lots. I always go with the thought ‘what if we are never lucky enough to come back’ so have a heavy itinerary but you don’t have to especially if you know you will/can go back
Old 5 Apr 20, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We are meant to be going on August 22nd this year for our first time so are bracing ourselves to reorganise for the same time next year! We have been so excited and done so much planning that although we wanted to do WDW next year after not visiting since 2017 we can’t just not do the road trip now so WDW will have to go on hold!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 20, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
We are meant to be going on August 22nd this year for our first time so are bracing ourselves to reorganise for the same time next year! We have been so excited and done so much planning that although we wanted to do WDW next year after not visiting since 2017 we can’t just not do the road trip now so WDW will have to go on hold!
🤞🤞🤞 that you can go but if not I might see you there next year instead!

Would you mind sharing your plans with me to give me some inspiration or is it too painful at the moment?
Old 5 Apr 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Thought I would hijack this thread if you don’t mind. We are in the same boat holding, our breath (not optimistically) regarding our July Florida trip.
There has been a few tears in our house as I have started to manage their expectations about the likelihood of going.
I am now trying to find a way of doing something bigger and better for 2021 which I am just starting to ponder a Florida/California adventure in one hit if I can get 4 weeks off work in one hit.
We are a family of 5. If next year it will be DD 19, DD6 and DS 4. How long would you recommend to do in California. We would be looking to do Disneyland, universal and some sights... maybe a day whale watching. I really have little idea of the geography apart from a little googling this morning.
I am thinking of 7-10 days in California. Do you think that would be long enough to do the things we want to do? I don’t want to cut Florida to much less than 3 weeks if I can help it? Any thoughts on taking my youngest to to the west coast? I know the internal flight would be a bit of a bind but I think we could deal with that.
Edit. We would also be looking at August into early September I would think.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 20, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

If you can spare four weeks, spend them in California! There is so much to do. We’ve done quite a few three week trips now and always wish we had more time.

Orlando is a distant second preference now.

But California is a different type of holiday - so many attractions, wonderful national parks, beautiful iconic drives, theme parks are there but it’s not like Orlando where there is a large number within a short drive.

Also (this is the tight side of me) I wouldn’t want the extra cost - quite considerable for a family - of two sets of park tickets for California and Orlando.

You’d also lose a day travelling from one coast to the other.

With four weeks you could do:

San Francisco
Yosemite
Drive down PCH with overnight stays at a few places
LA for sights and theme parks
Anaheim for Disneyland
San Diego
Las Vegas
Death Valley

Etc etc - loads I’ve missed out too
Old 5 Apr 20, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
If you can spare four weeks, spend them in California! There is so much to do. We’ve done quite a few three week trips now and always wish we had more time.

Orlando is a distant second preference now.

But California is a different type of holiday - so many attractions, wonderful national parks, beautiful iconic drives, theme parks are there but it’s not like Orlando where there is a large number within a short drive.

Also (this is the tight side of me) I wouldn’t want the extra cost - quite considerable for a family - of two sets of park tickets for California and Orlando.

You’d also lose a day travelling from one coast to the other.

With four weeks you could do:

San Francisco
Yosemite
Drive down PCH with overnight stays at a few places
LA for sights and theme parks
Anaheim for Disneyland
San Diego
Las Vegas
Death Valley

Etc etc - loads I’ve missed out too
Do you know what? If it was the wife and I and possibly just the eldest It would probably a plan like that. However, our youngest two are Disney mad and if we miss out on this years trip I feel I just have to do orlando. Also, I’m desperate to do Vegas again but not with the kids 😂

As much as we would love to see Yosemite etc I just don’t think it will have the same impact for the kids as orlando.
A proper west coat road trip will definitely be in future plans for us though as they get a bit older.
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List