Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Apr 20, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mulv2222
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile How is this plan?

We are 2a 2c (14 & 17) planning 2 weeks in October. Ds really wants to visit some Cali beaches, dd wants to visit Disney, all HHN at Universal for a night, we all want to visit the Grand Canyon and San Diego.

4 nights around Santa Monica, 3 nights around Anaheim (other beach areas?). Fly/drive to Las Vegas for 3 nights, visit south rim, drive to San Diego via arial tramway, 4 nights San Diego, back to LAX to fly home.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea how to go about planning this side of the states 😬

Is this
mulv2222 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mulv2222 View Post
We are 2a 2c (14 & 17) planning 2 weeks in October. Ds really wants to visit some Cali beaches, dd wants to visit Disney, all HHN at Universal for a night, we all want to visit the Grand Canyon and San Diego.

4 nights around Santa Monica, 3 nights around Anaheim (other beach areas?). Fly/drive to Las Vegas for 3 nights, visit south rim, drive to San Diego via arial tramway, 4 nights San Diego, back to LAX to fly home.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea how to go about planning this side of the states 😬

Is this
too much in a short space of time

Day 1 Land LAX
Day 2 Santa Monica / LA
Day 3 Santa Monica / LA
Day 4 Santa Monica / LA
Day 5 Drive to Anaheim - no park day
Day 6 Disneyland
Day 7 Disneyland
Day 8 Travel to Vegas - full day travel just have time for evening meal and explore the hotel you stay in
Day 9 Vegas
Day 10 Vegas
Day 11 Vegas
Day 12 Travel to San Diego full day travel just have time for evening meal and explore the hotel you stay in
Day 13 San Diego
Day 14 San Diego
Day 15 Travel back to LAX
Day 16 Arrive back to UK

I would cut out the Vegas part and add the days to either the Santa Monica section, Anaheim section or San Diego section.

The distances involved and the time it takes are always underestimated by UK and Irish people who have never been to California before.

To put things in a bit of perspective,
  • London to Brighton would be comparable to Santa Monica to Disneyland / Anaheim
  • London to Newcastle would be comparable to Santa Monica to Vegas.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 20, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

LA to Vegas 4.5 hours.
The big drive is Vegas to San Diego via Palm Springs, 6 plus hours, for this I would actually Drop a day at the start and do a one night stop at Palm Springs.
We actually think overall it’s fine.

Edited at 06:00 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Joshua Tree NP is worth a visit while in Palm Springs. Views over the Coachella Valley are amazing.
Old 14 Apr 20, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

We did the drive from Vegas to Palm Springs (through the Mojave national park) 3 years ago and it is quite amazing. When we arrived and were sitting having a beer the barman remarked On our route and remarked locals wouldn’t use the road we took as you loose phone signal.

Edited at 06:26 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mulv2222
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thank you everyone for your suggestions👍 We'd like to do much more but can only fit in 2 weeks 😕

I'll do a search now, but what beaches do people suggest to visit? My son (17) has a romantic idea of Californian living and would like to experience it.. if it exists 😬
mulv2222 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Thank you everyone for your suggestions👍 We'd like to do much more but can only fit in 2 weeks 😕

I'll do a search now, but what beaches do people suggest to visit? My son (17) has a romantic idea of Californian living and would like to experience it.. if it exists 😬
For a 17 year old, Santa Monica or Venice Beach would be the typical California beach we see on TV.

The original Baywatch with David Hasselhof and Pamela Anderson was filmed at Santa Monica Beach.

Venice Beach is famous for muscle beach, the outdoor gym and weigh training. This is where Arnold Schwarzenegger used to train.

There is a boardwalk linking Santa Monica and Venice Beaches and thats where you will all the joggers, and rollerblading and cyclists.

Santa Monica Pier is also the end of the famous Route 66
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

In addition to those already suggested, if you preferred to visit the beach from your Anaheim base I’d totally suggest Huntington Beach - it’s where the Hollister camera is. We saw the US Surf Championships from there a few years ago and it was full of ‘Baywatch’ types! My young teens loved it!
Old 16 Apr 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mulv2222
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Great, thank you 👍 Now to look for accommodation...
Old 16 Apr 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
pritch
Apprentice Imagineer

pritch's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
with all the driving invest in a decent sat nav, i got one loaded up with California and Las Vegas area fro £30 on ebay.
San diego nice place, the aircraft carrier worth a visit and the french quarter at night ( you can even grab a bite to eat in the "Top Gun" Cafe were a few scenes filmed. try to catch a game at the baseball stadium, great atmosphere.
The drive to Vegas can be busy on Fridays with a lot of people heading that way.
The drive up from San Diego to LA is nice along the coast with some nice beaches to stop and have lunch at.
booked 7 nights at Redondo beach this summer 5 nights at the mardi gras in vegas on paradise and 5 nights LA Adventure hotel to once again do the touristy stuff, will be utilizing LA underground and rail network as the easiest way to get around, as parking can be a nightmare and expensive, not to bad AT Santa Monica as ample beach parking available.
if you can have a night on the Queen Mary lots to see and Churchill restaurant is very good.
Liki Tiki Resort Kissimee 09, Homewood Suites 10 Disneyland Anaheim 11. Coco Key I drive 12. AKL Arusha view 16. Ramada Maingate Kissimee 16, Disney All Star Music 16 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando 14/16/18/19/22 Serlago suites kissimmee 16 /22 Continental plaza i drive 16 Wakuhula Suites cocoa beach 16. International Palms cocoa beach 14/18/22, Hilton Cocoa Beach 08. Disney Dolphin 18
pritch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List